WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Registered User FooFooCuddlyPoops's Avatar
    Images

Default Hammock setup question.

Hey guys,

next may I plan to hike from va to ny as a section hike. I am preparing now (lil early but all well) because I have to update my gear.

so I have a hammock (cheap) that needs a lighter tarp cover and a bug net. The hammock itself is a walmart brand that has stood up pretty well the last two years of abuse.

my question: what is a relative cheap tarp system for a hammock that I can buy for not a lot of money? I plan to make a bug net for my hammock using my awesome diy skills but I am not sure if I can do a tarp.

Or or do you guys think maybe buying a new hammock system would be cheaper than buying a cover, making a bug net, and getting whoopi slings(not sure if I am going that way but I defiantly need something lighter than my system). Maybe even lighter since I am aiming to be as light as possible.

Any my good options for a light hammock system with everything already included that isn't over $200?

Dutchware hammock $35
    arrowhead equipment shangri la tarp $110
    whoopies and straps $25

Do you have an underquilt?

Look on Dutch's website for his Halfwit Hammock. Check You Tube for DYI Bugnets... Fronkey is the name of a hammocker that actually created the Fronkey Bug Net that is sold by many vendors. As far as a Tarp... you can do that with many choices from Walmart up to Hammock Gear's Cuben Fiber Winter Palace ($$$). You have to decide ease of set up, cost and weight. I personally like the Warbonnet Edge for $85 + Dutch bling to suspend it knot free. However, it is great for summer and slightly limited coverage without doors. If I wanted added coverage but not made of CF, I would go with the Warbonnet Superfly with Doors and Dutch Bling for under $150? The big question you must decide if this is simply a one trip purchase, or are you building towards more and longer hikes in multiple seasons. Like everyone say's, the best place for Hammock info is Hammockforums.net.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Section Hiker

+1 for all things Dutchware, and when you can, Warbonnet Blackbird hammock. Check out Bearfoot's Hiking Gear Flea Market on Facebook and post an ISO for a tarp, or look online for something used.

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Images

okay, so what I would be getting, It would be more towards long term. I am trying to find my ultimate set up instead of having a little bit of everything. Right now, the hammock I own is kinda hard to set up, and is heavy. I use a cheap tarp for cars that I bought at wally world. The hammock itself is not heavy but the tarp and straps are. I would like to downsize to a cheaper strap system, and buy a lighter tarp.

Do you guys prefer the normal a frame tarps, or the more angular styles?

And plus 1 on the bug net. I saw plans for a bug net that I am going to see about modifying and making for summer camping. I considered making a tarp but found it a little more daunting and more costly if i mess up the sewing.

Right now, I do not have a under quilt. I don't hike in the winter often, and will probably just use a foam mattress in the hammock.

Journal Entries

If you aren't predicting extremely bad weather, I've found my Sea to Summit poncho/tarp to be great. It triples as rain gear, pack cover, and asymmetrical tarp. I live in the south where the weather can go from balmy to raging in the blink of an eye. With practice, you can get to where you can keep the poncho on, attach one side, slip out whilst still holding it over your head, attach the other side and have a way to set up your hammock without getting it wet.

Works for me as a broke post college family girl. Hubby promised a "real" tarp for my birthday.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

+1 to reading up on hammockforums.net

I would replace the Equip hammock first... It is a decent cheap starter hammock, but by the time you replace everything, you're almost always better going with one of the hammock cottage vendors.

If you are trying to be as inexpensive as possible and don't mind a little extra weight, the Kelty Noah 12 or Chinook 12x9.6 are pretty good options. You can get a decent ridgeline setup and stakes from Dutch (www.dutchwaregear.com)

If money isn't that big of an obstacle, there are numerous vendors on hammock forums which can provide what you need. I recommend simplylightdesigns.com. Jared is fast and does great work. I have also had great experience with gear from the Mecks (hammeck.com) and Paul Gibson (arrowhead-equipment.com)

Images

I looked into getting a hammock set up from dutch. I like his set ups and the hammocks seem legit. Is he the cheapest for quality on a set up?

In order to do my may trip, I need shoes, and hammock as part of the main three. I have like four backpacking with the latest being a roxx flat iron. Lucy me, it was left in a boat and dad brought it home for my backpacking needs. Not bad for a free backpack!

I think for the price, SLD is the best quality, but I am sure that others will disagree. I don't really have anything from Dutch, although his stuff is great. If you want ultralight suspension and tarp ridgeline hardware, get it from Dutch. Anything else, I would get from SLD, Hammeck and/or Arrowhead. Of course there are many other vendors I have no experience with.

Images

My head feels like it is about to explode. Continue loops, Dutch Hooks, straps vs whoopie slings. Youtube is my best friend at this moment.

I still have to look up the hammock website. Maybe I will do it tonight before I ask any more questions regarding double, 1.9, and length...lol

youtube has showed me that putting a hammock together using separate pieces is not horribly hard!

If your head is spinning, it is a really good idea to start by watch shug's YouTube vids. Google shug and hammock and you will find the channel.

Quote Originally Posted by FooFooCuddlyPoops View Post
    My head feels like it is about to explode. Continue loops, Dutch Hooks, straps vs whoopie slings. Youtube is my best friend at this moment.

