WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    I agree with the Bemis Range observation. But as to the Mahoosucs observation, I disagree. I agree they are on a lot of lists. However, that does not always translate into accomplishing anything. Many people work their way up to such a section only to not realize that goal. Those of us that have hiked the Whites often forget that there are a slug of weekend warriors that would love to hike lots of places but are physically unable. Therefore they do easier stuff like hike in Acadia. No slam on Acadia. I hike there often. No slam on the less fit. At least they hike somewhere.
    Yeah, I don't know BirdBrain. I may just be oblivious at this point. Having hiked well over 1000 miles on the AT in Maine, it is hard for me to ascertain which sections would be more difficult for certain hiking abilities. I've led several backpacking trips through the Mahoosucs, 13 year old girls, never had any issues. As for the 'Weekend Warrior.' My position has changed on them over the years. There are of course, those WW that are physically not prepared for a Mahoosuc traverse, but that crowd would struggle up Mt. Willard as well. However NE weekend warriors are a little different than in many other places. Especially the peakbaggers who also enjoy backpacking, and their numbers are growing, and they are fit as f8ck! They just choose or cannot LDH. I think a lot of thu-hiker/LDH not accustomed to the Whites and Western Maine MTs. would be surprised at how many of us Weekend Warriors, 'Massholes,' and section hikers get a kick out of the comments we hear from them after they come down from Kinsman Ridge. Often they are quite shocked by the terrain. I usually skip the part about how the AT is the easiest route through the Whites.
    As for the numbers, like I said, maybe I just don't know anymore. I guess I've hiked thru the Mahoosucs when there are tons of people several times, but also I've had some isolation there as well. hmmm. I should take better notes...
    Go confidently in the direction of your dreams! Live the life you've imagined. As you simplify your life, the laws of the universe will be simpler.
    Henry David Thoreau

Sounds to me like you have taken note and have a better sample size than me.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Images

Quote Originally Posted by peakbagger View Post
    I remember discussing the use of the trail in the areas around Kincora with Bob many years ago. He was of the opinion that the AT down in that area got few weekenders or off season folks. Pretty much once the bubble went through it was pretty quiet for the rest of the year. We stayed at Kincora during the fall for a couple of days and had the place to ourselves until the weekend.
    Agree - I saw a total of 3 other hikers in 3 days going from Watauga Lake to Damascus last fall. Of course, 40 miles of mostly viewless ridgeline trail with few water sources isn't very appealing. I don't imagine many people other than long-distance hikers and section hikers trying to finish the entire AT do this section.

In general, the section from US 19E north to Damascus isn't very heavily travelled. People tend to flock to Roan Highlands to the south or Grayson Highlands to the north. By comparison, the route in between these places is pretty boring. One notable exception: the short hike from Kincora down to Laurel Falls was pretty darn cool. I might take my wife and kids back there for a day hike sometime.

I hiked a very remote blue blaze off the AT Sunday of Labor Day weekend at Baxter State Park. The Northern Peaks Trail heading north from Baxter (via the Hamline Ridge Trail). On what arguably is the most popular day to climb Mt Katahdin of the year two friends and I got up in the AM at our leanto at Chimney Pond, signed out at the rangers station and started hiking. The first time we encountered another person was 10 hours later when we walked into Russell Pond campground. While on Hamlin we could look over to Baxter peak and saw people on the summit and along the Knifes Edge a mile or so away, but once we headed north and got behind one of the Howe Peaks we could have been in Newfoundland. This hike features several miles above treeline and unlike the Baxter summit there is no evidence of structures anywhere on the horizon. I expect the Northwest Basin Trail would have been similarly unused.

I think most of the side trails that branch off the actual AT are pretty quiet most of the time. Even during the bubble. Just my 2 cents...

Images

Quote Originally Posted by CoolBobby View Post
    I think most of the side trails that branch off the actual AT are pretty quiet most of the time. Even during the bubble. Just my 2 cents...
    in NY at harriman state park, theres a blue blaze that, as far as AT users are concerned, goes to the west mountain shelter. it actually continues past the shelter for quite a ways. across the river just after the bear mountain bridge, theres a blue blaze that goes to... well, pretty much nowhere as far as most AT hikers are probably concerned.

follow either of these blue blazes on a good weather weekend and you will find a crowd gathered on them that dwarves anything youll likely see along the AT anywhere in that vicinity, possible exception being the parts of bear mountain that are accessible via automobile (that hardly counts).

the AT is simply not the attraction so many of us think it is.

