WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thank you for your post. I did not intend to begin my post that way, negative, i actually was trying to cover my bases and not offend anyone because everytime I post something, inevitably someone takes what I said completely out of context.

I am working with the editor on doing a SoBo hike instead of NoBo hike just for the reason of less people being there. I nearly had her convinced that she needed to remember this was my dream and my passion for the trail was what made her appealed to the idea of having me write a book on it. That she came to me with the idea and promised i could show my love for the trail itself, that the book would be about the trail itself.

But then she started reading all these dang comments and the controversy and now she thinks me doing it NoBo would be the best read. Her reasoning is if everyone on here is so rustled about it then think how many people would read it just from the controversial standpoint alone. Which is completely the opposite of what I wanted and was promised I could do.

It has not been easy but I reminded her the whole reason I even agreed to this was because they promised the book would be about the trail itself but now she is thinking there could be two main parts. The trail and the hiker when the portion about hikers was to be the smallest part of the book. She is amazed at how the trail is supposed to be this life changing experience for people and make them more calmer and patient and loving but when I came on here to a community of hikers she sees the exact opposite. Ugh....

The conversation did not go well or so I thought but then she shot me off an email saying not to worry about our disagreement, that all editors, publishers and writers often have creative differences...what the f..k ever. Sorry, just venting here.

I am going to write this book, my way, i am contractually obligated to do some things their way but in the end my contract states the book is to be about the trail itself. Period.

God I hope people will like me, i hope I like some of them, it's just that in my work I am usually alone when I record my observations and take pics and things. I get in my head and I am all alone so I do not have distractions to worry about, but on the trail during it's busiest season, i am scared it will be too hard to do my work and enjoy the trail too.

My spouse keeps telling me to just hike my hike and write my book and all will work itself out, that life usually does in its own way.

I appreciate your kind words and encouragement, i was feeling sad and tearful after all the other comments and then fighting with my editor, but honestly your comments, made me feel better. You are right, if I approach the trail with the feeling of wanting to avoid people because of my experiences on here then I will not be doing my book, the trail, or my hike itself any real justice. Sometimes hearing someone, a stranger say some thing to you a certain way can make all the difference.

Maybe I just need to go off this site, concentrate in getting myself ready for the trail, and find my inspiration again. I have loved the idea of doing this trail since I was a girl, I know deep in my heart if I do not take this chance and hike it, I will regret it the rest of my life. I am not sure I could live with that.

Thanks again for your comments, for whatever reason they struck a chord with me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kookork View Post
    To smoky spoon:

You started the thread in a way that some of the readers (including me) started to think that you are possibly a miserable person or difficult to deal with.

Your first post was in some ways difficult to read and keep a positive attitude toward you. I even can see why some may think your editor thing and book thing sounds fishy. It is you and your story that challenges the common sense . But if it is true then why should you care about what others think about you and your personality. You are what you are. Miserable, kind , creature of solitude or a social person .

How do you categorize yourself? Optimist or pessimist? Half empty glass type of person or half full ?

You and only you can benefit or suffer from your attitude during your AT hike. I have not hiked the AT but from what my limited experience says I am almost sure that if you do not like to socialize with others then they will leave you alone. Why ? because there are hundreds of other hikers that are eager to enjoy the social life of a trail with them. Why should they bother themselves and you when you don't like people and especially when you think people mostly won't like you.

Personally I feel you are a way better person in real life than what you have been trying to portray here in this forum. Just please do not start a long trail like AT with the presumption that you won't like the people and they won't like you. It just brings an unnecessary negative outlook to your hike. They may or may not like you but you won't know until you experience it first hand.

A book that is about AT and trail People( you said it in your posts) would not be honest if the writer does not interact with them or has a negative outlook about then from the get go.

I wish you and your book the best.
    Life is not about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself.

While you say you aren't interested in towns, as others mentioned - the lure of showers, a real toilet, and more food options will be a huge draw!! Perhaps, you will only restock and then head out... I could see that!

