WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Favorite woods cup

Alrighty folks what's you're favorite way to have your brew? Sierra cup USGI army cup good old enamelware cup? Feel free to post a pic
    I have a couple favorites depending on my mood. My most used is an old USGI canteen cup also like the classic Sierra more for a bowl than a cup. One I made a willow kuksa I carved gets a fair amount of use. I'll get some pics later
    "Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."

By Doug Larson

I like insulated cups with lids so my hot drinks don't burn me and don't get cold too fast. I also like multi-use cups that can be used to either presoak food for cold hydration (or faster cooking) like the backpacker's cup below or I like cups I can also cook in like the minimalist below. I've always disliked sierra cups because they were too small to cook in, too wide to avoid spilling whatever liquid I might have in them and not insulated, so my food got cold or my lips got burned. . . and, they are stupid heavy.

GSI backpacker's cup.
    Light, insulated, water tight, and just the right size.

I also use my GSI Minimalist pot quite a lot if I want a good insulated cup that I can also cook in.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Images

And I am partial to my BIG Sierra Cup - it's (I believe) a 12 oz. version of the original, and is actually big enough to cook a small serving of pasta, rice, or what-have-you on a small-burner stove. Heavy? Yes, but the angle of the sides makes it useful for dipping water out of shallow small-flow springs.
    Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass - it's about learning how to dance in the rain!

Meh the Sierra cup may be a touch heavy but that doesn't bother me. I'd rather have bombproof that cup falls under that. As said in the original post it's my favorite bowl. I regularly use it at home to
    "Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."

By Doug Larson

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Nalgene bottle with a Reflectix jacket. It's a coffee maker (with a Melitta filter), Thermos and cup all in one. It's great for carrying a second cup of coffee for a morning break, and it can be a water bottle later in the day.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

My MSR titanium kettle (at .85 liters) is both my cooking pot and my tea pot and my tea cup and my water cup and in extreme conditions even my piss pot when it's -10F in a 60mph blizzard.

Journal Entries

I'm with Tipi Walter. Love my kettle. And all the memories attached.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

I do more cold weather hiking and to me it seems that any metal cup/mug cools down faster.Sometimes I like to hang around a camp fire and toast a bagel.When I found the Sea to Summit insulated mug on sale I got one.It will keep beverages warm for a while.050.jpgThis pic is from Shining Rock Wilderness back in June.
    Sleep on the ground, rise with the sun and hike with the wind....

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

16oz zip-loc brand round twist lock container with lid. Acts as cup, bowl, storage container, etc. Fine for hot foods and weighs almost nothing.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

MD-4952_20141219163353_10bc2350f14758cb.jpg

Technically a "pot", 650ml makes a better cup if you ask me. Packed in it's stuff sack, it contains my firestarting supplies, then nests inside my wood stove in it's own stuff sack, which nests inside my 1100ml pot with yet another stuff sack. The layered stuff sacks keep things from rattling around. All in all my cooking kit weighs just over a pound and fits within the space of the larger pot. The cup is a luxury item but I like it!

MD-10833_20150828151700_8342a4d0781a2aea.jpg

I carry the GSI Outdoors Infinity Stacking Cup, which I use for muesli in the morning and also for the occasional medicinal cup of coffee midday. It holds 14.2 ounces and weighs 1.8 ounces. Mine, an older version, has measuring marks on it, helpful for the precise-minded hiker.

gsi_cup.jpg

Here's a link to the current version:
    http://www.rei.com/product/895460/gs...y-stacking-cup

(edited because I linked to the wrong product in my initial post)
    Last edited by tiptoe; 09-09-2015 at 20:03.

I use a .2 oz Zaxby's styrofoam cup for coffee that resides in a protective plastic cup(the kind you get at the ball game for Cokes).Whole set up is 1.5 oz.Plastic cup makes a great holder for a bag of oatmeal or grits and can be used to scoop or dip with.

Right now, I'm using a Snow Peak 600 ml cup/pot. When drinking hot drinks out of it, I use a home made reflectix cozy. It also serves as my water dipper and rides on the outside of my pack. A recycled Poweraide 1 quart water bottle nests snuggly into the cup/pot and rides in my pack's side pocket.

My green and white AMC plastic mug remains my favorite for most trips.

That super heavy Stanley cup which comes with the Adventure Camp cook set. It's heavy. Shoot me.

I'm using the Sea to Summit Delta Mug

http://www.seatosummit.com/product/?...o2=0&o3=304-21

It's a bit larger and heavier than I'd like, but it packs inside my pot (no handle) and the nylon doesn't absorb flavors much so I can use it for both coffee and tea (tea from a plastic coffee cup is usually bad news).

I love my stainless Olicamp space saver tea mug. May not be light, but I love the thing. Bought it on a whim and now love it. It goes right on the fire or stove to brew a cup in a few minutes. No warping either.... -Nate
    Our Hiking, Camping, & Bushcraft Videos:
    http://youtube.com/teainthetreesbp
    A.T. Thru Hiker (The Appalachian Trail Song):
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BpY_jBFwnU8

++ New Posts ++