WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Clearly she was fond of that kayak...
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    Agreed. Seriously, were there no rocks around? At one point, she said, "what am I going to do now?" I took that to mean she was alone, and very much needed the kayak to get where she was going. If that's true, why on earth wouldn't she figure out something effective to do? Whining, whining, whining - ugh!

Wooden walkway on ground leading to water
    Moored boats in the cove
    Used fire ring in ground
    Unnatural pile of dirt/rubble

She wasnt exactly in the wilderness
    Possibly a back yard.

Sounds like a teenager to me.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 10-02-2015 at 21:49.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

This cameraman seems much calmer...

Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

Well at least she got it all on tape! Screechy voice should have annoyed to bear enough that he would have left, but apparently not! A BB gun would have gotten him out of there a lot easier than screaming at him.

I had to stop watching when I hurt myself laughing.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

Maybe the bear just didn't understand English. Maybe she should have asked politely in different languages. Because clearly bears know what humans are saying, and clearly they know what the word "Please" and "Thank you" mean. Ridiculous.

Ridiculous is more the apparent "Goldilocks Zone" when women yell at a bear. The last woman/bear video that was posted here was met with criticism the woman didn't yell enough, this one the woman is accused of yelling too much. Where is that balance point?

To my view, she did about all she could do in that instance. Best advice is to make yourself known, appear larger than you are, and make noise. She did that, using english as a means to that end. Presumably Mandarin or Laplandish may have worked better, someone sharing their experience using these languages can weigh in on that. Throwing rocks or sticks at bears has been known to trigger an attack, given this bear was obviously used to people, it probably was not the best option. There is a distance of only about 50 feet or so between the bear and the camera, thats about 5 to 7 seconds to start and complete its attack should it choose to, with a high likelihood of a maiming or lethal injury.

Beyond clenching a knife in ones teeth and running down the bear Tarzan style, I don't see a lot of options for a 100 pound woman or 200 pound man for that matter versus a 200 pound bear besides trying to discourage it by voice. The voice may have been annoying to some, but to me the fact the bear remained unfazed by human presence is concerning in what appears to be a well groomed lakeside area that likely has children around.

Obviously we need to start hanging our kayaks, except for the diehards who insist on sleeping with theirs in the tent.

Journal Entries

The bear gets to have nightmares all winter long of that encounter, he will likely be very grumpy in the spring.
    "You have brains in your head/You have feet in your shoes/You can steer yourself in any direction you choose." - Dr. Seuss

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++