WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Yes I have been reassured that most of what is said on this site is nothing like it is said on the trail. I am trying to get them to change it to a southbound hike but so far no dice. Irresponsible or not I have to go where my boss tells me, as most do. My choice would be southbound and a different time but I am not the boss.

Quote Originally Posted by rafe View Post
    Within reason, the trail can be as sociable or as solitary as you want it to be.

But if you start with the northbound herd in March, forget it -- it will be a zoo, particularly at the shelters and campsites. At this point, I'd almost consider it irresponsible to go that route.

If you want solitude, go southbound, or do a flip-flop hike.

For what it's worth: there's a vast difference between what's said on this forum and what happens on the trail.
    Life is not about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself.

Quote Originally Posted by JaketheFake View Post
    Wayne, what part of the East Tx rain forest are you in? I am very familiar with these parts. Funny, when people on this site start talking about solitude I immediately think....hike certain parts of East Tx!!!
    Thanks for asking.

I spend about 99% of my time working too many hours in Houston. No time for fun stuff, darn it.
    If all goes according to plan, I'll retire in March, 2016. Then I will move home to Wood County, TX. The house is about 10 miles north of Brookshire's in Hawkins. The nearest Walmart is 20 miles away. We like it like that.
    I am already planning my first backpacking trip with a friend. We plan to "jump off the train and hike around."
    I am also gathering information on the Quachita and Ozark Highlands Trails as well as Big Bend NP. Arkansas is less than a day and Big Bend is a long day from the house. I also plan to get on my bike for some touring.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Quote Originally Posted by Smoky Spoon View Post
    Yes I have been reassured that most of what is said on this site is nothing like it is said on the trail. I am trying to get them to change it to a southbound hike but so far no dice. Irresponsible or not I have to go where my boss tells me, as most do. My choice would be southbound and a different time but I am not the boss.
    you ain't in charge of your own life? who is this "editor"? AT books are a dime a dozen. most are boring

Then I will not have to worry about you reading it will I?

Quote Originally Posted by Lone Wolf View Post
    you ain't in charge of your own life? who is this "editor"? AT books are a dime a dozen. most are boring

Journal Entries
    Images

I was wondering that, too.

I might understand an editor exercising that kind of control if he were dealing with the next Robyn Davidson but what publisher with the funds to command obedience could possibly be interested in someone hiking the AT?

No matter who the author might be.

Wow, this has been a tough read. I hope your books are easier to read. Please don't pen the Fennegans Wake of AT novels.

I just find it humorous that he keeps telling me the book will be a sh...y read but yet he keeps reading my posts. And of course he HAS to
    Guess he thinks mighty high of himself to assert his opinion repeatedly without giving any advice pertaining to the questions asked. I do not take it personally I have seen him do it with most posts. Guess he has nothing better to do like outfit a person for a hike or set them up for an adventure. Got so much time on his hands, he feels COMPELLED to read my threads and comment. Which does make me wonder, since he shows so much interest, will he be the first in line to buy my sh..ty book?
    How does that ignore button work and where is it?

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    I was wondering that, too.

I might understand an editor exercising that kind of control if he were dealing with the next Robyn Davidson but what publisher with the funds to command obedience could possibly be interested in someone hiking the AT?

No matter who the author might be.

What publishing company are you employed by? The controlling nature of your editor just makes it seem somewhat far fetched. Did they come up with the premise for the book? It all just seems contradictory to creativity. I'm at a loss how anyone could imagine a good read being born out of such circumstances. I spent time working for Jones and Bartlett for a while contributing towards medical textbooks and even they weren't as controlling.

I hope you don't feel I'm taking a shot at you, but this year alone I've run into countless folks who claimed they were going to write a book about their AT experience, after a while some of us just stop paying attention or find it annoying. It's not that I'm accusing you of lying (I don't care really), but I'd be lying myself if I said it doesn't sound fishy at times. Of course there are exceptions, AWOL and Just Bill to name a few, but they are in the minority.

I read what you had to say, you're anti social, I get it. The AT is for the most part a social trail though. Reading a book about someone who doesn't really want to hike such a populated trail, whose only purpose for hiking it was writing said book is not a good premise. I hope it turns out great, but I have real doubts. It's like you have no idea just how different this trail can be during thru hiker season, it's not a wilderness trail, it starts just north of Atlantic, flies through some of the most populated park areas in the country and within an hour of major cities like DC, Baltimore, Philly, NYC, etc etc. What in the world is your editor thinking? Maybe if you were able to write a humorous account of your journey but I'm not getting the feeling that that's your shtick.

I wish I could say I thought it was a good idea, but I don't. The trail is already heavily populated, plenty would say over populated, and now we're going to have people on it during busy season that don't even want to be there...? Great! Everyone has the right to hike the AT but perhaps your editor should rethink this scheme.

As for Lonewolf, I haven't had much interaction with him in the time I've been a member here, but I respect his opinion and enjoy his post. Don't look at it as he's attacking you, his post do have substance.