PA i love PA it gets a bad rep

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by DawnTreader View Post
    Yeah, I don't know BirdBrain. I may just be oblivious at this point. Having hiked well over 1000 miles on the AT in Maine, it is hard for me to ascertain which sections would be more difficult for certain hiking abilities. I've led several backpacking trips through the Mahoosucs, 13 year old girls, never had any issues. As for the 'Weekend Warrior.' My position has changed on them over the years. There are of course, those WW that are physically not prepared for a Mahoosuc traverse, but that crowd would struggle up Mt. Willard as well. However NE weekend warriors are a little different than in many other places. Especially the peakbaggers who also enjoy backpacking, and their numbers are growing, and they are fit as f8ck! They just choose or cannot LDH. I think a lot of thu-hiker/LDH not accustomed to the Whites and Western Maine MTs. would be surprised at how many of us Weekend Warriors, 'Massholes,' and section hikers get a kick out of the comments we hear from them after they come down from Kinsman Ridge. Often they are quite shocked by the terrain. I usually skip the part about how the AT is the easiest route through the Whites.
    As for the numbers, like I said, maybe I just don't know anymore. I guess I've hiked thru the Mahoosucs when there are tons of people several times, but also I've had some isolation there as well. hmmm. I should take better notes...
    As a clueless weekender from Up North, I'm tremendously heartened by your post. I get weird looks and remarks about the Mahoosucs or the Presidentials whenever I comment that there are trails that are considerably more difficult than the A-T. But there are. Some of them are even among my favorites.

Some of the best guidebook comments I've seen about trail sections:

"The rock is sound, holds are plentiful and routefinding is easy. Nevertheless, exposures are dramatic and less confident parties may wish to employ a rope."

"The trail ascends a long slab of anorthosite that has friction holds only. Approach shoes are recommended. Do not attempt this route when the rock is wet."

"Depending on beaver activity, this section of the trail may be submerged and impassable. At times of high water, a safe crossing can usually be made on the beaver dam, 0.25 mi (400 m) east."

"The next five miles cross a field of blowdown deposited by recent hurricanes. Faint herd paths are visible that circle some spots, and other bypasses are marked with orange flagging. Good wilderness navigation skills are required, since the hiker is virtually certain to lose the trail in this area at some point."
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Quote Originally Posted by CoolBobby View Post
    Bigelow range is crawling with hikers on weekends. Lots of blue blazed trails on both sides of the mountains that make for challenging dayhikes, separate from the AT. Of course this year, it was crawling with obnoxious students from the freshman class at Harvard. Wasn't impressed.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    As a clueless weekender from Up North, I'm tremendously heartened by your post. I get weird looks and remarks about the Mahoosucs or the Presidentials whenever I comment that there are trails that are considerably more difficult than the A-T. But there are. Some of them are even among my favorites.
    The northern LT is, by and large, as difficult as the AT in New Hampshire. It is muddier, more overgrown, more wild all around, and has a few brain-dead-steep sections around Mansfield and Camels Hump. After hiking the northern LT, the Whites feel downright civilized.

Some of the gnarlier trails in the White Mountains are not on the AT, eg. Baldface (off Rte. 113) or Tuckermans Ravine, the back side of Mt. Carrigain, or Mt. Flume (from Rte. 93). Just a few off the top of my head.

Clueless Weekender
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    The northern LT is, by and large, as difficult as the AT in New Hampshire. It is muddier, more overgrown, more wild all around, and has a few brain-dead-steep sections around Mansfield and Camels Hump. After hiking the northern LT, the Whites feel downright civilized.

Some of the gnarlier trails in the White Mountains are not on the AT, eg. Baldface (off Rte. 113) or Tuckermans Ravine, the back side of Mt. Carrigain, or Mt. Flume (from Rte. 93). Just a few off the top of my head.
    Northern LT is on my bucket list. I've done Baldface and Tuck, and agree with your assessment that they're pretty gnarly.
    I always know where I am. I'm right here.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3
++ New Posts ++