So, I want to do a 2016 thru hike. As the time gets closer, I'm not saving a lot of money. It's more fun spending it on other travels. That aside, are you having to fund a life off the trail while you are on the trail? And if so, how?

I'm soon to be divorced. The ex-wife is moving out of the house and I'm moving back in. Maryland requires a 1yr separation. So, I'll save $975 a month on rent but I'm still spending $2200 a month on mortgage. The house is upside down and can't be sold for what is owed. Besides that, my daughter is still living there. She's got a job (FINALLY!!!) but certainly isn't making enough for a place of her own. My son is moving with the ex-wife.

I've got just about all of my gear. I don't have a head lamp or bear canister yet. Maybe another low dollar item here or there but gear is basically covered and not part of the formula. The big three are good to go and have been field tested numerous times. Even clothing is mostly purchased. Some remains untested but the majority is good to go. The kitchen is sorted and works to my liking. I could even dehydrate meals tho I don't think I want the hassle of drop shipping. I might do a week's worth for the start and maybe a week's worth when doing clothing changes at the seasons.

The car is doing its best to die tho I keep bringing it back to life. If it does go belly up, I have a backup car (that also needs work) but is essentially covered. I'm not making any car payments and would like to keep it that way for the near future (thru to the end of whenever the hike happens).

Work is the "biggie". I don't think I'll be able to take a leave of absence. I'm not emotionally attached to the job. I don't like my career much (Quality Assurance Engineer ~ I watch other people work). I like the people and the location isn't too bad. I am attached to the income tho. Quite simply it pays the bills and there's enough left over for some weekend travels.

It's been awhile since I checked on the costs of doing a thru hike. I know it's very much up to the individual but lets assume buying food and a zero day (hostel/hotel) once a week. Last time I looked people were say $3500~$5000 for a thru hike. The problem is I don't remember if that was with or without gear costs. Since it's been a few yrs since I researched that, I'm going to assume that's just trail costs (food/lodging and not gear). And because it's been awhile I''l go with the high end for inflation. That said, I'll need...

6 month * $2200 + ~$200 for the electric bill + $5000 + $100 phone bill. Holy crap!! That's $20k.

Not sure I can do that even with raiding the 401(K). Getting laid off would add $1600 a month in unemployment benefits but that isn't very likely. Selling the house would definitely help. Going back to my apartment at $975 is way more betterer than $2200 a month. Ugh. I don't want to wait until 2017 for a thru hike but it might be the smarter thing to do.

Thx for listening to me ramble out loud. And more so if you have any advice to give.