WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Trail clothing for people who sweat excesively

Hello everyone!

I'm currently training in the Cascades around the Seattle area in preparation for an AT thru hike in 2017. Born and raised in central VA, I am very well accustomed to the heat and humidity of the East coast. Having said that, all my life I have dealt with excessive sweating. I can break a sweat with very minimal effort, and there hasn't been a hike that I've been on that didn't result in my clothing being drenched in sweat after a few hours. This is just something I have learned to deal with/accept, and plan accordingly.

Since I will not have the luxury of packing multiple pairs of extra clothing to change into on the AT, I need to start experimenting with different types of materials to help lessen the problem. Up until this point I've always worn regular cotton/polyester blend shirts, pants, and underwear, and would simply change out whenever they got soaked with sweat. I already know there is no avoiding getting my clothes soaked, so my next best option is something that dries out quickly.

I have been doing my research, Under Armor seems to be my best option and will be the first product I try. I'm really looking for real world experience from people who suffer the same problem of excessive sweating, and how they handled the issue during their thru hike. Can anyone chime in with any advice or product recommendations?

Thanks!!!

Journal Entries

I am paying close attention to this thread, as I too sweat excessively with little to no provocation.
    " Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. "

I just learned about Body Glide, never heard of it before. I use Gold Bond powder daily, and keep a travel size in my pack for day hikes.

Rain gear is also an issue for me. I currently have an Arcteryx hardshell jacket and pants, and they might as well be a garbage bag they smother me so much. Just walking in a rain jacket down the sidewalk breaks me out into a sweat. Again, I've just gotten used to it, but these are going to be big challenges on the trail for me.

Journal Entries

Just a thought. Your thyroid is the bodies thermostat and if it's out of whack, there are a myriad of symptoms and effects it will have on your health.

It's possible that some of you who sweat profusely regardless of weight or conditioning may have a thyroid condition which may be treatable with extremely inexpensive medication. You might ask your primary care physician to get a TSH level check on your next physical.

I was miserable for a while with excessively sore feet and joints along with the sweating. I finally got a doctor to get the blood work done after 5 different doctors. What a difference between before and after!

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Journal Entries
    Images

Lightbulb I share your pain!

I had (have?) your problem, combined with several risk factors for skin cancer. Because I also don't like putting on sunscreen every few hours, this means I simply WON'T go sleeveless in the middle of the day. This meant I had to find a way to avoid a shirt (and me!) covered in stinky sweat, leading to a dirty & wet inside of my sleeping bag.

The solution I (first) found was a polypro (or similar synthetic) undershirt, with a VERY light, long-sleeve, cotton shirt. I then found that this led to the problem of the undershirt stinking to high heaven -- I joked that the U.N. had declared it as a violation of the ban on biological weapons. My subsequent (and present) solution is use an undershirt that's merino wool. They're expensive, but they take about five days before they start to stink.

I wash and rinse my undershirt after I stop for the night near a stream, along with washing myself down, in a portable bucket of water.
    (http://www.collapsiblebucket.com/col...camping-bucket is just one such product)
    After cleaning off my sweat, I then put on my camp shirt, which will get some dirt & sweat before I head for sleep. Just before I get inside my bag, I put on some VERY light shorts and a "use ONLY in the sleeping bag" undershirt. Thus, the inside of my bag never gets much dirt or sweat, and my hiking undershirt gets a lot (if not most) of the sweat removed before I hang it for the night.

More times than not, the undershirt is still wet the next morning. Thus, putting it on can be quite chilling -- but five minutes of hiking always results in the dampness being a help in keeping me cool.

This combo has worked for several hundred miles on The Trail -- I've never gotten sunburn, most of my skin remains the light pink that my dermatologist would approve of, and I don't stink when I get home.

Journal Entries

You have it figured out! You've got to wash up now and then...

The current quest for me is to add Merino to my baselayer inventory and man, that can cost a fortune! I've slowly picked off some really nice Ultralight Merino Tech T's off Amaxinzon and really notice how embedded my stink is in my old polyester workout shirts and stuff. I have been wearing Columbia or Royal Robbins zip off pants for years for everyday wear which are all nylon and they are fast drying but you need to rinse them after you've sweat soaked them or they can be like wearing a suit of sandpaper.

As far as keeping the bag clean, I just got another roomier silk liner which is a Sea To Summit and I find that unless it's roasting hot out, I like having it to keep drafts and bugs off me.

