WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy of PA View Post
    I don't know what the rules are in your state but in PA if you are receiving unemployment you must be seeking a job. I could not go hiking until my unemployment ran out and I was unable to find work. Don't count on it to help with a house payment while hiking. Happy Trails!
    Same in every state I imagine at least in theory. In practice, you have to apply to 2 jobs a week in MD. There are no requirements (that I know of) on what kind of job you apply for. They would probably look at you sideways if you're only appling to brain surgeon jobs when you dropped out of middle school to milk the cows. In theory they can audit you and you have to be able to prove what jobs you've applied for, when, and how. They've never checked on me before (sadly, I've been laid off 4 times in the last 11 yrs). If I was able to get unemployment, I would be willing to roll the dice on using it and "applying" to jobs while on the trail. Um, no Thurs at 2 won't work for an interview. How's 3 months from next Tues sound?

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    I cant count the people i know that retired, and still work in the 60-70 age group. Many find out that they like the income and letting that 401 k ride, and then have the money to do some extravagant trips w/spouse that they would never afford otherwise. Plus , working is more enjoyable when you dont have to, and can say FU at any time. Especially if you are contract hourlt and can just take off when you want to do something, and work when you dont.
    All too often I hear "for the medical". Sad and wrong on so many levels.

Working when you can walk out and say FU would certainly change things. If I one a $250,000 lottery I'd probably be in that boat. If the house was paid off, I've got to earn enough for groceries and property taxes. I could job hop at that point. You know what, Lowes sucks. I'm going across the street to Home Depot. Or go get a job at a brew pub regardless of what it pays. Learn the business side of things.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Smoky Spoon View Post
    Kind of like that saying, the number one death for older people is retirement. They spent their life being active and needed, then retire and suddenly they feel depressed. Doing the things you suggest muddy waters is what stimulates their brains and inspires them. They have reasons to get up in the morning again. Or something like that....
    Pff, people that don't know how to retire have no imagination. I have enough hobbies to keep me busy. If I get tired of collecting pennies, I can collect pine needles. The Japanese blue whatever the hell that only grows on some tiny island ... that'll keep me busy. I don't need a job to give me purpose. At the very least go volunteer at the Cat Orphan Home.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    What's being offered BrewerBob are not necessarily solutions specifically financially applicable for you as financial situations, as how hikes are to be funded, just like anything is funded, is achieved in untold different ways while factoring in each individual's financial situation. What I would hope you take away is NOT focusing on how someone else's finances or situations are not exactly like yours BUT TO INSPIRE YOU to seek appropriate solutions specific to you and your life's situations.
    It was a two fold question really.

1) What are you doing specifically that I can steal and do too?
    2) How are you doing it at the age of 30~45 when you are supposed to have 2.4 kids, a double mortgage, etc. (from a curiosity standpoint)?

Tolls = highway tolls. These tolls are included in your public transportation fare which are SIGNIFICANTLY LESS than if you pay them yourself driving your own vehicle. Automobile insurance rates go down too when you limit your driving to X amount of miles/wk/month. And, of course other savings are had on lower fuel costs. BTW, what ever happened to car pooling? I see the majority of commuters in BIG SUVs, etc capable of comfortably seating 5-6 people ROUTINELY with only one person. There's also CAR SHARING where you lower your need for car use that SAVES several folks I know that do it $4000 or more PER YR and reduces or eliminates the temptation to drive to shopping sprees. This also frees up time in several aspects.
    I get the reduced costs and all that. I was curious about highway tolls in ATL. Didn't know there were any. On the eastern seaboard they start in DC and run north. There are a few exceptions that I know of: turnpike (I-75) in FL, and the Tampa Bay bridge.

