WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Shuttle questions

Hi All - as i posted below - we are getting ready for our trip next week and am close to finalizing plans - heavily leaning towards doing the Approach trail to Woody Gap - wanted to stay at Hiker Hostel the first night so we can get a shuttle and a good start in the morning, but they are booked.....as a result, will likely just sleep somewhere at AFSP near the shelter .....question, should I lock in with a shuttle driver now, or are they typically very flexible so that we can book something early next week for a Wed. night pick up?

Also, on another post, I had one recommendation for Ron Brown as a shuttle provider....does anyone else have a suggestion/opinion for shuttle drivers in that area?

Thoughts on general cost range for 2 people to go from Woody Gap to AFSP Approach Trail?

$80
    Wes Wissen

(706) 747-2671

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

Check ATC website for shuttlers, and call mountain crossings. That will give you about a dozen choices.

Have you considered the amicalola lodge?

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Check ATC website for shuttlers, and call mountain crossings. That will give you about a dozen choices.

Have you considered the amicalola lodge?
    Good thought, but $263 a night is too steep for me when I know I will be in the woods for free for the next 3 nights....

Quote Originally Posted by sideshow11 View Post
    Good thought, but $263 a night is too steep for me when I know I will be in the woods for free for the next 3 nights....
    It is Gold Rush in Dahlonega. No surprise that Hiker Hostel is booked and Amicalola has stupid rates. Both Ron Brown and Wes Wissen are good choices in the area.

Section Hiker

I've heard all good things about both Ron and Wes, but have high kudos for Joyce & Sally for all my shuttles in GA and into NC: (706) 896-9339. Have a great hike!

"Your comfort zone is a beautiful place, but nothing ever grows there.
    "

This time of year is crazy on that part of the trail. If you haven't booked a shuttler yet, you may have a problem finding one unless you are very flexible about when you need them.

I have used joyce, and things went very smoothly. Lots.of good local info. Wouldn't hesitate to recommend her.

Thanks all....I called Ron Brown and he was really nice....we talked for 15 minutes about my plan before he realized that he had another booking at that same time and couldn't accommodate me....but he referred me to Wes Wisson who had several good recommendations here as well.....I talked with Wes and we are set for next week....we are going to skip the approach (based on Ron Brown's recommendation largely driven by the fact that I am hiking with my 12 year old son and don't want to wear him out before we start) and do Springer to Neal Gap.....can't wait!! Thanks to all for your input here....I have put Joyce&Sally into my contacts as well in case we need them.....cheers!

Quote Originally Posted by sideshow11 View Post
    Thanks all....I called Ron Brown and he was really nice....we talked for 15 minutes about my plan before he realized that he had another booking at that same time and couldn't accommodate me....but he referred me to Wes Wisson who had several good recommendations here as well.....I talked with Wes and we are set for next week....we are going to skip the approach (based on Ron Brown's recommendation largely driven by the fact that I am hiking with my 12 year old son and don't want to wear him out before we start) and do Springer to Neal Gap.....can't wait!! Thanks to all for your input here....I have put Joyce&Sally into my contacts as well in case we need them.....cheers!
    Good call...springer to neels is challenging enough for a 12 yr old...Wes is a nice guy...used him years ago on same section.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

++ New Posts ++