WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Camping between glen brook and Tom Leonard MA

Are there any campsites between these two shelters in the beginning of the mass AT. We want to to do a 15 the first day but I'm not seeing any other options on the map which "allow" you to camp at. Also anyone in that area that could meet us at rt 23 and taxi down to the ct line? Thank you.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

Your second part first, it's a easy hitch.

The other part, the missing piece is AT trail town Great Barrington, a great hiker stay. The cheapest I know of is East Mountain Retreat center at $10/night (2013 pricing), but that might as well be 2 hitches, as its on the other end of town. Other places offer hiker rates and I have heard of a trail angel or 2 that would take hikers in.

As for camping, the AT up to Jug End road has a sign that camping is only permitted at shelters and campsites. There are a ew stealth sites near Jug End Road, which is also a campsite, but I don't think that's what they mean. Going further you will be going through residential and farm land and swamps till you start accending Jane Hill and East Mtn. If you get this far just procede to Tom Lennard, it;s pretty easy once you are up there.

Please don't stealth camp in this area. The land corridor is very narrow and we want to stay friendly with the neighbors. It is 15 miles, but more than half of is is dead flat. It's not as hard as you might think, tho it does have some stiff climb/descents at each end. I'm a pretty infrequent backpacker and have done this segment several times successfully. Start early and make time on the flats. Water is available on June Mtn about a half mile north of Boardman St. Also at the antique center where the trail crosses Rt 7. There is a spring trail east (compass south) on Jug End Rd, but it's kind of hidden in the brush on the side of the road.

As Starchild mentions, it's a pretty easy hitch into GB, easier on Rt 7 than Rt 23, usually. Berkshire South Regional Community Center has campsites and may let you shower--'tho it's on the opposite side of town from the Trail.

Cosmo

Journal Entries
    Images

Ditto Cosmo Jug End to Tom Leonard is an easy enjoyable hike. The stealth spots up on East Mountain are all within a couple miles of Tom Leonard. To be honest I have used them but given Cosmo's input won't anymore. Also there is plenty of tent space in the Tom Leonard Shelter area. Plus Beartown just North of 23 has tent sites and a ranger less than a quarter mile off trail. Then South Wilcox has both an old and new shelter. Plenty of options in a section of trail that isn't difficult. Every year some folks actually hike from the Hemlocks all the way to Upper Goose. Being a local I've never stayed at the cabin; but, having spoken to hundreds who have stayed there never have heard anything but good about the cabin. It's a stop not to be missed in Massachusetts for a good nights sleep and an outstanding morning feed. Next days hike into Dalton is not what I'd call difficult either and Dalton/Pittsfield has everything a Long Distance hiker could dream off. But to avoid weight North Adams is a better place to resupply before heading into Vermont. Greylock can be a beast after many easy miles.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by lemon b View Post
    ...The stealth spots up on East Mountain are all within a couple miles of Tom Leonard. To be honest I have used them but given Cosmo's input won't anymore.....
    East Mountain/ Jane Hill is under different rules then the section up to Jug End and fall under state game land as well. I don't know what the camping rules here are but may be different then below Jug End Rd.

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    East Mountain/ Jane Hill is under different rules then the section up to Jug End and fall under state game land as well. I don't know what the camping rules here are but may be different then below Jug End Rd.
    Actually, in Mass (and CT) camping is permitted only at designated sites. All stealth camping is illegal.

Cosmo.

Ok so I'm thinking south from lake buel rd off of rt23? To undermountain trail parking off of 41 in ct. Are these parking spots good for over nights?

This will give us a good push with some distance and some stuff we haven't seen and as stated no illegal camping.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

I've done overnight parking at the Undermountain Lot tons of times with no problem.

Jane

Images

Both parking spots are great - never had a problem, Tom Leonard has the best tent platform around.

I went during the summer a coupler years back and was kicking myself for running out of water with like 5 miles to tom lenoard. It could be foggy memory but I remember water being scarce at points and the last few miles was a little harder than the mid sections.

Quote Originally Posted by Etoryn View Post
    I went during the summer a coupler years back and was kicking myself for running out of water with like 5 miles to tom lenoard. It could be foggy memory but I remember water being scarce at points and the last few miles was a little harder than the mid sections.
    Northbound, the last water is on June Mtn between the Boardman St and Homes Rd--it's pretty dry up on the ridge after that until you get to the shelter. Lots of swamp water in the valley, but it's pretty stinky.

Cosmo

++ New Posts ++