Journal Entries
    Images

is that my career is my passion NOT MY TOIL.
    I've never had that "problem". Someday when I grow up maybe.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Cotton Terry View Post
    By your OP, I'm not sure how your fortunes would significantly change by 2017, but if so, wait it out. Regarding the house, work something out with the bank. They have all the foreclosed homes they want. Regarding the job, I was a Supplier Quality Engineer and know from experience there are all kinds of Quality Engineering jobs out there for when you get off the trail - maybe 6 months away will help your disposition toward the profession. Sell the cars to help fund the hike. There's not much you can do about your daughter. Maybe she will live with her mother. But, I wouldn't denigrate her too much about her income. This is the worst economy in my lifetime. The kids these days are pretty much screwed.
    '17 is assuming the house is fixed up and sold, money set aside and not touched, moving back into an apartment (not needing one at all for the hike), etc. 18 months is a lot more time than just 6 months.

I do need to check with the bank. Once I'm back in and the dust has settled, I'm going to refi at the very least to get the wife's name off the deed/loan.

6~9 months is about what it takes me to find a new job in Quality. That worst economy applies there as well.

I'm not bad mouthing the daughter's income per se. There's a bit of history there too that I left out. She's working to pay for classes. Fair enough. She's working at Dollar General and it took her quite awhile to find even that. They pay minimum wage. It's a sucky job. With all of that said, she wanted to wait 2 semesters before starting jr college. She's already missed this fall. Putting off college for Dollar General is unacceptable. When I do sell the house, I've still got to worry about her. Minimum wage isn't going to pay for an apartment much else apartment and collge. Graduating college with +$100k in student loans should get your degree revoked. It's retarded unless you're guaranteed a job as CEO of some company. As you mentioned, kids are totally screwed these days.

I could send her off to the Chair Force.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Datto View Post
    Suggestions to consider:

1) $5,000 is the most realistic planning cost number from door to door in order to start and finish a thru-hike. This doesn't include any of the costs to take time off before or after the thru-hike (those costs would be in addition to the costs for door-to-door costs). It also includes only replenishable gear costs, not the initial costs for gear to start an AT thru-hike.

2) The biggest risk you face is leaving your existing job, getting on the AT to start a thru-hike and then having to get off the Trail in the first 30 days of your AT thru-hike (a large percentage of people who start an AT thru-hike leave the Trail in the first 30 calendar days of their thru-hike and in your case, would leave you screwed). Keep in mind that only 15% of people who start a thru-hike actually hike past every blaze to finish a thru-hike (the ATC thru-hiker finisher numbers are complete malarkey -- 15% is the real number). Because getting off the AT early is your biggest risk, you should get out and hike for several one-week trips where you carry your food for a one-week period, hike a minimum of eight miles per day so you're not just camping in the same place -- then don't return to your car before the week is up. If you have a treadmill, get on it every weekday for a minimum of 30 minutes per day until you can hike for 40 minutes continuously on the treadmill while carrying your full backpack on a 6% up-slope. That will get your ready for Georgia so you aren't so surprised at the steep terrain in Georgia (the most difficult terrain is in New Hampsire/Maine but your thru-hike will get you ready for that surprise). Then, prior to starting your AT thru-hike, specifically plan hikes where you have to hike in the rain and snow (don't take any unnecessary risks -- just get some hikes in where you have to hike continuousely for a few days in downpours, not sit out the downpour in a tent/shelter). That will give you just a very small taste of what an AT thru-hike is about and will allow you to decide, ahead of turning in your resignation and your drop-dead date, whether an AT thru-hike is for you or not.

3) If I was you, I would calculate your individual net worth and assuming it is a positive number, not spend more than a maximum 25% of your net worth on an AT thru-hike. This maximum 25% should include costs for pre-hike time after resignation and costs for post-hike time (minimum 30 calendar days) to get acclimated back to the real world with an income-producing job again. I suspect you will have to rent out your house in order to have a chance to making the numbers work to keep from going into the hole further and returning destitute from the AT. By the way, I can't imagine having to handle renter issues while thru-hiking the AT. Of course, I'm the guy that carried a big-envelope IRS present for more than 700 miles on my AT thru-hike before opening the envelope and seeing what was up with the IRS (turned out it wasn't much to be worred about anyhow). Note that one of the significant reasons for people to leave the Trail during an AT thru-hike is something happening back at home that has to be handled.

4) It's highly likely you will have a significantly different view of your needs and wants (compared to now) if you successfully complete a thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail. You may be very surprised at the recognition of how little you need to be happy after successfully completing a thru-hike of the Appalachian Trail.