Frye, why do you think i do not want to be there? Of course I want to be there, it's the AT! It is number one on my bucket list. I have thought about that trail for years. I have researched it for years. I have tons of books on it and am always looking for more. I love the AT. But just because I love the AT does not mean I have to like being around people.

What it means is going at the time of year when most people will be there, and yes that might make me uncomfortable but so what? I am a grown up, I am a professional. So of course I will go on the trail at a time that might not be ideal for me because sometimes that is what you do when you work for someone other than yourself.

As for what other people claim about writing a book, what can I say to that? I do not know them, i have no control over what other people say or do or say what they are going to do. What I do know is that the whole situation is a gold mine for me....think about this, because my spouse and I have and here is how we see it:
    I go on the trail, learn a few things about myself (because nearly everyone does) ;
    I go on the trail and make a few friends ( i am told it is nearly impossible for that not to happen);
    I go on the trail and have the time of my life ( who doesn't );
    I go on the trail and someone else is footing the bill and I check off my number one bucket list item and live a huge dream of mine;
    I go on the trail and write an awesome book;
    I go on the trail and write a crappy book, it's their dime, my time and I will be living my dream!

Where is the lose in this for me? My spouse Lee said it best, "Honey, this is anot opportunity of a lifetime, you would be an idiot to pass it up"

So they have a few rules I am uncomfortable with, they have a premise for the book that may or may not sell, who cares? I am going on the AT! Don't you get it? I am going on the AT and everything I need they will pay for, they will pay me for my time of being there and of writing it whether the book sells or not. So hell yeah I am going, oh yeah I am writing that book and oh yeah I am replacing lots of my gear and keeping it because as they said it will be MY gear.

Would you seriously pass an opportunity like this up?

If telling some one you never met they are a miserable person and will write a sh..ty book is what you call substance then by all means, hang with the wolf man. But please, do it far from me.

Quote Originally Posted by Frye View Post
    What publishing company are you employed by? The controlling nature of your editor just makes it seem somewhat far fetched. Did they come up with the premise for the book? It all just seems contradictory to creativity. I'm at a loss how anyone could imagine a good read being born out of such circumstances. I spent time working for Jones and Bartlett for a while contributing towards medical textbooks and even they weren't as controlling.

I hope you don't feel I'm taking a shot at you, but this year alone I've run into countless folks who claimed they were going to write a book about their AT experience, after a while some of us just stop paying attention or find it annoying. It's not that I'm accusing you of lying (I don't care really), but I'd be lying myself if I said it doesn't sound fishy at times. Of course there are exceptions, AWOL and Just Bill to name a few, but they are in the minority.

I read what you had to say, you're anti social, I get it. The AT is for the most part a social trail though. Reading a book about someone who doesn't really want to hike such a populated trail, whose only purpose for hiking it was writing said book is not a good premise. I hope it turns out great, but I have real doubts. It's like you have no idea just how different this trail can be during thru hiker season, it's not a wilderness trail, it starts just north of Atlantic, flies through some of the most populated park areas in the country and within an hour of major cities like DC, Baltimore, Philly, NYC, etc etc. What in the world is your editor thinking? Maybe if you were able to write a humorous account of your journey but I'm not getting the feeling that that's your shtick.

I wish I could say I thought it was a good idea, but I don't. The trail is already heavily populated, plenty would say over populated, and now we're going to have people on it during busy season that don't even want to be there...? Great! Everyone has the right to hike the AT but perhaps your editor should rethink this scheme.

As for Lonewolf, I haven't had much interaction with him in the time I've been a member here, but I respect his opinion and enjoy his post. Don't look at it as he's attacking you, his post do have substance.

Journal Entries
    Images

Fiction, I assume.

Frye, why do you think i do not want to be there? Of course I want to be there, it's the AT! It is number one on my bucket list. I have thought about that trail for years. I have researched it for years. I have tons of books on it and am always looking for more. I love the AT. But just because I love the AT does not mean I have to like being around people.

What it means is going at the time of year when most people will be there, and yes that might make me uncomfortable but so what? I am a grown up, I am a professional. So of course I will go on the trail at a time that might not be ideal for me because sometimes that is what you do when you work for someone other than yourself.

As for what other people claim about writing a book, what can I say to that? I do not know them, i have no control over what other people say or do or say what they are going to do. What I do know is that the whole situation is a gold mine for me....think about this, because my spouse and I have and here is how we see it:
    I go on the trail, learn a few things about myself (because nearly everyone does) ;
    I go on the trail and make a few friends ( i am told it is nearly impossible for that not to happen);
    I go on the trail and have the time of my life ( who doesn't );
    I go on the trail and someone else is footing the bill and I check off my number one bucket list item and live a huge dream of mine;
    I go on the trail and write an awesome book;
    I go on the trail and write a crappy book, it's their dime, my time and I will be living my dream!