Keeping up with the sun protection pays off. It is no fun to go to the dermatologist to get things burned off. I use a product called Blue Lizard which the dermatologist recommended.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Try a merino wool base layer t-shirt on top. As a second layer, try a very lightweight long sleeved running shirt (I have found some nice light ones made by Asics). This should wick the sweat away from your base layer and evaporate a lot of it (if it is dry weather). Of course when you are putting out effort, you are sweating. You are going to get wet. One way I have found to get dry, is to wear my hiking clothes as long as possible as I am setting up camp. I find my body heat dries my clothes off faster than just air drying them. If you have a sun beam, lay them in that. They will be dry in 15 minutes. If you chafe due to excessive salt from sweating, use body glide. I apply it every morning to my shoulders (where my straps rub), feet, and groin/under carriage. This will last all day at keeping you from chafing. I don't use any powder because I have found it turns into a paste that eventually seems to lead to chafing or blisters. On the bottom, I use Under Armor boxer briefs. I have a separate pair that I only use to sleep in. I try to dry them the best I can overnight by hanging them in my tent or on a clothes line if it is dry. Lastly, while I don't recommend relying on it, a small camp fire can do wonders to dry your stuff if you are careful to keep a close eye on your gear so as not to melt it. Sweating is not a problem as long as you have a full set of dry sleeping clothes you only use to sleep. Being smelly is not a problem. Chafing is a problem. One last point about sweating. If you keep guide pages, etc. in your hip belt pockets, keep your papers in plastic. You would be surprised at how much your sweat goes through your backpack getting the items in your hip belt pockets wet.
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

What everyone said about Merino. It's worth it. Every one of my synth shirts, smells fine after washing. But after 15 minutes of sweating, they reek! Merino doesn't. You can find it on sale. I think it dries as quick as synth stuff. Feels warm even when wet, but also feels fine when it's hot out. I've hike mountains with my shirt about soaked in 90 degree heat and felt OK.
    Body Glide, also a good tip. Often over with the "running" stuff as the marathoners use it a lot. I found a half size stuff of it (looks like solid under arm deodorant). I think I got the smaller stick, at REI.
    For a couple of bucks, get a weird haircut and waste your life away Bryan Adams....
    Hammock hangs are where you go into the woods to meet men you've only known on the internet so you can sit around a campfire to swap sewing tips and recipes. - sargevining on HF

I agree with rhjanes, merino wool is the way to go and I've found it dries out faster than polpro or other synthetics. I also wash off daily before climbing in my sleeping bag inside my hammock. However, I've found that to prevent chafing with my excessive sweating, that I apply some Right Guard to the small of my back every morning before hiking and it helps some with the sweat that can lead to chafing.
    Also, if I begin to feel the least amount of chafing to occur, I immediately begin treatment with baby powder, A&D ointment, etc. But the one thing I started several years ago was going commando with my hiking shorts, so the chafing rarely occurs.
    I used to go with some guys on 2-3 day golfing trips and all of us would experience chafing by the 2nd day. One of my buddies always would splash Mennen Aftershave on his crotch or chafed area after his evening shower and he swore that after the intensive burning subsided, the chafing would be gone by the next morning. Well, after several trips and fighting the chafing problem I gave the Mennen aftershave a try. Let me tell you, it was the most intense burning I've ever experienced in the land down under but it worked! The next morning the chafing was gone and I played some of my best golf! Now, I have not done on the trail, but I bet if I did the next day could be a 30 miler!

Lightweight nylon hiking shorts with built-in liner for warmer weather. Convertible hiking pants with compression boxers (synthetic) in cooler weather. Lightweight synthetic tee shirts, short or long sleeves, depending on temps. I don't worry about the stink. Everyone around me stinks when I hike. Clean-up whenever possible. I always carry body wipes and powder. Signed: Heavy Sweater.

I'm watching for good advice as well. Any women with recommendations? I'm a sweat'er.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

How do you feel about wearing a skirt...comando, decent?

Images

I get soaked at 40d. I use ex officio shirt (long sleeve) and briefs, running shorts, and nike leggings in cold weather. Nothing keeps me dry, so I have a complete change of dry clothes, merino wool ltwt shirt, leggings, wool sleep socks. For me, rain gear is for warmth, not dryness. .

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Diamondlil View Post
    I'm watching for good advice as well. Any women with recommendations? I'm a sweat'er.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    I am just following the men's advice, as I sweat as much, if not more than most men. I do always wear compression or bicycle shorts under my hiking shorts/pants and it does stop the thigh chafing.
    " Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. "

Images

Silk is a nice fabric for hiking. It is easy to clean and dries quickly

Thanks for the replies guys! I ordered a Merino wool shirt today. I'll test it out this weekend on the trail!
    http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...ilpage_o00_s00

I really like the UA Exoficio Boxers with a 6" inseam as underwear. I use a Silk style for late fall, winter and early spring. I have a different pair that is not silk but more of a loose weave Boxer creating a soft mesh for breathability in the summer. I cut out all the inner liners on shorts and hiking pants because they irritated me. As someone mentioned, a Kilt for guys is still an option that I am exploring. My problem is more of sweaty swamp rear than full body sweat. However, if you ordered the Merino wool shirt; you'r set for the upper body. For $20 you can feel cool down under too!
    "gbolt" on the Trail

I am Third

We are here to help one another along life's journey. Keep the Faith!

