WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Question Looking for thru hikers.Need reality do's and don't's.

I'm planning a thru hike and really want to know, from thru hikers/ hikers in general ,stuff I'm not reading.

You might want to tell us what you what to know that your not reading?
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Cool

On the WhiteBlaze home page there are countless links to valuable information. Things like the 15 Day Resupply schedule, gear lists, GSMNP rules for thru hikers, towns & places to stay along the trail, mail drop lists, shuttle providers, guide books, maps, etc., etc.
    Read all of that. Follow the links. Take good notes. If you still have questions, search the various forums at WhiteBlaze for answers to your questions. Every question that anyone could have has been asked and answered many times.
    Which direction do you plan to travel? NOBO and hike home? Or SOBO and get home the best way you can? What is your start date? That matters for gear selection, number of people on the trail that you'll be hiking with. Example: there are posts here from people who count the number of NOBO starters evry day in Georgia. It can run into several dozen/day in late March & early April. Far fewer people start SOBO at Baxter State Park.
    Do your homework. Self-directed independent study will give you a greater sense of accomplishment that expecting others to give you information.
    Good luck!

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Looking for thru hikers.Need reality do's and don't's.

Do: Be prepared. Start slow and build up your trail conditioning gradually.
    Don't: Give up too early.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."

Quote Originally Posted by rayray37 View Post
    I'm planning a thru hike and really want to know, from thru hikers/ hikers in general ,stuff I'm not reading.
    You've read it. The problem is that reading it and living it are two completely different things. Hiking is boring for the most part followed by fleeting moments of extreme pleasure.

Here is The real Deal...Trail Journals by AT Thru-Hikers.
    Current hikers...
    http://www.trailjournals.com/journal...ian_Trail/2015
    Trail Journals when early starters encountered a strong storm in late March...
    http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=401332

Have fun!

Wayne

Come to the ALDHA Gathering in Shippensburg PA over Columbus Day weekend. Lots of thruhikers, past present and future. Workshops on the AT and other trails. You'll get all your questions answered.

Garlic
    Images

For every ten AT hikers, there are eleven reasons to hike. But personally, I couldn't imagine taking a months long hike without really enjoying the simple pleasure of just walking.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

DO NOT SET YOUR TENT UP IN THE DARN SHELTERS!!!!!!! THERE ARE TENT SITES FOR THAT AT MOST SHELTERS AND THE AWOL GUIDE WILL POINT THAT OUT!!!!!!! DON'T BE THAT HIKER!!!!
    I can't tell you how many times some Hoser had their bloody tent set up in the shelter when I arrived over the years and on thru's. I got into a rather heated discussion w/a section hiker from NYC when I strolled into the Alec Kennedy shelter @ 8pm and his tent is up and he's snoring already. Luckily two other SOBO's were on my 6 to back me up. The misinformed section hiker learned something that day and hope he remembers the next time he is on the AT. Guy had a bad "city attitude"!!!
    Thank you and good luck!!!
    "I choose to carry very little, but that little is chosen with care." Earl V. Shaffer

Read trail journals and go out and hike yourself with some shake down hikes. Learn it by doing it and correcting your mistakes. Start with the lightest weight you can, and get lighter still. And get your head right for being alone, being challenged when you are very tired, being wet when you'd rather be dry, cold and miserable when you want to quit, and thrilled when you least expect it.

Well, if I write it down you'd have to read it? I'll sen you a audio tape.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by AngryGerman View Post
    DO NOT SET YOUR TENT UP IN THE DARN SHELTERS!!!!!!! THERE ARE TENT SITES FOR THAT AT MOST SHELTERS AND THE AWOL GUIDE WILL POINT THAT OUT!!!!!!! DON'T BE THAT HIKER!!!!
    I can't tell you how many times some Hoser had their bloody tent set up in the shelter when I arrived over the years and on thru's. I got into a rather heated discussion w/a section hiker from NYC when I strolled into the Alec Kennedy shelter @ 8pm and his tent is up and he's snoring already. Luckily two other SOBO's were on my 6 to back me up. The misinformed section hiker learned something that day and hope he remembers the next time he is on the AT. Guy had a bad "city attitude"!!!
    Thank you and good luck!!!
    First come first served.
    So a tent takes 52" wide instead of a 36" tyvek sheet
    So what
    Seen plenty of times where 3 or 4 hikers take up 6 spot shelters completely with their crap

Avoid shelters is easy solution.

Ive seen half dozen tents pitched in overmountain shelter at same time. All thruhikers.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 05-11-2016 at 13:41.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    First come first served.
    So a tent takes 52" wide instead of a 36" tyvek sheet
    So what
    Seen plenty of times where 3 or 4 hikers take up 6 spot shelters completely with their crap

Avoid shelters is easy solution.

Ive seen half dozen tents pitched in overmountain shelter at same time. All thruhikers.
    YEA plus 1 on that I put my tent where I want when I want and mine is a mere 40 inch at it's widest So chill out there Broome County.

++ New Posts ++