Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 41 to 60 of 70
  1. #41
    Registered User Kookork's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-22-2011
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Age
    52
    Posts
    1,325
    Images
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by raptelan View Post
    Cook long enough in an aluminum pot, and you will find you have a hole through the bottom, and have eaten all the aluminum over time. This is a bigger issue if you cook acidic foods, but it is an inherently soft metal and small amounts scrape off easily when you stir with a spoon, etc. As for whether that is "safe" or not is a debatable topic - I wouldn't go so far as to call it myth as much as a topic there is lack of consensus on - but personally I would rather eat less metal with my food, whether or not it's toxic, so I wouldn't want to use it to cook food in or eat out of (that said, I wouldn't turn away free food if it was cooked or served in aluminum, haha!). But if you are only boiling water, I don't think this is a concern.

    Interesting facts to chew on - stainless steel which most consider safe contains nickel which is highly toxic, and most "titanium" cookware uses an alloy which contains some aluminum as well. Not voicing an opinion on safety of using these choices, just pointing out some facts. Things aren't always so black and white as people make out...

    Titanium is in nearly twice as heavy as Aluminum, but it is a lot stronger, so you can make up for the increased weight by making things thinner - the end result is that titanium products are usually lighter in the end, and are less bulky as well (which matters if you are nesting a lot of pieces, not so much otherwise). Titanium is much more difficult to scratch, dent etc. I would suspect burning food in an aluminum pot to be just as easy as burning food in a titanium pot - neither are going to compare to your thick steel pot (or even a thicker aluminum pot) in your kitchen at home, so some adjustment will be required either way. I blame burnt food on the cook not the cookware.

    I love cast iron, but won't be carrying that on the trail!

    Ultimately my preference usually falls with titanium assuming I can afford it, as it has better longevity and less bulk than other choices.
    Another advantage of Titanium is for people like me who use wood burning stoves( mine is Bushcooker LT I). After a few days burning woods a thick sooth can be found over the bottom of the pots but because of Titanium I can burn the sooth by burning a few milliliters of alcohol underneath my empty pot. This cannot be done in an Aluminium pot because it would damage the integrity of the pot.

  2. #42
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-04-2015
    Location
    Baltimore, Maryland
    Age
    39
    Posts
    683

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kookork View Post
    Another advantage of Titanium is for people like me who use wood burning stoves( mine is Bushcooker LT I). After a few days burning woods a thick sooth can be found over the bottom of the pots but because of Titanium I can burn the sooth by burning a few milliliters of alcohol underneath my empty pot. This cannot be done in an Aluminium pot because it would damage the integrity of the pot.
    Wow, great tip! I had no idea but as a wood burner myself I will definitely give this a try!

  3. #43
    Some days, it's not worth chewing through the restraints.
    Join Date
    12-13-2004
    Location
    Essex, Vermont
    Age
    65
    Posts
    2,348

    Default

    I used a Svea 123 for years - it's noisy, heavy, and persnickety (there are many mentions in my Dad's journals of cold dinners because the stove wouldn't work)

    DYI alcohol stoves are great, but I don't like the smell of the denatured alcohol, the liquid fuel is easy to spill or leak (but it is cheap & easy to find), and you can't turn it on & off. They're light, and fun to experiment with.

    A canister stove, like the pocket rocket (I have a primus), is super reliable, light, easy to fire up, turn off, and fire up again, the fuel won't spill, and it's cheap enough and easy enough to find. I've used them for years.

    YMMV! Try them out and take your pick.

  4. #44
    Clueless Weekender Another Kevin's Avatar
    Join Date
    04-10-2011
    Location
    Niskayuna, New York
    Age
    64
    Posts
    3,876
    Journal Entries
    10

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    What do you do for a handle?
    Leatherman Squirt.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

  5. #45
    Registered User
    Join Date
    12-08-2012
    Location
    Brunswick, Maine
    Age
    58
    Posts
    5,153

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    Leatherman Squirt.
    That was my pot gripper. PS4. I acquired a MSR pot gripper. Chop chop drill drill file file. The rest is history. A bit more weight, but oh so much more secure.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

  6. #46
    Registered User Kookork's Avatar
    Join Date
    10-22-2011
    Location
    Toronto, Ontario
    Age
    52
    Posts
    1,325
    Images
    12

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by raptelan View Post
    Wow, great tip! I had no idea but as a wood burner myself I will definitely give this a try!
    There is always something new to learn in White Blaze. Burning the sooth tip was taught to me by "Wise Old Owl".

  7. #47

    Default

    I love stove talk. I'm a bit of a stove collector.