Where is the lose in this for me? My spouse Lee said it best, "Honey, this is anot opportunity of a lifetime, you would be an idiot to pass it up"

So they have a few rules I am uncomfortable with, they have a premise for the book that may or may not sell, who cares? I am going on the AT! Don't you get it? I am going on the AT and everything I need they will pay for, they will pay me for my time of being there and of writing it whether the book sells or not. So hell yeah I am going, oh yeah I am writing that book and oh yeah I am replacing lots of my gear and keeping it because as they said it will be MY gear.

If telling some one you never met they are a miserable person and will write a sh..ty book is what you call substance then by all means, hang with the wolf man. But please, do it far from me.
    you've researched the AT for years, you have tons of books about it, you've never walked on it. why do you need ?s answered? BTW what are the titles of your other books?

Images

To smoky spoon:

You started the thread in a way that some of the readers (including me) started to think that you are possibly a miserable person or difficult to deal with.

Your first post was in some ways difficult to read and keep a positive attitude toward you. I even can see why some may think your editor thing and book thing sounds fishy. It is you and your story that challenges the common sense . But if it is true then why should you care about what others think about you and your personality. You are what you are. Miserable, kind , creature of solitude or a social person .

How do you categorize yourself? Optimist or pessimist? Half empty glass type of person or half full ?

You and only you can benefit or suffer from your attitude during your AT hike. I have not hiked the AT but from what my limited experience says I am almost sure that if you do not like to socialize with others then they will leave you alone. Why ? because there are hundreds of other hikers that are eager to enjoy the social life of a trail with them. Why should they bother themselves and you when you don't like people and especially when you think people mostly won't like you.

Personally I feel you are a way better person in real life than what you have been trying to portray here in this forum. Just please do not start a long trail like AT with the presumption that you won't like the people and they won't like you. It just brings an unnecessary negative outlook to your hike. They may or may not like you but you won't know until you experience it first hand.

A book that is about AT and trail People( you said it in your posts) would not be honest if the writer does not interact with them or has a negative outlook about then from the get go.

I wish you and your book the best.

i'll refrain from running my mouth anymore on your thread. i really wish you well on your walk. btw i did read earl's book. and bryson's. the only 2 on the AT

Geez if you are going to be obsessed with someone at least get your facts straight. I have been on the AT. I have never thru hiked it. Said that already.

IF you had actually taken time to read my post thoroughly or asked me then you would of already known my coming on here has been answered, a lot. My editor thought it was a great idea AND...
    I came on the same as others, new and updated information, why are you on here? Have you thru hiked the AT? What is your motivation behind calling me a miserable person? What is your motivation behind saying it would be a sh...ty book?

I am not a writer, had you read my posts you would know that too. I am a researcher for writers, which is why we (my family and i) were so shocked I was asked to do this! Duh....

And why would I pass it up? If your boss at the outfitters asked you to take some new gear home, wear it on a thru hike that they pay for and then write up some reviews about it and then said to keep the gear, would you do it?

Seriously I have no idea what your deal is and frankly could care less, i do not know you, i do not want to know you, i have seen your other posts, rarely are they kind or helpful, usually one liners of what you obviously think is wit but IMHO is mean spirited and serves to drive new hikers to this site away. I get you have your little male groupies and all that, but please call off your pups and go slink back in your den where you belong and leave me alone.

I am sick and tired of the let's attack the new people who are excited about doing their first thru hike to the point you take all their joy and excitement out of something so precious to them. I realize you need to put others down to make yourself feel better for whatever is obviously lacking in your life but really, go find some other new person to this site to harrass because you and I both know you will David. That is what you do best.

Now as far as I am concerned this thread is done, so have your last word, get your male groupies to comment all they like but as I said before, i got what I needed and am moving on now.

Seriously, how does the block/ignore thing work? Anyone? Please?

you've researched the AT for years, you have tons of books about it, you've never walked on it. why do you need ?s answered? BTW what are the titles of your other books?

Here are some of my books and texts on the AT. Earl V Shaffer's book Walking With Spring is on loan out.

Please go enjoy your life as I will mine.
    Attached Images Attached Images

If I made any assumptions then I'm sorry. Try being a little less negative and I'll try assuming less!

I get you have your little male groupies and all that
    LOL. I wanna say something but I'm giggling to much.

-

My take: your editor is setting you up to fail - and you are not doing much to avoid it either

-

to the point you take all their joy and excitement out of something so precious to them.

?
    by your own admission, you pretty well have this taken care of yourself

Quote Originally Posted by George View Post
    My take: your editor is setting you up to fail - and you are not doing much to avoid it either
    This. The vast majority of thru-hike attempts do fail. Maybe it's not 9 out of 10 that fail. Maybe it's just 2 out of 3 these days. A whole lot of people (including many who thought they were well-prepared) end up not enjoying it enough to keep on doing it for four, five or six months.

Smoky Spoon has taken what she calls "a lifelong dream" and turned it into a paid gig. Her thru-hike will be a vocation, not a recreation. She's already making compromises that run against her instincts and best interests.

But anyway -- if it's a paid gig, why would I offer advice for free? Go do your hike, Smoky. Have fun. If your book is a big hit, maybe I'll read it some day.

Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
++ New Posts ++