YouTube Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCik...NPHW7vu3vhRBGA

Quote Originally Posted by DECENT View Post
    Hello everyone!

I'm currently training in the Cascades around the Seattle area in preparation for an AT thru hike in 2017. Born and raised in central VA, I am very well accustomed to the heat and humidity of the East coast. Having said that, all my life I have dealt with excessive sweating. I can break a sweat with very minimal effort, and there hasn't been a hike that I've been on that didn't result in my clothing being drenched in sweat after a few hours. This is just something I have learned to deal with/accept, and plan accordingly.

Since I will not have the luxury of packing multiple pairs of extra clothing to change into on the AT, I need to start experimenting with different types of materials to help lessen the problem. Up until this point I've always worn regular cotton/polyester blend shirts, pants, and underwear, and would simply change out whenever they got soaked with sweat. I already know there is no avoiding getting my clothes soaked, so my next best option is something that dries out quickly.

I have been doing my research, Under Armor seems to be my best option and will be the first product I try. I'm really looking for real world experience from people who suffer the same problem of excessive sweating, and how they handled the issue during their thru hike. Can anyone chime in with any advice or product recommendations?

Thanks!!!

First, even though I was born and largely grew up on the east coast I still sweat excessively in the high heat and humidity of late spring, summer, and very early fall when backpacking and I don't consider myself a heavy sweater. Plenty of experience dealing with drenched from sweat hiking apparel though.

Yes, consider fabrics especially shorts, pants and shirts that dry rapidly.

In the summer heat and humidity of the east I've used a synthetic 100% polyester UA Heat Gear tee that is loose fitting(especially around the shoulders and neckline, not a compression tee!), black in color, and has a more open very breathable generous mesh back/shoulder panel and the same open mesh in wide strips going down each side of the torso from the arm pits down to the waist hem seam. I immensely like the performance of 100% merino Smartwool MICRO WT tees, again loose fitting, for hot humid conditions. They dry extremely fast but in my use they are prone to short life spans. Another tee I've had good success with in high heat and humidity and offering decent durability, wearability, and a lower stink factor is the Patagonia merino LIGHT WT blend tees made of 65% merino and 35% Capilene(a synthetic). Additionally, consider tees that have a deep chest zipper and/or tank tops.

For shorts, IMO, nothing beats the dry times and hiking comfortability of nylon running shorts. I sometimes go commando and at other times have running shorts with a lycra liner. Occasionally, I might wear nylon running short with a built in compression brief f I'm looking to crank out the mileage from the gate or when I might be fatigued late in a really LD hike that has taken it's toll on my body. Look for draw string nylon running shorts so you can adjust the waist size or shorts that have a elastic waistband.

IMHO, it is no luxury or beyond the scope of appareling up for an AT thru to carry up to three shirts possibly being all tees possibly of varying types as I've suggested during the heat and humidity of summer. Keep rotating the shirts as you seek to always keep one shirt dry and clean. The same goes for two pr socks and two shorts. Having some safety pins to attach wet clothing to the outside of your backpack to dry and/or drying clothes atop warmed slabs or large rocks and even wearing damp clothing during summer mornings before it gets too humid(you will be sweating less) can speed apparel dry ties especially if you've opted for lighter wt fabrics to begin with. Find what works FOR YOU.

You didn't mention the details of your hike: start date, direction, etc The Arc teryx rain jacket and pants might be the ticket if you're an early starter. MAYBE, switch to a poncho or packa and even a kilt when conditions seem appropriate.

Consider a backpack for the hottest most humid parts of your AT hike that has a trampoline or breathable ventilated mesh back panel OR that creates some airflow between the backpack and your back.

Consider wearing a drenched bandanna, even a cooling bandanna with embedded polymer water crystals, to keep you cooler.

Lastly, don't just deal with sweat/sweat drenched clothing from the perspective of gear choices alone. As several posters have wisely mentioned there are strategies and techniques to learn and apply to be more comfortable in your apparel.

Good point above about the backpack. I use a newer model Osprey Exos 48. Very light weight and COMFORTABLE with the ventilated back. No sweat running down my butt crack and settling you-know-where.

Images

If you sweat whatever you wear will get wet. It is just that simple. YOU NEED dry cloths to change into. You also need to dry your cloths, that means a fire. I did just that, built a fire and held my **** in front of me everyday to dry it out. Once it warmed up I simply wore it dry. I had a fire every night in the Smoky Mts. to dry out my cloths and it was freezing and snowing, sleeting raining. Socks and shirt were dry every morning. Wool, synthetic anything, it all gets soaked but it will dry out. That is my 2 cent.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++