LOL the real toilet for sure! Have you thru hiked the AT? Was wondering what you thought of it? Was it what you wanted it to be?

Quote Originally Posted by shelb View Post
    While you say you aren't interested in towns, as others mentioned - the lure of showers, a real toilet, and more food options will be a huge draw!! Perhaps, you will only restock and then head out... I could see that!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Smoky Spoon View Post
    Thank you for your post. I did not intend to begin my post that way, negative, i actually was trying to cover my bases and not offend anyone because everytime I post something, inevitably someone takes what I said completely out of context.

I am working with the editor on doing a SoBo hike instead of NoBo hike just for the reason of less people being there. I nearly had her convinced that she needed to remember this was my dream and my passion for the trail was what made her appealed to the idea of having me write a book on it. That she came to me with the idea and promised i could show my love for the trail itself, that the book would be about the trail itself.

But then she started reading all these dang comments and the controversy and now she thinks me doing it NoBo would be the best read. Her reasoning is if everyone on here is so rustled about it then think how many people would read it just from the controversial standpoint alone. Which is completely the opposite of what I wanted and was promised I could do.

It has not been easy but I reminded her the whole reason I even agreed to this was because they promised the book would be about the trail itself but now she is thinking there could be two main parts. The trail and the hiker when the portion about hikers was to be the smallest part of the book. She is amazed at how the trail is supposed to be this life changing experience for people and make them more calmer and patient and loving but when I came on here to a community of hikers she sees the exact opposite. Ugh....

The conversation did not go well or so I thought but then she shot me off an email saying not to worry about our disagreement, that all editors, publishers and writers often have creative differences...what the f..k ever. Sorry, just venting here.

I am going to write this book, my way, i am contractually obligated to do some things their way but in the end my contract states the book is to be about the trail itself. Period.

God I hope people will like me, i hope I like some of them, it's just that in my work I am usually alone when I record my observations and take pics and things. I get in my head and I am all alone so I do not have distractions to worry about, but on the trail during it's busiest season, i am scared it will be too hard to do my work and enjoy the trail too.

My spouse keeps telling me to just hike my hike and write my book and all will work itself out, that life usually does in its own way.

I appreciate your kind words and encouragement, i was feeling sad and tearful after all the other comments and then fighting with my editor, but honestly your comments, made me feel better. You are right, if I approach the trail with the feeling of wanting to avoid people because of my experiences on here then I will not be doing my book, the trail, or my hike itself any real justice. Sometimes hearing someone, a stranger say some thing to you a certain way can make all the difference.

Maybe I just need to go off this site, concentrate in getting myself ready for the trail, and find my inspiration again. I have loved the idea of doing this trail since I was a girl, I know deep in my heart if I do not take this chance and hike it, I will regret it the rest of my life. I am not sure I could live with that.

Thanks again for your comments, for whatever reason they struck a chord with me.
    You won't believe it if I tell you that when I started posting in this forum I felt the same as you. I felt that some old members were obnoxious toward me but somebody told me (via PM) that there is a "baptism of fire " period for many of new comers and if I survived that period the rest would not be bad.

Fast forward a bit and I am thankful that I listened to him and stayed here. Lone Wolf was one of the members that gave me a hard time. His one liners usually hurts more than a truck load of text. But it did not take me too long to make peace with his personality and now I can't wait for the moment that I hike the AT and reach to Damascus and have a few beers with him. He is one of those people that have a big and soft heart but hides it behind a mask of macho personality.

you also might not believe that if for any unforeseen reason you need any kind of help around Damascus he is the one that would help you the most. I yet have to find a person that meets him in person and does not say he is a kind individual in real life.

If you go back to the first pages of white Blaze and read the first posts ( I am talking about years ago) you would find his name and posts there when there are not too many survivors from that period that are still actively involved in this forum. So if he demands respect he has some good reasons to back it up.

And finally you might not believe that reading between the lines I think he has no animosity toward you. Heck I even think he has been kinder to you compared to some of us when we started posting here.

