WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4

Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    I"ll experiment with one and let you know the results using 14 grams of denatured fuel(weight of 1 esbit) not the same amount of btu's.
    Thanks,can't wait to see your newest creation.

I"ll experiment with one and let you know the results using 14 grams of denatured fuel(weight of 1 esbit) not the same amount of btu's.
    Correct. 14g (weight) is right at 17.5ml (volume), which isn't going to boil 3 cups even with a very efficient setup.

Many times I've boiled 3 cups in the Open Country 3-cup pot (a classic that is no longer available) using one 14g Esbit, using the simple Tri-Wing stove/stand and and aluminum windscreen.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by cmoulder View Post
    Correct. 14g (weight) is right at 17.5ml (volume), which isn't going to boil 3 cups even with a very efficient setup.

Many times I've boiled 3 cups in the Open Country 3-cup pot (a classic that is no longer available) using one 14g Esbit, using the simple Tri-Wing stove/stand and and aluminum windscreen.
    Wow, I would have thought you had posted that info on BPL in the esbit threads. Please give a link to where it was posted....I missed it. 3 cups with 1 fourteen gram esbit has not been heard of on any of the forums.

Wow, I would have thought you had posted that info on BPL in the esbit threads. Please give a link to where it was posted....I missed it. 3 cups with 1 fourteen gram esbit has not been heard of on any of the forums.
    HERE ya go... 2015 on BPL. But I was using the legless BGET and my own cylinder type Ti pot support at that time... you may recall, at some point we also discussed my theory of increased 'dwell time' of the gases.

To me, the Holy Grail was always 4 cups. Closest I ever got was 206°F.

For great efficiency you might also look at the Flat Cat esbit burners with one of their awesome wind screens. I had been using a couple different trail designs setups with very good results. However, once I tried the Flat Cat esbit burners and the wind screen that works with them and the Kovea spider, I never went back. With the esbit burner I can bake using one 14 g tablet for almost an hour. If I want boiling water I generally can get 20 ounces, a frequent requirement, to boil and sustain the boil for a minute or two. I really appreciate how clean my pot bottom is using the epicurean burner. The sooty residue from most esbit burners was a major inconvenience. Since my 20 ounce water boils last for a minute or two after boiling, I expect you'll be able to get 3 cups to a boil with one tab. For reference, I use 37F water as a starting point for most testing I do.
    Renais
    Trail name Catnapper

4 cups on one tab still looks like an attractive, and perhaps attainable goal. Maybe someone at home socially isolating will come up with a suitable system.
    Renais
    Trail name Catnapper

Quote Originally Posted by renais View Post
    4 cups on one tab still looks like an attractive, and perhaps attainable goal. Maybe someone at home socially isolating will come up with a suitable system.
    Renais
    I gave it a pretty good shot back in the day. It would take some clever final push in efficiency to achieve an actual rolling boil.

Quote Originally Posted by renais View Post
    For great efficiency you might also look at the Flat Cat esbit burners with one of their awesome wind screens. I had been using a couple different trail designs setups with very good results. However, once I tried the Flat Cat esbit burners and the wind screen that works with them and the Kovea spider, I never went back. With the esbit burner I can bake using one 14 g tablet for almost an hour. If I want boiling water I generally can get 20 ounces, a frequent requirement, to boil and sustain the boil for a minute or two. I really appreciate how clean my pot bottom is using the epicurean burner. The sooty residue from most esbit burners was a major inconvenience. Since my 20 ounce water boils last for a minute or two after boiling, I expect you'll be able to get 3 cups to a boil with one tab. For reference, I use 37F water as a starting point for most testing I do.
    Renais
    Info here detailing system I used for 3-cup boil with 1x 14g tab. Did it many times.

Images

Duh!!!!.........how did I forget that, "oldtimerz" I suspect

Thanks cmoulder for going back in time to find that info.

Your set-up was fine tuned for sure!

Info here detailing system I used for 3-cup boil with 1x 14g tab. Did it many times.

Duh!!!!.........how did I forget that, "oldtimerz" I suspect

Thanks cmoulder for going back in time to find that info.

Your set-up was fine tuned for sure!
    No worries! It was kinda "burned" into my memory!

Journal Entries

Have used Esbit stove in past...bought an MSR Pocket Rocket 2 last week and plan on using it on my AT/BMT loop hike in September/October...

