WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Registered User BenOnAdventures's Avatar
    Images

Default Tarp Storage Question

Hey adventurers, what is the best way to store a tarp shelter? In it's actual case/sack it came in (folded up) or just stuff it in a stuff sack? Thanks I appreciate any advice! Feel free to connect with me on Facebook: facebook.com/benonadventures we could talk on there as well, have a great day!!
    Feel free to connect with me on Twitter @BenOnAdventures

You wi probably get varying answers but I stuff my tents in the stuff sack and never had an issue. That said, I pull it out after every trip (currently have two laying out in my garage now) to dry. Regardless if it rained or not.

I've always folded and rolled my shelters except on rare occasions when I don't for whatever unknown reason of laziness or impatience.
    I haven't run into problems with gear I care about wearing out along repeated fold lines, probably partly because I don't fold them exactly the same each time.
    Since I don't use stuff sacks for my tarps, which are my most commonly used shelter, folding and rolling them is the easiest way to control them, although I will stuff them wet and dirty into an outside pocket when they are wet and dirty.
    I have worn out cheap poly tarps along repeated fold lines, but, who cares. After a season or so of use, I'm happy to replace them and relegate the old tarps to non-critical functions.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Journal Entries

I hang'em out till bone dry then just store in snake skins.
    hikers gonna hike

Loosely stuff all simple flat and catenary cut silny, spinnaker, and CF tarps usually in a mesh stuff sack. Dry on trail and always dry before longer term storage.

Registered User BenOnAdventures's Avatar
    Images

Thanks to all of you for the great advice! I love hearing all of the different angles its a major help to me on deciding what to do. Gotta love hearing your experiences.
    Feel free to connect with me on Twitter @BenOnAdventures

++ New Posts ++