So please stay with us longer and hopefully you will start to rip the harvest of being patient and forgiving. I for one don't like seeing you leave . This forum can and will teach you things that can save you from a lot of trials and errors in your future hikes.

I think the thing with lone wolf that hurt so much is he reminded me of someone, he too was called a lone wolf, we were friends forever and we recently lost him. So when I saw his name all I thought was, "how cool, another lone wolf, i bet we will be fast friends". They have similar personalities, gruff when you meet them but then all soft later. My lone wolf was never gruff with me, but I was always defending him to others because they never knew how to take him. Then I meet this one on here and he was so gruff with me on everything. When he called me a miserable person, i don't know, that felt so personal and had nothing to do with anything I asked. It hurt. Seeing the name, thinking of my friend and seeing those words. It really stung, and he wouldn't let up.

I felt stupid because just before all that went down i was planning on taking a pic of my friend our lone wolf and was going to show it him when my spouse and I were at trail days together. Then he did his comments and I don't know, i felt like such an idiot. All I kept thinking was, " man if I walked up to him at Trail days and introduced my spouse and told him about our friend the lone wolf, and he said one of his one line zingers, i would of been so humiliated, my spouse would of gotten angry etc".

I just felt so foolish for thinking they were of the same cloth. I felt really stupid, you know missing my friend and thinking that maybe the universe sent us another one and really, i was just being dumb. So that is my fault, i set myself up on that one. Lesson learned.

Now why is it I can talk with you and you do not take everything I say wrong? I do not know how they expect me to write a book anyone would want to read when everything I write on here everyone seems to hate...

I was so flattered to be asked to write the book. All these years I been researching for other writers and then bam they offer me this huge opportunity. I was so excited, i felt really proud that not only was I getting the chance to do the trail but get paid to do it and actually write about it. Talk about a dream coming true.

Do you know how many years I been planning a thru hike? Lots. But every year something came up. And then my spouse told me they were not so interested in spending their retirement years thru hiking....so we agreed me doing this book and getting paid to go was a good idea, i knew it might be my only chance to go. My spouse said if I wanted to do any thru hikes to do it while they were still working because when they retire we probably will not go on any. I was pretty shocked as we had been planning on doing them for years. But they changed their mind and well, like I said before, I am afraid this will be my only chance.

Life a short time ago was so simple, i keep asking myself when did it get so complicated? I sure messed up something somewhere. I take full responsibility, now I am trying to figure out how to fix it and still do my dream of hiking the AT.

Your post back to me was really kind. Thank you so much for that and for showing earlier how I was setting myself up to fail on the trail. And for the nice words about staying. Not sure what I will do yet, everything is so confusing but hopefully I can sort it out, i made this mess now I need to unmake it.

You won't believe it if I tell you that when I started posting in this forum I felt the same as you. I felt that some old members were obnoxious toward me but somebody told me (via PM) that there is a "baptism of fire " period for many of new comers and if I survived that period the rest would not be bad.

Fast forward a bit and I am thankful that I listened to him and stayed here. Lone Wolf was one of the members that gave me a hard time. His one liners usually hurts more than a truck load of text. But it did not take me too long to make peace with his personality and now I can't wait for the moment that I hike the AT and reach to Damascus and have a few beers with him. He is one of those people that have a big and soft heart but hides it behind a mask of macho personality.

you also might not believe that if for any unforeseen reason you need any kind of help around Damascus he is the one that would help you the most. I yet have to find a person that meets him in person and does not say he is a kind individual in real life.

If you go back to the first pages of white Blaze and read the first posts ( I am talking about years ago) you would find his name and posts there when there are not too many survivors from that period that are still actively involved in this forum. So if he demands respect he has some good reasons to back it up.

And finally you might not believe that reading between the lines I think he has no animosity toward you. Heck I even think he has been kinder to you compared to some of us when we started posting here.

So please stay with us longer and hopefully you will start to rip the harvest of being patient and forgiving. I for one don't like seeing you leave . This forum can and will teach you things that can save you from a lot of trials and errors in your future hikes.

