WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Need your advice?

Back in the 70's I hiked part of the AT, I was 19. I carried a army shelter half and a GI sleeping bag and c-rations on that hike.......I have been dreaming of finishing that hike for years......In 2009 I was in a airplane crash that left me paralyzed from the waist down. I have cadaver vertebra in my back with steel rods & screws. Slowly I have been recovering, regaining feeling and strenght back in my legs.
    I was in hospital for 5 months. Then 5 more months to learn how to walk again. My dream is what has pushed me to regain all that I can. I currently have 80% feeling back in my left leg and 100% back in right leg. I favor my left leg when walking. When I carry a day pack walking local woods a cane helps in unevern terrain. My back bothers me sleeping in a tent, but I'm painfree in our fish net hammock.
    I'm currently walking 1-2 miles a day working towards 5-10 miles by Jan. I am also working with weights for upper body..........I want to do at least a section hike starting at Springer to Fontana dam in April. Then maybe Fontana onward ??? I realize I will probably be slower than everyone else. I am determined to try, my doctor says as long as my back pack doesn't exceed 50 pounds I should be okay. I'm 61 now. I'm currently retired , so I have time on my hands now. I tell my wife the AT completion is the last item on my bucket list...

My wife asked me to post this for you folks with experience to help her decide yea or nay? Please don't sugar coat this for my benefit??? She's a smart woman and knows bull sh$t when she see it.

This is my first post, might be my last, either way I have enjoyed this Forum and wish good luck to all my fellow hikers!!!

Ironbutt

50 lbs. on your back -- nobody, but nobody does that any more unless their name is Tipi Walter. Try for half that, or less.

Do what you're doing... learn from experience, tackle the easy stuff first. Shenandoah National Park has some of the mellowest trail on the whole AT, and is extremely accessible. And quite scenic as well.

I think that you should try a small section hike to see how the mountains affect your walking. Sleeping in a hammock should not be a problem?

Good luck.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

So what's the problem? (or question)

Here's the only limitations I see in your story:
    1. Uses a cane
    Well, even people at 100% use treking poles. Move from one cane to a pair of poles and you should find things easier going.

2. 50 pounds Max
    With modern gear, you should never need to come close to 50 pounds. Depending upon what all you carry, your pack should be able to stay around 20 to 40 pounds (depending upon how much food you bring) and much lighter if you use Ultra Light methods. About your only limitation there is that ultra lighters that have packs as low as around 10 pounds use things like a tarp as shelter sleeping on the ground. The hammock will keep you from being able to drop quite that low... but there isn't any reason you should ever need to go close to 50 pounds.

3. Back problems Sleeping in a Tent but can use a hammock.
    The only place a hammock might be a limiting factor is in Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Park rules require that you stay in the shelter (hammocks allowed in certain situations, my might be able to get a medical exception).

4. Working towards 5-10 miles per day.
    At 5 mpd, you won't hike the whole AT in one season. But that doesn't matter if you are going to be a section hiker.
    Last edited by HooKooDooKu; 09-10-2015 at 11:28.

Images

Wow, good for you on the recovery. Some random thoughts:

Get a pair of "trekking poles" and start using them now on your daily walks. Just the cheap ones at Wal Mart are fine for now. Get used to using two poles for balance, and figure out how to use the wrist straps properly so your weight is on the straps and you don't have to grip so tightly. Poles are very useful for many hikers, especially those of us past a certain age....

No problem keeping your pack below 50 pounds -- really, a fully loaded pack for summer hiking on the AT should weigh 30 or less. That's without spending a ton of money, too. Though you'll want to be prepared to spend on quality stuff to start with.

I have met and hiked with many older hikers, some of them twenty years older than you. Yeah, they are slow, but they get there eventually. Spent the night at a shelter in Vermont last summer with two 72 year old hikers, one of whom was doing a long section with a bag pack. They were not fast, but they were fine.

Springer to Fontana is a good section. It's not easy, there are some tough climbs even from the start, but it's a beautiful hike in late April or early May. (Early April will be very crowded and you'll need to be prepared for cold weather.) If you can average ten miles per day, it's about a three week hike, but don't get caught up in the mileage race -- get there when you get there. There are plenty of places to get off the trail and resupply every three or four days, even if you're only making 8 miles per day.

Hammock: there are some great choices in hiking hammocks, complete with bug netting and a rain fly/tarp. I've been using the same Hennessy Hammock for ten years, but there are plenty of others.

Good luck with your recovery and getting back on the trail.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

"Trekking poles" for sure. I am 61 as well, as one of the biggest improvements for me in my hiking, has been to actually use the poles to help climb and take pressure off my legs on downhills. Using your upper body to help your legs out, will make the hike much more enjoyable. Hiking poles are not just for balance.