Images

This is the kit I use for boiling 3 cups with one 14 gram esbit. I've been using a WAPI, water pasturization indicator to bring 4 cups of water to a temperature of 170 degrees using 1 ounce alcohol.
    IMG_20200625_190354.jpgIMG_20200612_084656.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tuckahoe View Post
    . . . my opinion is that all the canister stoves are the same and you can not go wrong with any of them.
    If you are considering a Pocket Rocket, then take a moment to look into the BRS 3000T . . .
    I'll have to disagree strongly with this one. My BRS3000T is awesome, light, simple, cheap, and super wind sensitive and has some finicky flame issues when it's cold outside. My SnowPeak light max his a nicer broader flame, but after it get's soaked from being left out in the rain, it doesn't work worth beans until it's dried out. The pocket rocket seems to be the most solid of the simple stoves, but weighs more than the BRS. My Jetboil is super fast, reasonably reliable, somewhat wind resistant (when the pot is attached) but a heavier system than some. Probably my favorite cansiter stove is the pocket rocket deluxe with it's much more wind resistant burner and it pressure regulator (similar to the Jetboil Mo series burners) so it handles low canister pressures and low temperatures better, and it simmers better than the others if you ever want to do that.

That all being said, I also really like my homemade Fancy Feast and similar alcohol stoves. But, the are the most fiddly of all if you don't want the fiddle factor.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by nsherry61 View Post
    I'll have to disagree strongly with this one. My BRS3000T is awesome, light, simple, cheap, and super wind sensitive and has some finicky flame issues when it's cold outside. My SnowPeak light max his a nicer broader flame, but after it get's soaked from being left out in the rain, it doesn't work worth beans until it's dried out. The pocket rocket seems to be the most solid of the simple stoves, but weighs more than the BRS. My Jetboil is super fast, reasonably reliable, somewhat wind resistant (when the pot is attached) but a heavier system than some. Probably my favorite cansiter stove is the pocket rocket deluxe with it's much more wind resistant burner and it pressure regulator (similar to the Jetboil Mo series burners) so it handles low canister pressures and low temperatures better, and it simmers better than the others if you ever want to do that.

That all being said, I also really like my homemade Fancy Feast and similar alcohol stoves. But, the are the most fiddly of all if you don't want the fiddle factor.
    The BRS3000t has too many known/reported safety issues. A recent issue was reported over at backpackinglight.com. The sealing O rings was faulty (on a new stove)and caused the gas to shoot out from where the canister joins the stove. That leaking gas if ignited could cause numerous problems. It would scare the daylight outta ya causing the stove to be knocked over and in turn cause forest fires out west and elsewhere during fire bans. Faulty O ring can occur at any time. China has had some serious quality control issues regarding the BRS. I advise against it.

The Fancee Feest is a no fiddle stove, dump fuel in center, light, place pot on integrated stainless steel potsupport and you are good to go.

The BRS3000t has too many known/reported safety issues. . .
    The Fancee Feest is a no fiddle stove, dump fuel in center, light, place pot on integrated stainless steel potsupport and you are good to go.
    Good points on the BRS.

As for fiddling with the Fancy Feast, I debated with myself about calling it that because I love how simple and fiddle free it is relative to other alcohol stoves. But, relative to the simpler canister stoves, or Esbit for that matter, the Fancy Feast stove requires some sort of measuring and pouring or otherwise dispensing a liquid fuel into an open pool that can then spill. The base and pot stand are narrow, requiring care in placing the stove. It pretty much always requires a windscreen. And, if there is too much or two little fuel dispensed you have to either blow it out or let it burn out or add a little more fuel to a maybe hot stove. I don't want to disparage one of my favorite stoves that I love using, but relative to some other options, I'll still stick with my claim of it being a bit fiddly, and surely too fiddly for some users.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

If fuel cups are an issue you can always but gradient lines on your fuel container like you have on a quart of automotive oil.If you overfill a Starlyte or Kojin stove you will know it.A Fancee Feast holds 2.5 oz of fuel so if your eyesight is not perfect to pour one oz and you over pour a bit you should be able to get by without having overloaded it I would think.I carry my stove stuff,including the measuring cup all in the same stuff sack and have yet to lose anything.I did have a FF stove stick to the bottom of a pot due to creosote buildup and Boy was that exciting!Lesson learned.....Starlytes work with Caldera Cones too.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4
++ New Posts ++