I would trust him with my life.

Even though he makes me want to gnash my teeth sometimes. .

Journal Entries
    Images

We are all looking for the approval of others.

Spoon, folks feel how they feel, no apology needed, tell us all to go scratch an itch if it soothes your goose. Honestly I don't see ya as really hurt by all this, but then maybe ya are.

Haven't read all the posts (only 1st page). Looks like an early March start going NoBo. I started later in the month (21st) & it was cold in 2013. I used mail drops almost exclusively. At the bottom of my signature line is the schedule I took & all the mail drops that I used. Many of the P.O. locations had business alternatives that I should have used but didn't.

Be sure to pack MicroSpikes or some derivative. You'll undoubtedly encounter some icy conditions. Your editor (& you) would be upset if you fall & break something two weeks into the hike (saw that happen on my hike). You may find the desire to seek towns in the early going to escape the cold (teens or lower).

It is a very social trail. For someone wishing to have some space from other people, it may be trying. It is possible to minimize the interaction w/ other hikers, I guess. Just don't camp where they camp. You may find people you wish to associate/hike with. I did. I found that it was easier to deal w/ misery (bad weather, bugs, etc) w/ someone than to listen to the demons in my head by myself.

Anyway, I wish you luck on your hike & your subsequent bestseller.
    2013 AT Thru-hike: 3/21 to 8/19
    Schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t1M/edit#gid=0

I am planning a thru 2016. I will have dietary restrictions necessitating food shipments. I prefer not to zero in towns, and I will be carrying more food to minimize shipments. There are many people along the length of the trail who shuttle hikers. I plan to find around twenty that are willing to receive my shipment and bring it to me. If a person is willing to pay for a shuttle to get to a town just to spend money on food and lodging, yet not to see the efficiency of having same shuttle deliver a box for a small fee, (perhaps even for free), has surprised me. Am I missing something?

Quote Originally Posted by rockever2016 View Post
    I am planning a thru 2016. I will have dietary restrictions necessitating food shipments. I prefer not to zero in towns, and I will be carrying more food to minimize shipments. There are many people along the length of the trail who shuttle hikers. I plan to find around twenty that are willing to receive my shipment and bring it to me. If a person is willing to pay for a shuttle to get to a town just to spend money on food and lodging, yet not to see the efficiency of having same shuttle deliver a box for a small fee, (perhaps even for free), has surprised me. Am I missing something?
    Some (most?) hikers appreciate the opportunity for a proper hot meal, shower, laundry, and sleeping in a real bed. Every few days, at least. This isn't Lewis and Clark, or the Shackleton expedition.

I believe that choosing to resupply every three to four days actually shackles a hiker - by making them dependent on the sidetracking necessary to resupply, the costs inherent to a town stop, and the time spent off trail. Besides, I was referring to the original post where dietary needs require a different approach.

I believe that choosing to resupply every three to four days actually shackles a hiker - by making them dependent on the sidetracking necessary to resupply, the costs inherent to a town stop, and the time spent off trail. Besides, I was referring to the original post where dietary needs require a different approach.
    It cuts both ways. If town stops are less frequent, you need to carry more food, and that extra weight slows you down. There's no right or wrong here, you can choose how to go. In my observations of thru hikers over the years I've noticed lighter packs (and food loads) and more frequent town stops. The "right" interval is yours to choose. But it may well be driven by more than just food!

It would cut both ways if my intent was to avoid towns. I want to make the decision to go into towns when I want and not because I have to. I am trying to combine the old and the new philosophies of backpacking. Even with eight days of food at two pounds a day, my pack weight will be under 33 pounds with one liter of water.

Don't go away mad Smoky. Just go away.

Hey thank you for responding, I apologize for taking so long to respond, had to work and could not come on but my spouse let me know about your response and I wanted to acknowledge it and thank you for your schedule that you listed at the end. It looks to be really helpful and I appreciate it. Thanks for the tip about the microspikes and how to avoid some of the crowds too.