I'm just blown away you have been able to recover from such an accident. Good luck and Godspeed with your endeavor.

Images

Good luck on your recovery. I would shoot for a 10lb base which may require a bit of practice to make right. I would also do shorter resupplies and I would expect you could keep pack weight below 20lbs. Your water carry may be a bit more depending on how short your daily mileage may be.

Maybe consider a supported hike. It should be carrying less wt. and have someone around to help you.

Wow, that is some story Iron butt, take care of that spine, don't want any compression issues. You may wanna spend the dough to go uber lightweight, not cheap, but can be done. Good luck.

Reading the post so far. I am making a plan to do a beginner hike in the Shenandoah Park like Rafe suggested maybe in December for a week to work out the kinks. I will invest in light equipment and definately some hiking poles. Shooting for a weight of no more than 25-30 lbs backpack weight. I like the idea of starting after the crowd so maybe April 15th at Springer would be a good start?

My grandson e-mailed me that he would hike the shenandoah part of the AT with me when he is on Christmas vacation and wants to join me where ever I am on the AT when he gets his summer break from school. Thanks to everyone for your advice...

One thing I failed to mention in my first post is the doctors told my family that I would never walk again. I would be in a wheel chair the rest of my life...

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    Maybe consider a supported hike. It should be carrying less wt. and have someone around to help you.

Check out hammockforums.net for advice on anything to do with hammocks and associated gear. There is a wealth of info there for everything from hammocks to tarps to insulation!

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    So what's the problem? (or question)

3. Back problems Sleeping in a Tent but can use a hammock.
    The only place a hammock might be a limiting factor is in Great Smoky Mountains National Park. Park rules require that you stay in the shelter (hammocks allowed in certain situations, my might be able to get a medical exception).
    Isn't the rule that you stay in a shelter "when available"? Start off in the bubble and plan to arrive at shelters late - problem solved.

Given your situation I'd suggest spending a few hundred dollars and buying the lightest gear you can find...as others have said, spending a bit of money you should have no problem cutting your pack weight to 25 pounds or less. That said, I think you have the right approach...start at Springer, set a goal for Fontana Dam and then see what happens from there. In 2002 I spent 4 months hiking and only made it 850 miles to Waynesboro. So maybe you're a little bit slower than everyone else...so what? You'll probably have a blast. And you'll know when its time to get off the trail -- when you're not having much fun anymore.

Images

This post might not prove to be helpful, but I did just want to congratulate you on your recovery! The human body is absolutely amazing in what it can do!

You strike me as someone who has amazing willpower - and will work hard to accomplish their goals. That will serve you well on the trail. However, there will be setbacks - Everyone has them. The only thing I can think to add to the previous advice is this - Be willing to be flexible with your plans. As I am sure you already know, some days are better than others. Go with it. If you need to do a shorter day, then do it. Allow yourself that freedom. Your hike will be so much more enjoyable for setting that as a ground rule. Hey, the worst thing about it is you get more time to just enjoy time in nature! Rest when you need to. Hike when it feels right. Enjoy your hike! Make memories and know that no matter how far you get, you have already done so much more than was ever predicted.

Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat View Post
    You strike me as someone who has amazing willpower - and will work hard to accomplish their goals.
    I agree.

Take the sound advice already given and go hike. Hike as far and as fast as you decide you are able/willing. Maybe that's the entire trail, maybe its just the first section, but either way you are clearly victorious.

I would be interested in following a journal of your hike if you decide to share one, let us know!

Best of luck to you.

Clearly you have the determination, which is the biggest challenge for most of us. If you can get through Georgia, you can make it all the way. I hope you do decide to go, and I would be happy to join you for a day or two (as I am not retired quite yet) if you want some company. Same age and also a hammocker, and not worried about miles per day. I'm within a couple hours of any AT access point in Georgia. Even if you don't want the company (you will probably have PLENTY anyway), give me a holler if you need any logistical support.

You should check out the "modern" sleeping pads for using shelters in the smokies. The "Big Agnes" line has light weight sleeping pads that are over 4" thick. Also "modern" air mattresses are much nicer than the pool floats that were available in the 60's and 70's. Check REI. Many of these are as comfortable as a bed.

I started the AT in 1974 and completed it in 2004; 40 year plan. It took many trips (I live on the West Coast), but I did it once bite at a time. You can do this too. Pack weight doesn't need to be more than 25 lbs with today's gear. My advice would be to get in shape before you start your hike, don't count on it happening while you hike. We older folks just don't heal fast enough for that to work as well as it does for youthful hikers.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++