5) This particular economic upturn in the business cycle (since the bottom of the Great Recession) is getting a bit long in the tooth. As such, the current time is probably closer to the peak in the economy for this business cycle than it is to the past valley. That may affect your chances to get another job quickly after returning from a successful AT thru-hike.

6) Your reason for existence is to find happiness -- it's not to toil and slave nor fritter your time away while you're here. Finding happiness involves these three activities; 1) have fun, 2) live fully and 3) peace.

Datto
    Well stated all the way around.
    1) Higher than I though. Figured the $4~$5k was gearing up as well. It's also very dependent on zero days, hostels, etc. No idea how I'll fare there compared to the average.
    2) Quitting in the first month would suck. It would suck even job aside. I'm sure most if not all say it but I doubt that'll be the case. If I break a leg or totally blow out a knee, then yeah. But quitting because there are bugs, rain, etc. isn't likely. As for the week long work up hikes, I'd love nothing more. I don't have the PTO time tho. Once back in the house and accustomed to the electric bill, etc. I can lookat taking time off without pay. Assuming that is out of the question, I still want to pick 2 and 3 day weekends to go out in ****ty weather. I have every intention of doing just that. But 3 days, you're looking at the light at the end of the tunnel before leaving the driveway.
    3) I'm thinking a thru hike will be a career changer. I have no problem living smaller. Just need to get rid of current liabilities. I'd love to go work REI in Seattle. I was born on the wrong coast. Conceived there.
    4) See 3. I'm already having those thoughts.
    5) Getting expenses down so that a part time job would cover the bills would be great. Or, buy an van type RV and worry about gas/food money and otherwise quit the rat race.
    6) 5 would go a long way towards 6. I know it's been done before. Get the daughter stable and on her feet, get rid of the house, and spin the wheel (or wheels... see what I did there )

Journal Entries
    Images

In my experience going to work everyday and saving money each week is the key. No magic bullets in my life.

One of the keys to successfully doing a (whole) thru-hike is to have a clear mind to enjoy what you are doing NOW!
    Not worrying about your bills, kids, house, etc.
    Sell the house.
    Sell the car.
    Get the daughter's problems taken care of BEFORE you start.
    Or else you'll be one of those on the phone trying to deal with that world rather than enjoying the campfire or sound of rain on the tent and can't wait for tomorrow's hike.
    Don't let your fears stand in the way of your dreams

Is that really how thru hikers view their loved ones and their responsibilities? As "problems and annoyances that have to be dealt with" so they can enjoy their 6 month vacation? Wow...just wow.

Quote Originally Posted by Traffic Jam View Post
    Is that really how thru hikers view their loved ones and their responsibilities? As "problems and annoyances that have to be dealt with" so they can enjoy their 6 month vacation? Wow...just wow.
    Hard to assign that to all long distance hikers, certainly some, but hardly all. Much as some will use unemployment shenanigans to fund these vacations, the vast majority will do their due diligence to finance and support themselves and family (presuming they have any).

Quote Originally Posted by AT Traveler View Post
    Hard to assign that to all long distance hikers, certainly some, but hardly all. Much as some will use unemployment shenanigans to fund these vacations, the vast majority will do their due diligence to finance and support themselves and family (presuming they have any).
    My apologies, I was out of line...just feeling bad about the OP's children having to deal with the breakup of their family, possible financial instability, and life challenges.

OP, my son was in the same predicament as your daughter but is now a successful college student and nearly 100% self-supportive. There's no easy or quick fix. It takes time and patience but they're worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by AT Traveler View Post
    My apologies, I was out of line...just feeling bad about the OP's children having to deal with the breakup of their family, possible financial instability, and life challenges.

OP, my son was in the same predicament as your daughter but is now a successful college student and nearly 100% self-supportive. There's no easy or quick fix. It takes time and patience but they're worth it.

