WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by Traillium View Post
    Love the quote! … but that's not my style …

Bruce Traillium
    Not my style either, but it's a cute quote. I've been researching and training now for 4-5 months. Doing the whole trail has been in the back of my head since I was a kid growing up near the trail in NH.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Mtsman View Post
    There are certain threads that rub me the wrong way. This is one of them.

Is Mags advice solid and stable advice? Yes. Should it be required? absolutely not.

just my .02, YMMV, HYOH

I don't think anyone said anything was required. Suggested, yes.

Happy Trails..
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Don't really know what this thread is about so I guess I'm qualified to respond.

I suppose when you're 8 years old with your first pack you do a shakedown backpacking trip (hike included) afterwhich you have 70+ years to keep backpacking. A thruhike is just 5 or 6 months, what about the 75 years left of the rest of your life?

Here's my Rule Number One: If you're outdoors you're a success. If you're indoors you are a failure.

And who cares if you do a pre-trip hike or a post-trip hike or a shakedown hike or a shakeoff hike or a head-swivel hike or a backwards hike or go with a Tuba or barefoot or pull an interfaced thruhike with a yo-yo flip flop or do a dog hike at 1 foot off the ground?? Just get out.

Outside good, inside bad.

Lessons learned? I'm presently a human failure as I sit indoors typing.

Quote Originally Posted by pauly_j View Post
    True but who can say they have real experience of that situation? No one knows if they're going to enjoy walking all day every day for half a year until they've done it. .
    Not sure about that. A few weeks can do it. On the JMT in 2013 I reached the point where the PCT and JMT diverge at Crabtree Meadows and really wanted to walk all the way to Mexico rather than end my hike the next day. At the end of the Colorado Trail in 2014 (four weeks) I wanted to keep going. If you want to keep going after being out for a month, chances are a longer hike would work out well. So far the longest hike for me was around 7 weeks. If I can't thru hike it won't be because I don't want to.

Images

Have you geniuses ever realized that some of us who are not fanatical about hiking want to try the AT because we understand that it will be a new challenge and spending the allotted time on a trail to either confirm or deny our desire is self defeating? So what if some of us "new to hiking" don't have the 2,180 in us....the distance we do go will be a lot further than 99% of the lard *** couch potatoes in our society. Also, don't be so naive that some of us are not bringing a life time of outdoor skills with us to compensate for the lack of hiking experience.

That being said, I have completed one short shakedown and will do at least one longer one before April....but I promise you it won't be the arbitrary 100 miles.

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

So Jake, you found out you like hiking. Congrats! Mission accomplished. Have a wonderful longer journey.

Cheers....
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Quote Originally Posted by JaketheFake View Post
    Have you geniuses ever realized that some of us who are not fanatical about hiking want to try the AT because we understand that it will be a new challenge and spending the allotted time on a trail to either confirm or deny our desire is self defeating? So what if some of us "new to hiking" don't have the 2,180 in us....the distance we do go will be a lot further than 99% of the lard *** couch potatoes in our society. Also, don't be so naive that some of us are not bringing a life time of outdoor skills with us to compensate for the lack of hiking experience.

That being said, I have completed one short shakedown and will do at least one longer one before April....but I promise you it won't be the arbitrary 100 miles.
    Why so grumpy and defensive? The best way to get experience is to do it. I feel every hike less than 2000 miles is a shakedown hike ��

Quote Originally Posted by Mtsman View Post
    Should hikers have to like views to go on a hike? No.
    Should hikers have to have the right gear? No.
    Make the miles? No.
    Be in shape? No.
    Have the right footwear? No.
    Talk on forums? No.
    Eat the right food? No.
    Do they even have to like LD hiking? No.
    Wrong on at least one count. NOBO, SOBO, flip-flopper or section hiker, sooner or later, one way or another, you've got to make the miles to be a 2000 miler.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    Why so grumpy and defensive? The best way to get experience is to do it. I feel every hike less than 2000 miles is a shakedown hike ��
    Because I spent a night in a tent in 25 degree temps last weekend and it threw my entire body off kilter (including emotions)! Lol!!

Images

But seriously and without being grumpy....the chance of completing something with a 75% failure rate is, Well, intriguing. Not to mention it's a good excuse to be completely consumed by something for 6 months that involves being outdoors.

But seriously and without being grumpy....the chance of completing something with a 75% failure rate is, Well, intriguing. Not to mention it's a good excuse to be completely consumed by something for 6 months that involves being outdoors.
    the walkin' ain't the hard part. it's doin' it every day for months. bet you love pizza but do you wanna eat it every day for 5 months?

Images

The main point of this thread seems to have been lost along the way... It is not about the number of miles, it is about getting out there and testing the gear and yourself before tackling a long hike. Why? Because it makes sense to check your gear, figure out where you are with your fitness, and to see how it will all come together.

If you have never backpacked before, this is an excellent time to find out if you even like backpacking. Some people love the trail and love hiking, but hate backpacking.

If you have minimal backpacking experience, a shakedown hike allows you to gain a little more experience and work out any issues with your backpacking kit.

It is your hike and only you can decide how long your shakedown hike needs to be for you to feel you are "ready" for a long distance hike (or, as ready as you can be). The main topic throughout has been that shakedown hikes are helpful on many levels. The OP even stated that his recent shakedown hike (not so recent anymore!) was only 6 days, but he learned a lot during that time. Everyone is going to have a different idea of how many miles, how many days, what kind of gear.... HYOH. Nobody can prep you for the trail, except you. The more experience you have (miles and gear and fitness) will help you in achieving your goal, but there are never any guarantees. The more you prep, the better your odds.

Because I spent a night in a tent in 25 degree temps last weekend and it threw my entire body off kilter (including emotions)! Lol!!
    And there you have it. Same thing happened to me. Out tromping through Harriman State Park with a buncha youngsters. What was I thinking? Several boxes of Kleenex later, I'm almost back to normal.

Images

Hike your own shakedown hike! HYOSDH!

Images

Hike your own shakedown hike! HYOSDH!
    Bet ya can't say that 10 times fast!

I have done several week long hikes on the AT and some multi week hikes in other places. I honestly learn something new on every single trip. It started out with weight savings when I started with a heavy pack. I then graduated to techniques and skills for wearing my pack, getting water, setting up camp, and how to efficiently pack my back. I think I am at the stage now where I am refining things, including more creative meals, adding a couple light weight luxury items, etc. I think people are better off doing several shakedown hikes so their first day on the AT is not their first day using their gear. There is a reason why Mountain Crossings Outfitters is so busy in the spring. I would say the number one reason is lack of preparation.
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

Images

Quote Originally Posted by lone wolf View Post
    the walkin' ain't the hard part. It's doin' it every day for months. Bet you love pizza but do you wanna eat it every day for 5 months?
    ^^^this^^^
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    the walkin' ain't the hard part. it's doin' it every day for months. bet you love pizza but do you wanna eat it every day for 5 months?
    I do! That sounds awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by egilbe View Post
    why not incorporate the shakedown hike as part of the weight loss program? No one says you need to do 20 plus miles. Do 5, 6, or 7 miles days and enjoy the experience.
    Trying to,egiblke.

I'm up to 10 miles a session. I do the annual Walk for Hunger (20 miles), no problem, no soreness even though its once a year, but I don't do it with any gear. Maybe the next one I'll do it with gear. The first Walk for Hunger was, IIRC, 27 miles. I was in 7th grade and did that. Easier as a youngun' I feel, looking back!

I do agree with you.

**egilbe sorry typo!

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++