WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Money money - What I spent

Hey guys!
    I just wanted to let you guys know that it is not hard at all to spend less than $1 a mile on a thru. I just finished on the 7th and I kept a record of every penny that I spent. I even bought quite a few burgers, beers, smokes and hostel stays. Even 2 nights in hotels!

I will be making a youtube video outlining my spending in more detail and showing where I kept the budget tight and where I spent more.

Before leaving for my hike I couldn't find any good information on budgeting, so I decided I will make some. I was also told it would be nearly impossible to spend less than $4000..... Easy peasy hahaha.

I hope I will be able to help out future hikers on knowing what they could budget, or should budget or to know where to save up more.

Thanks! I'll post a link to my video in a few weeks when it's up.

What about a post with a breakdown in the standard categories (food, lodging, gear,etc) with comments on what you found difficult, easy, what you would do differently, etc? Lots of us still like to read.

Images

Love your thru hike videos,,,,great stuff.Thank You

great stuff, look forward to seeing what you got

"I ain't as good as I once was, but I am as good once as I ever was"

Quote Originally Posted by John B View Post
    What about a post with a breakdown in the standard categories (food, lodging, gear,etc) with comments on what you found difficult, easy, what you would do differently, etc? Lots of us still like to read.
    I can write some stuff out in a the post when I get it all typed up. I dont have everything split up as well as I wish. Like sometimes I just grouped a town stop total money spent into one price in my journal. But I will do my best to split it up as accurate as possible! I've got a bit of info to share! stay tuned!

Check out the Aussielegs (a mom, two daughters). they just completed thru...the one posting spent $3300. On her last post she lists
    days hiked, nights in hotels, etc... It seems like they spent an "average" time in hostels and hotels. And did not deny themselves town food.

https://aussielegs.wordpress.com/

Well done, it's good to see you stuck to your guns. Something tells me that it didn't take you 6 months to complete, how many days for you?

Quote Originally Posted by Hangfire View Post
    how many days for you?
    I was out for 5 months 5 days!

Quote Originally Posted by Neemor View Post
    I was out for 5 months 5 days!
    That's even more impressive, I was thinking you did it in like 3-4 months which definitely keeps the price down.

Can't wait to get this info. It's a little disconcerting to see spending estimates above $3000-$4000, which just seems crazy imo. I will be starting my thru hike May 1

Love your videos too btw. It's been great to see your updates on what life on the trail is like.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    AT '16: 1,378 miles GA-NY

trail journal
    // blog

Images

I spent a little under $2,000 (gear included) on my 2009 thru-hike, but I was fortunate enough to have a ton of trail magic and random acts of kindness. I also stopped twice in towns to do odd-jobs, because I ran out of money. I worked at a hostel and painted some folks' deck to earn a little extra cash.

I suppose you cannot count on the goodness of people, but the amount of generosity I experienced along the way was shocking & life changing. My goal is to pay it forward down the road to other thru-hikers.
    "you know a dream like this seems kind of vaguely ludicrous and completely unattainable. And for anybody who's on the downside of advantage and relying purely on courage: It's possible."

Most people don't have the discipline to spend most of their time actually on the trail. Town is where you spend money...get in, get a shower, wash your clothes, get your resupply and get the hell out of dodge...it should take you 2 to 3 hours. If you need a zero day, take an extra day or two worth of food with you and zero on the trail. Most people don't have the discipline to do that. Every night you spend in a town will likely cost you 2 extra restaurant meals as well as lodging...which could easily run you $50 to $75...multiply that out times 20 weeks of a 5 month long hike and you can see how easy it is to double what this person spent.

Bar tabs are expensive. I think if you only have one or two then a thru hike can be on the light side. I love seeing people hike for the cheap. If I can only spend three grand I'll be proud of myself. Looking forward to your spreadsheet.

You have done 7 thru hikes and you are only 25? Cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by FlyFishNut View Post
    You have done 7 thru hikes and you are only 25? Cheers!
    Where do you get that from?

Quote Originally Posted by hikeandbike5 View Post
    Where do you get that from?
    In the first post it says just finished on the 7th - probably meaning Sept 7th, but someone may have read as 7th thru hike.

Thanks for sharing.

TF

"Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed that is the only thing that ever has."
    - Margaret Mead, Anthropologist

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    get in, get a shower, wash your clothes, get your resupply and get the hell out of dodge.
    Serious question- How do you get a shower without also getting lodge? I'm from England so may need to be enlightened. Do you guys have rentable shower facilities in town? Personally not too fussed about sleeping in a room over a tent but a hot shower once a week or so is a perk I go for. I've gone on a couple of hiking trips with the intention of wild-camping and ended up in a campsite for the lure of showers (after climbing a couple of mountains, getting into your sleeping bag freshly washed is worth every penny).

Axon and Shrugs, a couple from Canada did a post on their expenses.
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=511964

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by pauly_j View Post
    Serious question- How do you get a shower without also getting lodge? I'm from England so may need to be enlightened. Do you guys have rentable shower facilities in town?
    In some of the US trail towns there are places to get just a shower--a hostel, private campground, recreation center, public swimming pool, fire station, trail angel's house.... It could be $5, it could be free.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++