WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Katahdin Quiz

Thumbs up Katahdin Quiz

From the Baxter Park website:

http://tinyurl.com/79rbv

T"Perfect Score"J
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

11/15 right for me!
    Don't forget the songs that made you smile and the songs that made you cry, when you lay in awe on your bedroom floor and said, "Oh, oh, smother me, Mother!"

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

14/15. missed the one about signing in at the TH.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Images

Thumbs up

14/15. Seeing as I'm a Cracker with no hiking experience north of Virginia I'm going to award myself one "Yee Hah!" point and match you, T"Perfect Score"J

All kidding around aside, I think that's a great teaching tool and reflects well on BSP management that they chose to make it available.
    Me no care, me here free beer. Tap keg, please?

Journal Entries
    Images

Spoiler Alert. Don't read the rest of this post if you will be taking the quiz.

Answer 7 does not have a correct answer.

Explaining to a child under six that he should never be above tree line in Baxter State Park could leave the youngster with the impression that this is because of safety reasons, and might damage his ego.

While it might be OK to say that children under 6 are not allowed up there because of "the rules", you should add that you heard on Whiteblaze that the legendary Weary took his 5 year old up to the top, many, many, times. Heard the story many times, that is. I don't know how many times they summited together at that age. In relating this story you should make sure he knows that the "authorities" tend to place limits on freedoms rather than looking out for one's welfare. This will prepare him for the Young Republicans quiz in a few years.

Perhaps even more important:

The question regarding the moose gives the wrong answer. If a moose sidles up to you and starts licking your body, it is most decidedly recommended that you not bend over for any reason. To the novice hiker, I simply can not stress this enough. I am not so sure why TJ answered that is the correct thing to do.
    Last edited by rickb; 12-02-2005 at 10:25.

Journal Entries

Rick raises some good points. I found similar ambiguities. But I ignored them and thus scored 100 percent. I did have to ponder several of the answers rather carefully to make sure I provided Baxter Park answers, rather than necessarily my answers.

Unlike most such quizzes, this one did require a bit of thought. Which makes it valuable.

Peakbagger Extraordinaire The Solemates's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by weary
    I did have to ponder several of the answers rather carefully to make sure I provided Baxter Park answers, rather than necessarily my answers.
    as did i...but thats all part of taking any test, no matter the subject area. it cannot always be completely objective.
    The only thing better than mountains, is mountains where you haven't been.

amongnature.blogspot.com

Images

Quote Originally Posted by rickboudrie
    [B] . . .The question regarding the moose gives the wrong answer. If a moose sidles up to you and starts licking your body, it is most decidedly recommended that you not bend over for any reason. To the novice hiker, I simply can not stress this enough. . .
    OK, I'll bite. Why shouldn't you bend over? I'm not going to ignore the advice, but I'd really like to know the reason.

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

14/15...I didn't know about the sign-in procedures (#11).
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

LT '79; AT '73-'14 in sections; Donating Member Kerosene's Avatar
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Two Speed
    OK, I'll bite. Why shouldn't you bend over? I'm not going to ignore the advice, but I'd really like to know the reason.
    This is really only a problem if it's a bull moose. Now do you get it?
    GA←↕→ME: 1973 to 2014

Images

OH, MY GOD!

Katahdin is overrated. I much more enjoy Nesuntabunt Mtn. and White Cap. And did I mention Avery Peak?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf
    Katahdin is overrated. I much more enjoy Nesuntabunt Mtn. and White Cap. And did I mention Avery Peak?
    Maine mountains aren't very high, but they are about the wildest mountains in the east. Our Maine Appalachian Trail Land Trust is struggling to keep them wild. Nesuntabunt and Avery Peak are partially protected by being located in Maine Public Land Preserves.

Only a narow corridor separates Whitecap from an abutting forest liquidator and likely developer.

Weary www.matlt.org

I just submitted a donation to the MATLT. I want the lesser mountains protected.

Eeek! If you get too low a score do you have to go back and rehike Katahdin?

14/15. missed the one about signing in at the TH. And about the moose is it rut that could make a difference...

Journal Entries
    Images

I'm not bending over in front of a moose which is licking me to pick up some dropped granola no mater what.

Bull moose or cow.

At least not up in Maine.

If you re-read the question, they are not asking you to bend over in front of a moose. They were just combining two circumstances in one question as well as the answer. Though I will agree it is a poorly written question.

The key word here being "Later" as in, not at the same time. It doesn't say an hour later or a mile later but I think it is implied all this isn't happening at once.

#14 "Wild life abounds in the Park. During your hike a chipmunk scurries around as you stop for a quick snack. While tossing a handful of granola in your mouth, you spill some on the trail. Later, a moose approaches you and starts licking the salt off your sweaty arm. What do you do?"
    "That's just like...your opinion, man." - The Dude

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by L. Wolf
    I just submitted a donation to the MATLT. I want the lesser mountains protected.
    Many thanks L. Wolf. You've joined my list of trail heroes. Great things truly are possible in Maine. All we need is more people like you who will put their money where their heart is.

Weary www.matlt.org

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bjorkin
    . . . The key word here being "Later" as in, not at the same time. It doesn't say an hour later or a mile later but I think it is implied all this isn't happening at once. . .
    Whew, that's a relief. After what Kerosene said I thought I was being set up for a threesome or something.

Bjorkin, I'm told that I have a somewhat strange sense of humor.

Yeah, some of the "correct" answers had a political spin, but at least BSP is trying to educate instead of spending all of their energy busting hikers. My perspective is if one is capable of parsing one's way through a test question to the "correct" answer then one is probably better equipped to answer real life questions. Of course, you don't know that you're completely prepared for a real life question until Mother Nature administers the test; academic tests are good, but real life is where the rubber hits the road.

Short version: despite the flaws, I still think the quiz is a great learning tool

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++