Quote Originally Posted by CarlZ993 View Post
    Haven't read all the posts (only 1st page). Looks like an early March start going NoBo. I started later in the month (21st) & it was cold in 2013. I used mail drops almost exclusively. At the bottom of my signature line is the schedule I took & all the mail drops that I used. Many of the P.O. locations had business alternatives that I should have used but didn't.

Be sure to pack MicroSpikes or some derivative. You'll undoubtedly encounter some icy conditions. Your editor (& you) would be upset if you fall & break something two weeks into the hike (saw that happen on my hike). You may find the desire to seek towns in the early going to escape the cold (teens or lower).

It is a very social trail. For someone wishing to have some space from other people, it may be trying. It is possible to minimize the interaction w/ other hikers, I guess. Just don't camp where they camp. You may find people you wish to associate/hike with. I did. I found that it was easier to deal w/ misery (bad weather, bugs, etc) w/ someone than to listen to the demons in my head by myself.

Anyway, I wish you luck on your hike & your subsequent bestseller.

Nice to meet a fellow hiker who seems to value hiking the trail rather than seeing the trail towns! I appreciate you responding and LOVE the idea you had of having someone shuttling my packages to me!
    I keep wondering why didn't I think of that? What a great idea!
    I take more than three days of food at time too and my pack weight is pretty low, not sure why everyone seems to think it cannot be done. I do it all the time with my work.
    I know there is some flack on here and it was great that you responded and gave advice that pertained to my questions, I thank you for that and wanted to tell you something that a friend told me on here in private message. There is the mantra of hike your own hike and people on the trail even encourage that too. So if you or I or anyone else wants to hike the trail FOR the trail and not the towns then that is okay. Because it is our hike.
    I agree with you, that if I go into town it will be because that town has something I am interested in and not because I have to, I realize that may happen from time to time but if I can lessen those instances than I am hiking the trail the way I want not the way others think I should.
    I am excited to be going in 2016 and see you are going then too, I hope I get the chance to meet you on the trail next year!
    I apologize not responding sooner but I was busy working and where I am at does not have internet.
    Again thanks for the great idea and happy trails.

It would cut both ways if my intent was to avoid towns. I want to make the decision to go into towns when I want and not because I have to. I am trying to combine the old and the new philosophies of backpacking. Even with eight days of food at two pounds a day, my pack weight will be under 33 pounds with one liter of water.

Oh please grow up. If your best wit is reminiscent of a twelve year old sitting in his stinky underwear with doritos and mountain dew stained teeth in front of a keyboard playing cyber bully then I feel so sad for you.
    I have no intention of going anywhere, mad or otherwise, I made quite a few friends on here and have every intention of fostering those friendships just as you have every intention of always being a follower instead of a leader.
    The next time you consider commenting on a thread, try to actually answer some of the questions asked instead of jumping on the bullying bandwagon. Be a leader, not a follower.

Quote Originally Posted by mainelydave View Post
    Don't go away mad Smoky. Just go away.

Smoky Spoon, I was hooked from the start, read every post! I, along with my 13yr. old Grandson plan on thru-hiking the AT this coming spring, our plan is to start on my birthday 3/5 but keep having second thoughts because of the large crowds and colder weather. Will probably stick to the plan though and see how it goes, maybe we will meet you on the trail, and I would really like that, contrary to some of the other posts I think you would be a very interesting person to talk to, I find your life very interesting and would love to hear about the ghost towns, mining towns, that you have visited and researched, always nice to meet people from other walks of life and hear of their experiences ( makes my life seem pretty dull ) and to get paid to hike the AT, that's a no brainer, I'm trying to scrape and scrounge just to get the gear to do it with! As for the rude people, I see that on all the different forums I have visited over the years, there are always a few that want to ruin it for everyone else, these forums are suppose to be helpful and for the most part they are but you will always have the select few who want to , as you put it , be the bully! I think you handled yourself very well though! Good luck to you on your hike and maybe our paths will cross, if not , I will certainly buy your book, take care my friend!

Journal Entries

Glwaga..................

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++