I still have to look up the hammock website. Maybe I will do it tonight before I ask any more questions regarding double, 1.9, and length...lol

youtube has showed me that putting a hammock together using separate pieces is not horribly hard!

Catcut Tarps (angular as you called them) seem to set up easier and hang with less "fiddle factor". To help keep your head from exploding, download the electronic version of "The Ultimate Hang" by Hanson.

+1 on Shug Videos

Continuous Loops, straps vs. whoopies, and other insecurities are the reason I went with the Warbonnet BB and simply used his video's and a local park (no suitable trees in the yard) to get me comfortable with Hanging. Now that I have been hanging for a couple of years... I haven't really found a reason for me to change and purchase anything new. I like the bugnet attached and prefer more of a "tent" feel because of the number of years I spent tent camping. However, I have watched the few sales of the Blackbird that occassionally appear, and have never seen a problem getting something back out of your investment, should you choose to go a differrent route down the road.

Here is a link to my set up specifically: https://youtu.be/B__32Q0DEnY Nothing like Shugs vids but I am just practicing around for my own benefits.

Relax and have fun with it. Researching is part of the fun from pre hike planning to post hike reflections.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

Maybe the answer on the tarp cut was a little quick. If you are looking for mainly a tarp to cover and use in conjuction with a Hammock; then catcut is the way to go. However, if you are looking for a tarp to create multiple set up's and meet survival bushcraft needs, then square or diamond may be the way to go. Luke on the You Tube Channel "The Outdoor Gear Review" has been doing some quick vids on Tarps and Tarp set ups that may help if looking at something in addition to hammock coverage.
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

Images

Thanks guys! I did sign up for the hammock forum and start a list. I may use 2inch tree straps with whoopi slings. I found a video on making slings and it doesn't look too hard.

I am am still trying to consider what hammock, tarp, etc.

I started with http://hennessyhammock.com/ Easy to use and easy to setup. Most of their options are inexpensive but you are more of a DIY'r so you could make things cheaper.

I Graduated to http://www.dream-hammock.com/ a little more thought involved, you would still have to get a tarp, but they can get dirt cheap if you talk to Randy.

+1 on Dutchware. http://www.dutchwaregear.com/ That guy has really helped/changed the hammock DIY'ers with his inventions.
    +1 on Shug too. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d7NZVqpBUV0 I really cant get enough of that guy!

There is a great deal to learn about a good hammock setup. Good luck and I hope you find what you are looking for!

Journal Entries

I started in an ENO doublenest and I'm still using it two years later. It suits me but I've modified this and that since leaving tents behind for good.

Insulation and tarps are always an exercise of the brain.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you believe you have the DIY sewing skills to make a bugnet and have access to a sewing machine...

Make your own hammock: purchase the raw material ($15-30) and sew a gathered end hammock. Either triple stitch channels into the ends or create a non load bearing channel and larkshead the gathered ball of fabric.

DIY: 1" polypropylene or polyester straps 6-8' long with loops sewn into the ends, 7/64" Amsteel Whoopies (or even Dynaglide cord if you don't weigh too much... >180lbs definitely go with 7/64", if less then you could Dynaglide at your own risk). Ridgeline for hammock is the easiest DIY and can be Dynaglide. I weigh 150lbs which lets me use Dynaglide UCRs instead of 7/64"whoopies which is 1/4 the weight and the absolutely lightest suspension you could have... your suspension needs to be safe for you at your own risk.

The bugnet is the hardest to DIY of all the things I listed and is only easier than the Tarp... however a rectangle/square tarp is easy to DIY. I MYOGd a Cat Cut Hex tarp and Love it but it was the most time consuming of everything besides the TQ or UQ which are just plain mileage when it comes to sewing. The cost savings of the bugnet and tarp wouldn't be much if you sew them yourself, but the hammock/suspension would be.

If you DIY then get the Gutterman polyester thread from DUTCH along with the Amsteel or Dynaglide for the whoopies.
    Also go buy a nice needle for the sewing machine made for silk weight fabrics because of the lightweight fabrics you'll be sewing. I use a denim/jeans needle for tree straps because the thick webbing straps will break the fine silk weight needle.

Images

Dutchwaregear.com Dutch has premade hammocks (half-wit $90), and is now carrying the wilderness logics tadpole tarp ($95) and you can put together a hammock suspension system for less than 5 oz (although you may have to spend some bucks)
    Give Me Mountains & I Am Happy!

Quote Originally Posted by Country Roads View Post
    Dutchwaregear.com Dutch has premade hammocks (half-wit $90), and is now carrying the wilderness logics tadpole tarp ($95) and you can put together a hammock suspension system for less than 5 oz (although you may have to spend some bucks)
    I just asked Dutch a couple days ago if he would make the Half-Wit out of any of his unique fabrics. Answer is yes. He's got some fantastic fabrics, such as the new soft Hexon 1.6 rated at over 300 lbs.

Default Hammock setup question.

I just asked Dutch a couple days ago if he would make the Half-Wit out of any of his unique fabrics. Answer is yes. He's got some fantastic fabrics, such as the new soft Hexon 1.6 rated at over 300 lbs.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++