Quote Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
    Same in every state I imagine at least in theory. In practice, you have to apply to 2 jobs a week in MD. There are no requirements (that I know of) on what kind of job you apply for. They would probably look at you sideways if you're only appling to brain surgeon jobs when you dropped out of middle school to milk the cows. In theory they can audit you and you have to be able to prove what jobs you've applied for, when, and how. They've never checked on me before (sadly, I've been laid off 4 times in the last 11 yrs). If I was able to get unemployment, I would be willing to roll the dice on using it and "applying" to jobs while on the trail. Um, no Thurs at 2 won't work for an interview. How's 3 months from next Tues sound?

You have to ACTIVELY be seeking work. It may be frowned upon here by some making assumptions and judgments without knowing each individuals specific situation but there is NO REQUIRMENT for collecting unemployment that one MUST be sitting on their couch or by the telephone waiting AT HOME for an interview to take place to be actively seeking work.

Personally, when I lived and mostly worked in the Northeast and before I obtained Horticulture and Landscape Architecture degrees which provided greater job opportunities in warmer areas of the U.S. or full time year round work it was customary to be laid off in the winter. In all those years in the Northeast I collected unemployment twice even though I could have and would have collected unemployment had I applied.

And, although I've observed and knew of a few hikers collecting unemployment, I've see it done according to the requirements of collecting unemployment. Of course, there are unscrupulous individuals in all walks of life and hikers aren't immune from that category.

It was a two fold question really.

1) What are you doing specifically that I can steal and do too?
    2) How are you doing it at the age of 30~45 when you are supposed to have 2.4 kids, a double mortgage, etc. (from a curiosity standpoint)?

I get the reduced costs and all that. I was curious about highway tolls in ATL. Didn't know there were any. On the eastern seaboard they start in DC and run north. There are a few exceptions that I know of: turnpike (I-75) in FL, and the Tampa Bay bridge.

I'm not following you.

As far as 2) you're making assumptions about all people's situation in the 30-45 age bracket. Just because YOU MAY find yourself with 2.4 children and a double mortgage that doesn't apply to ALL.

One of the HUGE issues with attempting to answer your original question, "how are you funding your hike?" is that financial situations are often individually complex and unique. Further compounding the complexity is hiking in itself and funding hiking activities invariably is massively individually unique. Inevitably, what I see happens is when others start offering possible financial solutions is a wall is quickly erected as those seeking answers start shooting down ideas or dismissing ideas because the ideas offered didn't somehow hit the inquirer's financial bulls eye situation.

That's why threads like this regarding finances quickly go down the rabbit hole. And, it's why I made the comment, "what's being offered BrewerBob are not necessarily solutions specifically financially applicable for you as financial situations, as how hikes are to be funded, just like anything is funded, is achieved in untold different ways while factoring in each individual's financial situation. What I would hope you take away is NOT focusing on how someone else's finances or situations are not exactly like yours BUT TO INSPIRE YOU to seek appropriate solutions specific to you and your life's situations."

No I get it, I have two in college and when they first started it was tough, in many ways. Mine too are now very self-sufficient and extremely productive. Finally starting to see some of those rewards you hear about you know?
    I guess I am luckier than most, I am retired so I have an income either way I go and I am crazy about my spouse who is very supportive of my hiking. Not to mention the job I do let's me hike to all kinds of places that are supercool. But please let me say it did not come easy, I paid my dues and busted my behind to get what I have now. So for me there are no painful responsibilities or annoyances other than making sure I get my meds when hiking but again I lucked out, my spouse works in medicine and really helped me figure out how to manage that while on the trails or hiking in remote places for long periods of time for my research work.
    I admit, I kind of winced when I saw those words, wondered how it would make me feel if my spouse used them on me. So I get it.

Life is not about finding yourself, it's about creating yourself.

Journal Entries
    Images

I'm not following you.

As far as 2) you're making assumptions about all people's situation in the 30-45 age bracket. Just because YOU MAY find yourself with 2.4 children and a double mortgage that doesn't apply to ALL.

One of the HUGE issues with attempting to answer your original question, "how are you funding your hike?" is that financial situations are often individually complex and unique. Further compounding the complexity is hiking in itself and funding hiking activities invariably is massively individually unique. Inevitably, what I see happens is when others start offering possible financial solutions is a wall is quickly erected as those seeking answers start shooting down ideas or dismissing ideas because the ideas offered didn't somehow hit the inquirer's financial bulls eye situation.

