WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: NOBO vs SOBO

Default NOBO vs SOBO

I swore I was going to go SOBO since the guys that inspired me were SOBO, plus less people, more of a chance of lodging etc. but recently ive become saddend thinking i wont get a chance to do the dramatic finish up mount katadin....whats the thoughts? is the MT Springer finish a let down?
    limbo
    professional enthusiast:banana

What you see on the last day of your journey isn't as important as what you discover on the 180 or so days that preceded it.

I've never done a full Southbound hike, so it's not really for me to say, but I'm willing to bet the folks that have come all the way thru from Maine feel pretty damned good when they summit Springer.

Go whichever way your heart takes you, and worry about your "last day" later on. Right now, I'd spend more time getting excited about your first one.

I'm reading a book "Walking the Appalachian Trail" (forgot the author.. eek) and in the first half of the book I've read twice where folks were dissapointed that the hike was over and didn't want to climb Katahdin.

just $.02 of what i read.
    ws

Go SOBO, it's way better... Springer isn't a let down at all, its beautiful from the top, check out the pics on my website
    Maine2Georgia.com
    A Southbound Adventure

Journal Entries
    Images

Go SOBO, it's way better.

Well said, UCONN Mike. Glad you guys saw the light!

Quote Originally Posted by UCONNMike
    Go SOBO, it's way better... Springer isn't a let down at all, its beautiful from the top, check out the pics on my website
    Plus since Springer is so much lower than the Big K on the map. You have a lot less climbing.

Registered User hammock engineer's Avatar

Go SOBO, that is the way I am planning on going. You don't have to worry about getting done by a certain date, or deal with the masses of hikers. Plus I like the fall and think that would be a great time to see the Smokeys.

i am planning a sobo in 07, my two big deciding factors were

#1 not such a time constraint [ baxter park closes oct 15] weather etc.

#2 a more solitary hike

i am 49 yrs. old and i would be pi!!ed if i got to katahdin to late. yikes!!

a great book about going sobo is
    the wild birds' song by jim coplen

great book very honest. hope this helps

SOBO is a much better way to thru-hike if you must

Images

Default Casting flies through Maine

One of my reasons for going SOBO this year is that although it is big time Black Fly season in June as it too is in my NH home, it is also prime Brookie season. I have a nice 4 piece Hardy backpack fly rod, a handful of flies, and my Bakepacker for cooking trout. I'm gonna fly cast my way though Maine. With a proper license of course. I'll ship my fly gear home in Andover and be on my merry way south.
    Everyone has a photographic memory. Not everyone has film.

You can either get busy livin' or get busy die'n.....

Sooooo....I see someone is recycling threads again? But actually I'm glad this one is coming back.

I've fought with myslelf over this one for about the last year or so and ultimately for the same reason. Katahdin just seems like the type of place to put the icing on one hell of a cake. One last serious challenge after 2,170 miles of challenge.

As of now I'm "planning" on a possible SOBO in '09 for a multitude of reasons. But mostly because I, probably like most here, absolutely love autumn. When I die I hope that in Heaven it is October 27 everyday....maybe 58 and sunny with a light cool breeze and the nights are in the mid 40's crisp and clear with every star overhead shining down upon me...ahhhhhhh....Oh sorry I was day dreaming, anyway. I think for me it would be spectacular to follow autumn south and have it last as long as possible.

I would like to hear from some SOBO about that...my guess is that most didn't even think about Katahdin when thet saw that bronze plaque set upon the stone.

Anyway....I think that if you make it to either end and start at either beginning, piece by piece or one long walk, you should consider yourself a blessed individual.

AT 4000+, LT, FHT, ALT Blissful's Avatar
    Journal Entries
    Images

Where's Marta? She could tell you what it was like to finish at Springer. No matter, Springer or Katahdin, it's still great. The AT is great. A real challenge but great.

Hiking Blog
    AT NOBO and SOBO, LT, FHT, ALT
    Shenandoah NP Ridgerunner, Author, Speaker

SOBO is a quieter, lonelier trek. You need to know your stuff from the get-go. I'm not one to comment on the quality of the "ending" -- AT "endings" don't get any more subdued than mine.

NOBO VS. SOBO will this be on the U.F.C. fight card on pay per veiw im watching this week end. should be for 50 bucks...

My schedule is making the decision for me ... graduating in May and I'm no speedster so it's SOBO I go!

But I'm worried about breaking in on the toughest state. And I like having other hikers to hang out with, even if it's crowded.

Go SOBO girl. Katahdin will be there if you want to climb her again. In the meantime the trail that unfurls to your south will likely sate your thirsts, and Katahdin is excellent fuel for your tank at the start of your hike!!

SOBO8

Quote Originally Posted by quasarr View Post
    My schedule is making the decision for me ... graduating in May and I'm no speedster so it's SOBO I go!

But I'm worried about breaking in on the toughest state. And I like having other hikers to hang out with, even if it's crowded.
    Listen to Warraghiyagy, he knows all about SOBOing.....He's a career SOBO starter

Quote Originally Posted by Blissful View Post
    Where's Marta? She could tell you what it was like to finish at Springer. No matter, Springer or Katahdin, it's still great. The AT is great. A real challenge but great.
    i can tell you what it's like to finish at springer

You can either get busy livin' or get busy die'n.....

I don't think this needs turn into a "price of a thru hike" type thread.....at least I hope not. Boy, that was at least a 2 bags of chips event!!

Rather, a sharing of personal experience for those looking for some insight. To better make a very important decision regarding their desired future......burning desire for some of us

Heah, SOBO sucks, the Mtn's not as high. Your view at the end is an encapsulated version of your entire hike....no view, ****ty hike. This also applies to NOBO finishes on bad weather days.
    ???

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++