WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Swelling Hands

Default Swelling Hands

I have taken a four year hiatus from backpacking (due to family problems). I just started day hiking. I am putting in the miles as much as I can locally, but I'm having a problem. My hands swell up when hiking. I didn't have this problem four years ago, but it is happening every hike now (I'm 45...maybe it's just "old age"?). Any thoughts on how I can prevent this?

This is one of the reasons I use trekking poles. The constant arm pumping motion keeps the swelling in my hands down.

second the poles! When I hike without the hiking poles within a mile my hands swell.

Have experienced this while hiking in hot weather. It's all part of the body trying to cool itself by expanding blood capillary action near the skin, your hands and feet are furthest from the heart, tend to swell when blood is pushed away from the core to the skin to attempt cooling. Try drinking more fluids, stay better hydrated.

Another vote for trekking poles. Both my wife and I have this happen. Poles make it disappear for us.

Hmmm, I never had a problem with swelling hands until I used trekking poles. I can't remember where I was, it was definitely early on the trail but it did go away after a few days.

could you be swinging your mostly straight arms? the pushes blood towards the hands. have a 90 degree bend at the elbow helps reduce this effect. Having the trekking poles keeps your arms in the 90 degree range better than walking without them.

Could you be drinking too much water? That is another possibility with swollen hands if you drink more than you sweat.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

This is a well known phisiological phenomenon. I don't know for sure what the cause is, but I suspect the cause has something to do with the natural swinging of your arms combined with gravity simple pushing fluids toward the end of your hands.

I've been walking my neighborhood this year for excersize. It happens to me every evening while walking the road with nothing in my hands.

By contrast, I can hike much longer in the woods using a single walking stick that I alternate hands using. I never get swollen hands in the woods.

The swelling I get in the neighborhood seems to be unaffected by how little or how much I drink while or before hiking.

I believe trekking poles or a hiking stick help because you both squeeze the pole with your hand AND lift your hand up compared to them simply swinging free.

I don't know for sure, but I suspect that just squeezing something in your hands while you walk (squish ball or a pair of tennis balls) would improve the swelling... but hiking/trekking pole should definitely improve it.

Quote Originally Posted by SkeeterPee View Post
    could you be swinging your mostly straight arms? the pushes blood towards the hands. have a 90 degree bend at the elbow helps reduce this effect. Having the trekking poles keeps your arms in the 90 degree range better than walking without them.

Could you be drinking too much water? That is another possibility with swollen hands if you drink more than you sweat.
    I saw recently a post somewhere recently (have no idea where, sorry) but a guy rigged two straps that hung down from his pack shoulder straps. He would hook his thumbs through the loops at the ends of the straps and this would keep his hands elevated when walking. From the picture it looked like his hands were in about the same position they would be if using trekking poles.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    I saw recently a post somewhere recently (have no idea where, sorry) but a guy rigged two straps that hung down from his pack shoulder straps. He would hook his thumbs through the loops at the ends of the straps and this would keep his hands elevated when walking. From the picture it looked like his hands were in about the same position they would be if using trekking poles.
    I sometimes walk the neighborhood with an old external frame pack. I've been able to improve the swelling by holding on to the top cross bar for a while.

I found this happening to me when I hit 50 or so. To alleviate it some while on the trails I would stretch my arms over my head and make a fist and then release back to an open palm. I repeat making the fist maybe 5 -10 times. the swelling would go down pretty fast. If you catch it early enough, just making the fist and release a few times without raising over your head would stop it also. I haven't used trekking poles here in Florida yet, but I can relate to the prior post as it get your hands squeezing and your arms pumping a bit as you walk.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    ULA sells these with their backpacks, and I imagine that they would also sell them separately.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by C-Stepper View Post
    I have taken a four year hiatus from backpacking (due to family problems). I just started day hiking. I am putting in the miles as much as I can locally, but I'm having a problem. My hands swell up when hiking. I didn't have this problem four years ago, but it is happening every hike now (I'm 45...maybe it's just "old age"?). Any thoughts on how I can prevent this?
    45 isn't old age, trust me.

This happens to me as well when I walk for exercise on non-challenging terrain. My hands will swell, usually in warmer weather, when I do not have a pack to hook my thumbs in the straps keeping my hands above the elbows or have poles that keep my forearms at 90* to my body.

I have to admit I liked the old age at 45 reference. The creaks and rattles that are on their way for your enjoyment will provide endless hours of entertainment, so enjoy the portal of old age and the new normal!

Images

Same here but using hiking poles worked for me. people stare when you hike along pumping your arms and fist up into the air. like a Rocky movie retake

Quote Originally Posted by LIhikers View Post
    45 isn't old age, trust me.
    That's for sure...

"To make an end is to make a beginning. The end is where we start from." - T.S. Eliot

endless hours of entertainment

Endless is right! Aches and pains that used to disappear overnight will stay with you for days and days. THey give you lots to talk about over the early bird dinner.
    "It goes to show you never can tell." - Charles Edward Anderson Berry

It is interesting that so many of you recommend trekking poles. No one uses them in my area. I have used them in the backcountry but not on these relatively short day hikes. I use them in the mountains to help my knees out on the downhills, but my local trails are not hilly. Maybe I should rethink this strategy. Thanks to all for the help!

Images

... (I'm 45...maybe it's just "old age"?).
    ROTFLMAO!!!

Any thoughts on how I can prevent this?
    Many have mentioned poles. I agree. But I don't think anyone has mentioned the effect of shoulder straps, which can restrict arteries running down the insidse of your upper arms, if the sternum strap isn't used or tight enough.

Rain Man
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Yep, it's basically the pooling of blood in the hands although dehydration can also cause it. Trek poles will fix it for you.

Ryan

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++