WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Everest- the movie

Has anyone heard anything about the movie Everest that starts soon.

Images

There are some reviews online; they're not all that positive.
    It's based roughly on Krakauer's book, Into Thin Air. I highly recommend the book. There was an interesting reality tv show, Everest: Beyond the Limit, that followed a guiding service on Everest over several climbing seasons. If you can find it online or get the DVDs from your library it's worth taking a look at.

Also, there is a current movie, Meru, a documentary about a team trying to climb a wall on Mt. Meru in the Himalayas ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2545428/ ). I hope to see it soon; it got some good reviews.

Planning on seeing it. Seems like the climbing/mountaineering version of a Perfect Storm and possibly containing some elements of The Day After Tomorrow. Both Everest and TDAT star Jake Gyllenhaal. He's played in several adventuresome roles/rustic adventure stories. Uhh, Brokeback Mountain being another example.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    Planning on seeing it. Seems like the climbing/mountaineering version of a Perfect Storm and possibly containing some elements of The Day After Tomorrow. Both Everest and TDAT star Jake Gyllenhaal. He's played in several adventuresome roles/rustic adventure stories. Uhh, Brokeback Mountain being another example.
    Personally, I don't care for cowboy movies.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Quote Originally Posted by Snowleopard View Post
    It's based roughly on Krakauer's book, Into Thin Air. I highly recommend the book. There was an interesting reality tv show, Everest: Beyond the Limit, that followed a guiding service on Everest over several climbing seasons. If you can find it online or get the DVDs from your library it's worth taking a look at.

Also, there is a current movie, Meru, a documentary about a team trying to climb a wall on Mt. Meru in the Himalayas ( http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2545428/ ). I hope to see it soon; it got some good reviews.
    I saw Meru last night and thought it was good. I like the mountaineering documentaries, so I might be biased, but I thought it was worth seeing.

Images

I enjoyed Everest, but, believe it or not, it needed to be longer. at 2 hours, it didn't have enough time to focus on the numerous characters in the story. A subject so large and epic rewards a longer showtime - see Titanic. At 2:45 or three hours, it could've fleshed out the characters better.

Visually, on IMAX 3D, the film was stunning. Best I've seen in that regard.
    The more miles, the merrier!

NH4K: 21/48; N.E.4K: 25/67; NEHH: 28/100; Northeast 4K: 27/115; AT: 124/2191

Images

I saw the 10 minute (or so) preview for it and was intrigues. I am going to see it. It was a big event in my life - I closely followed the events of Rob Hall and Scott Fischer in May '96 as they unfolded as I was into climbing then and was a fan of Jon Krakaur.
    At the time Outside Online was posting continual updates about the situation (I found the internet strangely fascinating back then....).
    For the movie, it appears they tried to make it as realistic as possible and they used David Brashears as a consultant, who, if anyone is into climbing would know him or his fame. I was trying to find out the filming locations as they had to stop filming several times and get folks off the mountain for avalanches and bad weather.
    .....Someday, like many others who joined WB in the early years, I may dry up and dissapear....

I saw it a few days ago. It is actually the best movie I have seen this year. Yes, there are many characters in this movie, but since they are recognisable movie stars, you can easily hold track of them.

Why is this a really good movie? The story is believable, and it is still exciting. It is not over dramatic, like comparable movies are. Actually, when something dramatic happens, everything slows down, the totally opposite of a "normal" action movie. That is a very nice touch. They could have been using some more time to build up the story.

The only big problem for me is that Mount Everest is getting old. Find something else to make a movie about.

A few days -> yesterday, lol.

Journal Entries
    Images

I just got back from seeing this movie and it was extraordinarily moving. I did not realize David Breashears was the co-producer until after I watched it. I had opportinity a number of years ago to be at a seminar where David Breashears recounted the events from the '96 disaster and shared personal photos from the expedition. It was moving at the time, but still pictures are no comparison to this theatrical dramatization. The movie follows his account as I remembered it and brought tears to my eyes throughout. The scenery is beautiful and the 3D is not over-done. The plot/tempo is very believable and made me feel like I was there (even though I never have). I like Oslo's description of "slow action", it definitely made the urgency in the action scenes impactful. I'm more of a dystopian sci-fi guy but this movie rates high for me.
    Plaid is fast! Ticks suck, literally... It’s ok, bologna hoses off…
    Follow my hiking adventures: https://www.youtube.com/user/KrizAkoni
    Follow me on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/alphagalhikes/

I saw it in IMAX 3D today and I really enjoyed it. I know the story inside out and I think it did justice to it and did not romanticize what happened in the least. I knew how it ended and I was still holding my breath. And, as someone above mentioned, it was stunning.

I will likely see it at least one more time on the big screen.
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

Quote Originally Posted by QHShowoman View Post
    I saw it in IMAX 3D today and I really enjoyed it. I know the story inside out and I think it did justice to it and did not romanticize what happened in the least. I knew how it ended and I was still holding my breath. And, as someone above mentioned, it was stunning.

I will likely see it at least one more time on the big screen.
    There you go. That's how I want to see it. If I recall you're from the Atlanta area. Where did you see it in IMAX 3D?

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    There you go. That's how I want to see it. If I recall you're from the Atlanta area. Where did you see it in IMAX 3D?
    I live in the DC area, not ATL.

I saw a special screening of "Meru" a few weeks ago and climber Renan Ozturk was on hand to answer audience questions. It's beautifully shot and it was gripping in its own way, but without the carnage of "Everest." ;-) There's also a documentary titled "Sherpa" coming out soon that looks pretty good: www.sherpamovie.com

I loved it. And the book.

Quote Originally Posted by Oslohiker View Post
    The only big problem for me is that Mount Everest is getting old. Find something else to make a movie about.
    It seems crazy to me that there isn't a film about the 2008 K2 disaster. There are enough books and accounts of it and it's an incredible story. The only reason I can think that they haven't is that you couldn't really use big names as a high level of technical ability would be required to even half pull it off. There are a few contradictory accounts as well.

K2 fascinates me and there are so many good books on the tragedies and victories on it.

Journal Entries

Hi Dogwood, it's at Atlantic Regal Cinema (Atlantic Station) in IMAX 3D. Saw it yesterday, really enjoyed it.
    hikers gonna hike

Quote Originally Posted by pauly_j View Post
    It seems crazy to me that there isn't a film about the 2008 K2 disaster. There are enough books and accounts of it and it's an incredible story. The only reason I can think that they haven't is that you couldn't really use big names as a high level of technical ability would be required to even half pull it off. There are a few contradictory accounts as well.

K2 fascinates me and there are so many good books on the tragedies and victories on it.
    Have you seen "The Summit"? I believe it's on Netflix:

http://thesummitfilm.com

Images

I agree. Everest has turned into a traffic jam, K-2 is a killer.

And here's what Krakauer has to say about it https://www.yahoo.com/movies/s/autho...014948171.html

Author Jon Krakauer on ‘Everest’: ‘It’s Total Bull’

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++