WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Images

Default Fall Hike in Shenandoah

For those who live in the area, or just have experience with SNP in Autumn, is it as spectacular as I envision it? It was great when I hiked through in early summer during my thru-hike in 2009, but at that point, I was pushing some longer days and went through the park too quickly.
    I'd like to revisit the Shenandoah area this fall and take my time. Anything to be aware of?

I've been debating between hiking the Long Trail in Vermont & hiking from Shenandoah to the Smokies... I'm really leaning towards going South.

Open to suggestions and all feedback!

Many thanks
    "you know a dream like this seems kind of vaguely ludicrous and completely unattainable. And for anybody who's on the downside of advantage and relying purely on courage: It's possible."

Going south that way you'll get to watch the colors migrating as well. That and the elevation changes will highlight it as well. Just make sure you wear blaze orange at all times. It really is that spectacular that time of year.

Here are a few pics taken from Old Rag in SNP in October. The colors are spectacular this time of year. I will be getting married in Waynesboro, VA in the Blue Ridge Mountains October 17 this year so I hope its peak season.

Camera 2.20.2013 026.jpgCamera 2.20.2013 019.jpgCamera 2.20.2013 018.jpg

Congratulations Sean.

Lost Acoustic Blues
    (clickable)

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Colors can be quite good if you can time your visit for the mountain peak in late October, although not as incredible as New England where I grew up IMHO!

I did the northern portion of SNP in mid-September 1988 and didn't have any colors. I covered the southern section starting in mid-October 2002 and only a few stressed trees had started to turn. I passed through in late October and was treated to some pretty nice foliage. I typically try to time my hikes to hit the peak, but if you're late you end up walking through a few feet of rustling dry leaves all day long!
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Quote Originally Posted by Deer Hunter View Post
    Congratulations Sean.

Thanks Deer Hunter. My brother will be coming by your area in the next week or so. If he goes into BV I'll tell him to look you up.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Kerosene View Post
    Colors can be quite good if you can time your visit for the mountain peak in late October, although not as incredible as New England where I grew up IMHO!

I did the northern portion of SNP in mid-September 1988 and didn't have any colors. I covered the southern section starting in mid-October 2002 and only a few stressed trees had started to turn. I passed through in late October and was treated to some pretty nice foliage. I typically try to time my hikes to hit the peak, but if you're late you end up walking through a few feet of rustling dry leaves all day long!
    I finished my thru-hike in 2009 at Pine Knob Shelter in Maryland on Halloween, I had been hiking through a few feet of rustling dry leaves for weeks! Along with a few random snow falls in mid-October... this made hiking in Crocs to be even more of an adventure.

I was born and raised in New England too, it's tough to beat. I timed my SOBO flip flop (Katahdin down to Maryland) perfectly... I rode fall from ME down, seeing peak foliage in all of New England, NY, NJ, and PA. I'm looking forward to experiencing Autumn in the Southern states. I think Vermont will always be my favorite area in fall, but certain parts of CT & Mass are hard to beat.
    "you know a dream like this seems kind of vaguely ludicrous and completely unattainable. And for anybody who's on the downside of advantage and relying purely on courage: It's possible."

++ New Posts ++