WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Thread: Pacer Poles?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Default Pacer Poles?

Do you think the pacer poles are worth it, or should I go with something like the Leki's or Black Diamonds?

FWIW, I think it depends on what you are using the poles for. I have not used Pacer Poles, though I have seen a pair or two along the way. People who own them say they are great, but people who own Leki's and BDs say the same of their choice in poles too. I use a set of aluminum flick lock BD poles (no shock absorbers) and have used them pretty hard for 6 seasons now without problems. I like them a lot. I do a lot of bushwhacking and use my poles as a way to move through laurel and other brush, the bent handles of the Pacers looks good for trail use, but holding the poles straight up and down for bushwhacking does not look comfortable.

Pacer Poles are only sold out of the UK the last I looked into them. I am sure their return policy is fine for warranty repairs or exchange, but costs and/or hassles of shipping off shore is not something I find attractive, but thats me. I generally prefer to handle the products of this type before I buy it, there is a considerable difference in fit and feel in trekking poles.

There are other companies that make trekking poles with angled grips, although maybe not quite as angled as the pacer poles, which might be a good thing and a good compromise.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Really depends on if you want them bad enough for the extra time and trouble getting them.

I love my BD Trails and use them even though I have access to more expensive and lighter poles.

If you have access to some to borrow for a bit that might help you answer this question.

I have Pacer Poles and they're more than just angled grips. I love mine. What I do wish is that they used flick locks instead of twist locks.

I was a BD Alpine Carbon Cork fan and still own a set of them. I've bought Pacer Poles this past spring and probably have a few hundred miles on them now. As RJ said, they are more than just angled grips.
    They take some getting used to. Thing I like most about them is that you can use them to push yourself uphill. My only complaint with them is that cork grips are not an option they offer.

I've been using PP exclusively since 2008. Like most things, you will get used to the unique grips. Plus, when one pole broke, they replaced it quickly, at no cost to me. Very nice to work with.
    "How can something this hard be so much fun".

Images

I own a pair of pacerpoles. the owner of the company gave them to me as a gift and I have been using them since( about 3 years now). I had leki poles before. On long run , they make a considerable difference in performance and comfort and your posture. Like someone else said before I wish they make speed lock version of them.

Since I use my poles as tent poles of my lightheart gear Solong tent , I plan to switch to a speed lock pole for my PCT thru hike. Their angled handle( and twist lock) does not make a good tent pole. But if I was not using them as my tent poles ,I would have been using them for as long as I could.

++ New Posts ++