WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    "Switchback - NOBO '06" MyFeetHurt's Avatar

Default Hitching with a dog...

I'm trying everything possible to get someone to look after my dog when I attempt my thru strating in March. But as of yet, I haven't been able to find someone. Assuming I get stuck bringing the dog, does anyone have any first hand experience on how this might affect my hitching opportunities. I know people have hiked with dogs many times, so I assume the hitches are still fairly easy to come by. Thanks for any help....

Donating Member/AT Class of 2003 - The WET year
    Images

My guess is that your rides would be limited to open bed pick-ups driven by dog lovers.

'Slogger
    The more I learn ...the more I realize I don't know.

Have you trained your dog for hiking? If not don't take him for both yours and his sake. I have a co-worker who lives on a farm in douglasville who also does animal rescue. I would guess with the proper donation he would be happy to keep your dog while you are away. The dog would have plenty of company as he usually has 5 - 7 dogs at a time and they get to run free as his dog area is completely fenced with a barn for the dogs comfort. If you are unable to find an alternate give me a pm and I can get you in touch with him.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Footslogger
    My guess is that your rides would be limited to open bed pick-ups driven by dog lovers.

'Slogger
    which shouldnt be too much of a problem in the south, but in the north you will find much more difficulty.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FatMan
    Have you trained your dog for hiking? If not don't take him for both yours and his sake. I have a co-worker who lives on a farm in douglasville who also does animal rescue. I would guess with the proper donation he would be happy to keep your dog while you are away. The dog would have plenty of company as he usually has 5 - 7 dogs at a time and they get to run free as his dog area is completely fenced with a barn for the dogs comfort. If you are unable to find an alternate give me a pm and I can get you in touch with him.
    shoot, for a proper donation i too would keep your dog. seriously. pm me if interesed. we already have a coonhound. what kinda dog do you have?
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Images

i've done tons of hitching with my dog. it's actually been pretty easy for me.

i would make sure your dog's ready for the hiking though, it can be pretty rough on 'em.

thanks everyone, like i said, i am really trying to get someone to watch him for me. i've taken him on tons of hikes, but i understand how much harder i'll make it on myself to finish if i bring him along. and i don't really think he'd enjoy 6 months straight the way he enjoys his weekend hikes. just wanted to be sure that if i'm stuck, and don't have any options, that he wouldn't completely ruin my town visits. again, thanks for the suggestions, and i appreciate your willingness to help get me in touch with your friend FatMan. I'm still working on my dad pretty hard though. I'd like to keep the dog with a familiar person. oh, and he's a lab mix I found on the side of the road about 4 years ago. The best dog there is. Morrison.

Images

just get rid of the dog,dogs are a pain anyway neo

getting rid of the dog is NOT an option....

For the proper donation I know some guys who could 'get rid of him' for ya!

Michael + Laura Ryan justusryans's Avatar
    Images

Tastes like chicken!!
    "We wanderers, ever seeking the lonelier way, begin no day where we have ended another day; and no sunrise finds us where sunset left us."

Kahlil Gibran

Quote Originally Posted by saimyoji
    For the proper donation I know some guys who could 'get rid of him' for ya!
    For the proper donations I can find someone to get rid of you.
    The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool. - William Shakespeare

We thru hiked with a dog. My first suggestion is to not take the dog. After hiking with out a dog it is much more enjiyable. As far as the hitching. We had no problem. We even had a very well dressed lady pick us up in the rain in her brand new Lexus.
    Profile '00
    www.hikerhostel.com

MyFeetHurt-"I'm trying everything possible to get someone to look after my dog when I attempt my thru strating in March. But as of yet, I haven't been able to find someone. Assuming I get stuck bringing the dog......."
    Just replace "dog" in the above quote with "85 year old grandmother". If you couldn't get someone to look after a loved one, would the responsible thing to do be; 1) don't hike until the problem is resolved; or 2) "get stuck bringing [fill in the blank]".

While I realize that a thru hike is a very egotistical thing to do (just ask any non-hiking spouse), it doesn't mean the way to handle any pre-hike problem is to select the optional (hike) while ignoring the required. I'm not trying to be cruel by quashing your plans, just pointing out the facts of life.

Quote Originally Posted by The Old Fhart
    Just replace "dog" in the above quote with "85 year old grandmother". If you couldn't get someone to look after a loved one, would the responsible thing to do be; 1) don't hike until the problem is resolved; or 2) "get stuck bringing [fill in the blank]".

While I realize that a thru hike is a very egotistical thing to do (just ask any non-hiking spouse), it doesn't mean the way to handle any pre-hike problem is to select the optional (hike) while ignoring the required. I'm not trying to be cruel by quashing your plans, just pointing out the facts of life.

Your not squashing his plans. he has a few of months to find a solution. I'm dealing with the same problem for my 06 SOBO hike.

I hope this fella finds a comforting solution. Wether it's bring him along or find a place for his dog to stay.

If I didn't already rescue a dog and live in an apartment, I would gladly offer this guy a 6 month sleep over for his dog with 2-3 mile walks every day not including quick outings, morning walks and trips to the the local pet store.

Best wishes for you and your freind!
    The fool doth think he is wise, but the wise man knows himself to be a fool. - William Shakespeare

Hey I live in JOISEY, for the right price I can find someone to get rid of you and the dog!! [only kidding] ha ha .......

Quote Originally Posted by The Desperado
    Hey I live in JOISEY, for the right price I can find someone to get rid of you and the dog!! [only kidding] ha ha .......
    Terrorist!

Images

don't go to Bryson City with your pooch. that whole town ain't nothin' but dog nazis. i never had a problem other than that. when you go to town for some comforts it's a little harder to find a place to lay your head, but an extra 20 at the desk gets your dog a long way. hike with a good lookin' lady. that makes hitching soooooo much easier.

The only good thing about Bryson City is they sell beer. It ain't no trail town.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++