WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Most of my bear encounters had nothing to do with any scent. Most have been chance encounters on the trail and some were because I camped somewhere where they were use to finding food so they passed through on their nightly route. I've never had a bear in my camp when I wasn't in a high use spot and cooked dinner elsewhere and this includes many years in Yosemite.

I'm not saying reducing scents that may attract them is useless. But that other factors come into play that may be more important.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Miner View Post
    Most of my bear encounters had nothing to do with any scent. Most have been chance encounters on the trail and some were because I camped somewhere where they were use to finding food so they passed through on their nightly route. I've never had a bear in my camp when I wasn't in a high use spot and cooked dinner elsewhere and this includes many years in Yosemite.

I'm not saying reducing scents that may attract them is useless. But that other factors come into play that may be more important.
    Agree, the whole scent thing doesn't make sense. All the time bears are surprised by people which wouldn't happen it they can smell you X miles away. Whenever bears have come into my camp (always a heavily used camp) they always head straight for the usual spots food is hanging without sniffing around. Makes sense to reduce food scents, but being scent free isn't realistic. There's perfection, and there's reality.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++