That's why threads like this regarding finances quickly go down the rabbit hole. And, it's why I made the comment, "what's being offered BrewerBob are not necessarily solutions specifically financially applicable for you as financial situations, as how hikes are to be funded, just like anything is funded, is achieved in untold different ways while factoring in each individual's financial situation. What I would hope you take away is NOT focusing on how someone else's finances or situations are not exactly like yours BUT TO INSPIRE YOU to seek appropriate solutions specific to you and your life's situations."
    I know that funding, work, family, etc. is all highly personalized. I get that. I'm not looking for a one size fits all.

1) Is supposed to be a list of ideas. They may have worked great for you but would never work for anyone else. But a list is a good place to start. Being overly simplistic, I would never have thought of delivering newspapers if I didn't know what a newspaper was. For all I know there could be an REI, BassPro, etc "scholarship" for thru hikers but you have to know the secret handshake to get in.

2) Is supposed to be for those in more similar shoes. As a stereotype, the 30~45 yr old aren't waiting tables wondering what they want to do when they grow up. They have teh 2.4 kids, a house, a spouse, etc. All of the "responsible" kind of things that makes you an accepted member of society in the real world. Granted anyone considering, starting, or completing a thru hike is already outside of the norm. Normal people don't wander around in the woods for 6 months.

*Note: this should be read with a wide assortment of smilies thrown in. If you don't have kids then #2 doesn't apply. If you've deposited 50% of every dime thru-out your entire life then #1 doesn't really apply. It's a great concept but I can't very well go back in time and do that even if I was inclined to do so.

Journal Entries
    Images

No apology needed.

People are problems and annoyances but hopefully the good outweighs the bad. Ying and yang. Good and bad. All of that jazz. You're kids' graduation in May/June is a huge pain in the ass. You can still be glad/proud that they are graduating, it's not your kids' fault, you may not miss graduation for the world but it's still a problem and annoyance. How are you going to start a hike, get off the trail, get back home, then return to the trail? <-- That is a problem. A problem in logistics if nothing else.

It's an annoyance too. Does the graduation have to be in prime hiking season?!? What were the schools thinking? Don't they know anything about the A.T., PCT, etc.? They're supposed to be about learning and thinking outside of the box and here they are mucking **** up. The entire school board should be force marched the entire triple crown back to back in the same year.. Then maybe they'd learn a thing or two.

Journal Entries
    Images

To everyone else,
    It's looking more and more like '17 is the better year. The gf's lease is up in May, perfect for a SOBO or a flip-flop but I don't know if I can do that. I'm something of a purist and I don't know if anything other than Mt. Katahdin 3 days out would do for a finish. I should probably start a poll for that. I'm sure there are a few around that have hiked both a NOBO and SOBO. Which was first, any regrets, etc.

I stop walking and bend over to pick up pennies. Pride is NOT one of my shortcomings. I have many but that ain't one of them. One of them is being up on technology. I'm young enough to know the terms (generally) but old enough that I don't have much clue as to how they work.

I don't have a problem with the theory. I have a problem with the application. I don't have a problem putting money on the "Save Timmy" jar at the convenience store as long as they are honest. I don't have a problem with flipping someone $5 for their hiking fund either. My problem both on receiving or giving, is how do you make yourself known? There's gotta be 37 bajillion people with their hands out asking for money.

How = websites, fancy posting, etc.

And why the duck and run? If you don't support the vagrant lifestyle then don't contribute. That's rather simple no?

Im in the same way stopping to pick up tossed pennies. I never figured out throwing money away. I refuse to do a go fund me for anything. I guess I'm part of the if you want it work for it generation. Hell I've picked up a few carving commissions for a new bike I want. I would honestly do that and whatever else I could to fund a hike. Begging money? Yeah I'll pass that would make the hike not as much fun. But hey who am I? If it works go for it. I know nothing about them
    "Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."

By Doug Larson

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
++ New Posts ++