WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

:banana Anyone using Dirty Girl Gaiters? Love em'!!!

Hey guys, wanted to throw this video up here of a review I did on Dirty Girl Gaiters. I ended up switching to them halfway through my hike this year & absolutely fell in love with them! Super light, Durable, crazy fun patterns, & best of all they are made right here in the USA! Let me know what you think!

<strong>https://youtu.be/h3GgbkP2ImM

Check out my other Videos on YouTube & Subscribe to my Channel!

Happy Trail,
    Darwin

I use Dirty Girl gaiters a lot, and I like them. I hate getting crap in my shoes and socks. That being said, both pairs of mine are pretty badly shredded because, they are light and simple, BUT, they are NOT durable in any kind off-trail brushy or rocky situation. If I could bring myself to stay on the trail all they time, they'd probably last many seasons. As it is, I would like to find a similar, but slightly more durable gaiter. Sadly, all the alternative ultra-light gators I've tried and/or owned don't fit and work as well.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

Images

+++ use every day.....

Section Hiker

Yep, love mine. Even my grumpy kid admits his were great. Have done a couple day hikes without them and regretted it...

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

Images

Same here...recently purchased my first pair and love them. Simple and effective, not to mention very reasonably priced. I agree with nsherry61 that they might not be the most durable piece of gear I own but even if they only last a couple years it won't hurt your wallet too much to get a new pair.
    Section hiker on the 20 year plan - 2,078 miles and counting!

Images

I use a gaiter similar to Dirty Girl from another manufacturer and I like them. But not much choice on size nor color so I will probably choose Dirty Girl next time I need to purchase a new set.
    Remote for detachment, narrow for chosen company, winding for leisure, lonely for contemplation, the Trail beckons not merely north and south, but upward to the body, mind, and soul of man.

Images

I don't use gaiters except in winter. However, treating shoes plus DG gaiters with permethrin might help a lot with ticks/Lyme. I got some REI insect shield gaiters for this, but they're too inconvenient to bother with. I think I would use something like the Dirty Girl gaiters more often.

I love my Dirty Girls.

Adds a little panache to the traditional mundane trail outfit.

Images

yep pretty cool choices

Images

Quote Originally Posted by WILLIAM HAYES View Post
    yep pretty cool choices
    Actually, I found the choices very limiting when I looked into getting some, ... PLUS I could never get them to respond when I posted queries on their "contact us" form. Not good customer relations at all.

If you love Jackson Pollock, you will like their "choices." If you want a solid color such as blaze orange, FAIL.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Great for JMT but got shredded quickly, so did my lasportiva wildcats...never had a need for them on the southern AT....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you wear boots they might not fit.

Journal Entries

My solid black dirty girls have held up fine.

Dont leave home without them. Seeing many wearing them nowadays on AT, even though dont need there so much.

Even though i purchased my black ones from her years ago, at the time you had to know to click on a "I do not sell black" icon to order them.

She has 6 solid colors now on her much improved website.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 10-11-2015 at 05:14.

Read many good reports so thought I'd 5 them.

Found they don't ship outside the US, after a bit searching I found a shop in the UK that sold them, so ordered a pair.

Tried them over several hikes and runs and found them to be absolutely pointless.

They're not tall enough to stop gravel and stones getting into the shoe, they make my nice breathable shoe sweaty, they soak quickly and hold onto any moisture so my quick drying shoe becomes a sweaty wet block.

They're not waterproof and they don't stop stones gravel, so figured folks like them as some sort of fashion accessory.

Each to their own, but I wouldn't buy them under the illusion they actually do anything except making you shoe breath less

Quote Originally Posted by cbr6fs View Post
    Tried them over several hikes and runs and found them to be absolutely pointless.

They're not tall enough to stop gravel and stones getting into the shoe,
    You know they don't go around your thighs, right?
    Awwww. Fat Mike, too?

Read many good reports so thought I'd 5 them.

Found they don't ship outside the US, after a bit searching I found a shop in the UK that sold them, so ordered a pair.

They're not tall enough to stop gravel and stones getting into the shoe, they make my nice breathable shoe sweaty, they soak quickly and hold onto any moisture so my quick drying shoe becomes a sweaty wet block.

They're not waterproof and they don't stop stones gravel, so figured folks like them as some sort of fashion accessory.

Each to their own, but I wouldn't buy them under the illusion they actually do anything except making you shoe breath less
    Not sure how any gravel would get passed unless incorrect size?

Journal Entries

Well, they arent meant to stop water obviously, though a few have expected that. Just cut somewhat down on dirt and small rocks and twigs that lodge in the rim of shoe and work their way down requiring you to stop and dig them out. Primarily designed for desert/mountain ultra running in arid environment.

I find they keep the bb size pebbles out great personally, provide a little ankle protection. But again, largely not needed on moist AT soil IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    Not sure how any gravel would get passed unless incorrect size?

When the foot/ankle is moving it creates gaps between the foot and the gaiters, this gap is large enough to allow gravel to get into the shoe.

If they were higher this would prevent this but then they would be more of a gaiter.

As i say if they don't prevent gravel or small stones getting into your shoe then what's the point?

I can understand that folks would buy them as some sort of fashion accessory, their choice.
    But i think it should be made clear that they offer absolutely no functional purpose except making your running shoe less breathable and to stay damper longer if it gets wet.

I use them every now and again for trail running. I really like them with shoes that have gaiter attachments like the Altra Lone Peak 2.5. The velcro is already built into the shoe!

When the foot/ankle is moving it creates gaps between the foot and the gaiters,
    You need a smaller size.
    Awwww. Fat Mike, too?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++