WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Images

Default Headlamp with red light

I remember some company made a backpacking headlamp that had a red lense or red light. Anyone know what model this was?

Thanks.
    SGT Rock
    http://hikinghq.net

My 2008 Trail Journal of the BMT/AT

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide
    -----------------------------------------

NO SNIVELING

SGT. I got an Eveready headlamp at the Home Depot with two white leds and a red led for $12.95 that works great. I only drawback is it has a sliding switch that can turn itself on if not stored properly. Runs on 3 AAA's.

Quote Originally Posted by Sly
    SGT. I got an Eveready headlamp at the Home Depot with two white leds and a red led for $12.95 that works great. I only drawback is it has a sliding switch that can turn itself on if not stored properly. Runs on 3 AAA's.
    I'm not too keen on this light because the clear plastic lens housing reflects stray light all over the place.

Another possibility is the Pelican L1, red led version. Waterproof, breakway lanyard so you can hang it around your neck, very rugged.

Doug Frost

Rock, others have mentioned it, but here's a link:

http://www.petzl.com/petzl/LampesPro...roduitAssocie=

Petzl TACTIKKA PLUS

Alternates easily between white and red light simply by moving the pivoting filter over the LEDs.
    Sounds like exactly what you're asking for. $45 on rei. $42 on ebay buy it now including shipping.

Good luck!
    Sardis Thru-Hiker Club - A 6.73 miler.

A Special Breed of Crazy FFTorched's Avatar
    Images

:banana Petzl Lamp

I have this Headlamp and love it. I use it for Hunting, Fishing, Hiking, Drinking, and a slew of over activities. It's still on it's origional batteries and it's nearly a year old, though I keep it in heavy rotation with my black diamond headlamp. Backcountry.com has it for $45.

http://www.backcountry.com/store/PTZ...ml?id=aKxFKPxc
    " It's a fool's life, a rogue's life, and a good life if you keep laughing all the way to the grave." -- Edward Abbey

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MisterSweetie
    Rock, others have mentioned it, but here's a link:

http://www.petzl.com/petzl/LampesPro...roduitAssocie=

Petzl TACTIKKA PLUS

Sounds like exactly what you're asking for. $45 on rei. $42 on ebay buy it now including shipping.

Good luck!

Tactikka Plus is also at Brigade Quartermasters website for 39.99. Drawback is it may use a nonstandard battery? (Uses 3 round AAA-LR3 batteries supplied with product)

Rock, I live about four miles from Brigade Quartermasters' main office in Kennesaw, GA. They offer special pricing for military personnel, but you have to register at http://www.actiongear.com/cgi-bin/ta...sional/mp2.tam to get it.

Take Care,

Tim

Geezer

Quote Originally Posted by Sly
    I have a Wal-mart lite, also with 2 white and 1 red LEDs, I think for $12.77

The switch does the same thing to me (turns itself on in my pack). I use a tiny square of duct tape to keep it from moving.

I used the red light only once, in hte Ironmasters Hostel when I left about 3:00 am and didn't want to wake anyone. I didn't wake anyone up, but evidently I didn't see my gloves and left them behind, probably under the bunk.
    Frosty

1700 down, 460 to go...
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Frosty
    I have a Wal-mart lite, also with 2 white and 1 red LEDs, I think for $12.77

The switch does the same thing to me (turns itself on in my pack). I use a tiny square of duct tape to keep it from moving.

I think I have that same light. Walmart special. The lense housing (where the switch is mounted on top) pivots, so after I noticed it getting turned on in my pack, I started stowing it pivoted so that the switch was facing the battery pack. (Ie, if I'd been wearing it and turned it on, the light would point straight up.) Once I started packing it this way I had no more accidental switch-ons.

This is not a particularly well-manufactured light; the first one I got went bad (one of the white LEDs died, probably from vibration or moisture killing its contact), but Walmart replaced it with a new one. It's bright, but obviously not as bright as a three- or four-LED headlight. It does have a battery-life advantage though: you're only burning one or two LEDs at a time, so batteries last longer than the three- or four-LED models I've seen.

I colored over the clear lense in my headlamp with a red sharpie. Now It shines red. Wears off after a while, so I just clean it off with denatured alcohol and color it again.

Quote Originally Posted by SGT Rock
    I remember some company made a backpacking headlamp that had a red lense or red light. Anyone know what model this was?

Thanks.
    Sarge:

I have one I can try and dig out and send to you. I found it on the trail in 2000 and use it rarely. It's an elastic strap headband with a place to slip in the small cigar shaped light. I don''t know what it weighs, but its pretty light. PM me your address and I'll drop it in the mail.

Just don't try and read the AT trail maps at night with the light. The trail "magically disappears with the red light. Took me a few minutes to figure that one out. Doh!
    'All my lies are always wishes" ~Jeff Tweedy~

GA-VA 2005, VA-CT 2007, CT-ME ??
    Images

Petzl Tactikka models have a changeable red lense.
    -Mark

Thanks.
    Is this for your trip east? Maybe if you could tell us what you need it for, someone might have a suggestion. Not that you need any suggestions from any civilians or less experienced military types.

Thanks.
    Is this for your trip east? Maybe if you could tell us how it will be used, someone might have a suggestion or alternative. Not that you need any suggestions from any civilians or less experienced military types. ...Oops, somehow I missed Whistler's post....

Images

This is so I can read in a tactical enviroment if I need to and then switch to having white light sometimes. Riding a house sometimes makes a headlamp a good idea
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Riding a house sometimes makes a headlamp a good idea
    Pardon this civilian's ignorance, but what is "riding a house"? I was thinking it was a type and you meant "horse", but we don't really use horses in Iraq or do we? Oh, "raiding" a house??

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tin Man
    Pardon this civilian's ignorance, but what is "riding a house"? I was thinking it was a type and you meant "horse", but we don't really use horses in Iraq or do we? Oh, "raiding" a house??
    I meant Raiding a house. Sorry about that
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

I meant Raiding a house. Sorry about that
    Well, if you ever decide to raid my house because of any of my blathering here, don't bother with the headlamp, I will leave the light on.

Images

I come in at about 0200. I normally just shoot your door off the hinges, but in your case I'll knock
    SGT Rock

BMT Thru-Hikers' Guide

NO SNIVELING

Default Night Vision - The Red Myth

This is so I can read in a tactical enviroment if I need to and then switch to having white light sometimes. Riding a house sometimes makes a headlamp a good idea
    Here's a interesting article that deals with red flashlights and their effectiveness at maintaining night vision.

See link:
    http://www.stlplaces.com/night_vision.html

Red is used Tacticly for it's Light scatering properties not to retain night vision...

The US Military is now transitioning to BLUE btw.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++