    For alcohol, there are so many versions, but I personally feel the caldera system is pound for pound the best in efficiency, ease, stability, and cooking time. I have the Sidewinder version and enjoy it. The biggest reason I enjoy it is for the wide and secure base the cone provides. You don't have to worry about the pot wobbling and falling off in this model.

    I also have several canister stoves and my two favorite are the Soto OD-1R and the Snow Peak Litemax. Both are lightweight and perform trouble free. A requirement for me is the stove has to nest inside my pot with my entire cook kit. I use a MSR Titan Kettle and both nest inside the kettle along with a small canister, drinking cup/bowl, mini Bic, and pack towel.

    In the end, I find myself reaching for the Snow Peak setup the most. Why? It boils water wicked fast, and I have never had any problems with it. Plus, I don't have to deal with any potential alcohol spills. I personally feel the weight of canister versus alcohol fuel washes out after 4 days. They end up weighing the same.

  8. #48
    Registered User
    Join Date
    08-27-2015
    Location
    washington, pennsylvania
    Posts
    39

    Default

    I've had the Svea since 1976. It just never fails to perform as expected. Same Sigg cookset. Only change was to steel pots when they became available. You just have to be able to predict how much fuel you need and when resupply will be available.
    To each his own HYOH.

    Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

  9. #49

    Default

    I have made and used several alcohol stoves but my favorite is the Brasslite Turbo 1D. http://brasslite.com/products/brassl...packing-stove/ The previous version (like I have) is on sale. You can truly simmer with it and it is bulletproof. There are lighter alcohol stoves but for easy of use, versatility, performance and durability I like it the best.

  10. #50

    Default

    Pocket stoves are great and very useful on the trail

  11. #51

    Default

    In 2 weeks, I'll show you a kit that will boil 3 cups of water with 1 fourteen gram Esbit.

  12. #52
    Registered User
    Join Date
    01-23-2019
    Location
    Harpers ferry wv.
    Age
    56
    Posts
    605

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    In 2 weeks, I'll show you a kit that will boil 3 cups of water with 1 fourteen gram Esbit.
    . Finally something to look forward to. I have several stoves canister, alcohol, wood and esbit.

  13. #53
    Registered User
    Join Date
    03-16-2015
    Location
    Chaumont,Ny
    Posts
    1,000

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    In 2 weeks, I'll show you a kit that will boil 3 cups of water with 1 fourteen gram Esbit.
    2 weeks ! How sad :*(

  14. #54

    Default

    Odd bumping this thread after five years...

  15. #55

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    In 2 weeks, I'll show you a kit that will boil 3 cups of water with 1 fourteen gram Esbit.
    May I order one today?

  16. #56

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    May I order one today?
    Sorry, no pre ordering.
    Today I arrived home from a winters stay in central Texas. Now I have to recouperate from a long hectic drive back pulling my RV in foul weather. I'll be making some stainless steel windscreens first for the kits.

  17. #57

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    Sorry, no pre ordering.
    Today I arrived home from a winters stay in central Texas. Now I have to recouperate from a long hectic drive back pulling my RV in foul weather. I'll be making some stainless steel windscreens first for the kits.
    I would appreciate a "heads-up" when you are ready.I took my trusty Starlyte paird with a Tier Gear stainless steel windscreen/stand for an overnighter March 13th and about 3/4 oz of alcohol had my little 300ml aluminum
    pot that I originally got from Sam at Batchstove totally rocking in short order.
    I like the Starlyte for a number of reasons,one of which is the safety factor-no spills and you can snuff it out with a pot if necessary.

  18. #58

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    I would appreciate a "heads-up" when you are ready.I took my trusty Starlyte paird with a Tier Gear stainless steel windscreen/stand for an overnighter March 13th and about 3/4 oz of alcohol had my little 300ml aluminum
    pot that I originally got from Sam at Batchstove totally rocking in short order.
    I like the Starlyte for a number of reasons,one of which is the safety factor-no spills and you can snuff it out with a pot if necessary.
    I'll give a heads-up when I'm just about ready. I can't give any sneak peeks due to all the coppycat that goes on in our world. The pot that I'm using is special. I'm in touch with the manufacture to negotiate wholesale purchasing.

  19. #59

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by zelph View Post
    I'll give a heads-up when I'm just about ready. I can't give any sneak peeks due to all the coppycat that goes on in our world. The pot that I'm using is special. I'm in touch with the manufacture to negotiate wholesale purchasing.
    Could I safely assume that my trusty Starlyte will be compatible with the new system?

  20. #60

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Five Tango View Post
    Could I safely assume that my trusty Starlyte will be compatible with the new system?
    I"ll experiment with one and let you know the results using 14 grams of denatured fuel(weight of 1 esbit) not the same amount of btu's.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •