WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Holes from decayed vegetative matter, erosion between rocks and/or roots, then get covered with twigs, small branches, and leaves etc., much the same way crevasses get covered with snow bridges. General terrain? It's the deep Maine woods. It's mountainous forest with very few road crossings. Some of the most remote terrain east of the Mississippi.
    Indeed true, I would say perhaps the most dangerous terrain in the eastern US overall.

Quote Originally Posted by donthaveoneyet View Post
    Looks very close to Reddington Pond, or am I reading it wrong?
    I think the Wardens were saying the remains were found about 100 to 300 yards from Reddington Pond, but I'm not sure. I could hear the answers, but for some reason they didn't put a mic to pick up people asking the questions.

Journal Entries

an experienced backpacker simply off trail with shelter and gear can live for long time. With phone?

More to it. She didnt just get lost. No matter what wardens say.

Quote Originally Posted by AT Traveler View Post
    I think the Wardens were saying the remains were found about 100 to 300 yards from Reddington Pond, but I'm not sure. I could hear the answers, but for some reason they didn't put a mic to pick up people asking the questions.
    I thought he said the remains were found 3000' feet from the AT then later he started talking about 100 yards and could't understand what he was talking about.

Huh? There could be any number of reasons she became lost or disoriented. A sudden medical condition like a stroke would be a logical explanation. Certainly far more likely than foul play.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Redrowen View Post
    I thought he said the remains were found 3000' feet from the AT then later he started talking about 100 yards and could't understand what he was talking about.
    100 yards past the border of the SERE property, which was why NCIS was brought in, as the remains were technically on the US Navy property.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

The 100 yards was in reference to where her remains were found on the SERE property. She was 100 yards into their property.

Quote Originally Posted by Tundra View Post
    The 100 yards was in reference to where her remains were found on the SERE property. She was 100 yards into their property.
    Thanks, I couldn't make out what he was saying, I knew the remains were found on government property.

Quote Originally Posted by Redrowen View Post
    At their closest points, Redington Pond is about 2,000 feet from the AT. The other end of the pond would be about 3,000 feet. So I guess 100 yards from the pond could be very close to the trail, or could be in another direction from the pond.... At least that's my read of it, just from the maps.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    an experienced backpacker simply off trail with shelter and gear can live for long time. With phone?

The Wardens aren't speculating how she ended up where she did. There is no evidence of foul play at this point apparently the ME will be able to answer that. But a lot of things can cause disorientation. Dehydration from a stomach bug or other illnesses, medication issues, small stroke, fell or walked into a branch and was dazed, heart problem, left the trail to relieve herself and took a wrong turn, all kinds of things could happen that could lead to that. We may never know what happened if the ME report comes back as natural causes.

Images

Like many of us, she wasn't exactly a young pup. She was what, 66 years old? People, even experienced ones, and even healthy ones, sometimes just have heart attacks, strokes, etc, and just up and die. Experienced hikers wander off trail and get lost. I don't know the exact area, but cell phone coverage is typically really bad in northern New England. A medical condition could have led to disorientation. People are often asymptomatic and have undiagnosed health problems. In the civilized world, people who would otherwise die get prompt medical attention and often live. But death happens every day regardless of location. You're alive, you're alive, you're alive - you're dead. We are all just one heartbeat away. The greatest cause of death is birth.
    Last edited by 4eyedbuzzard; 10-16-2015 at 14:08.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Images

Huh? There could be any number of reasons she became lost or disoriented. A sudden medical condition like a stroke would be a logical explanation. Certainly far more likely than foul play.

that is correct.....

in fact, earlier this month a lady got lost in the shining rock wilderness in NC.......

she was literally feet off the trail.....

but, she was injured and could not get back up to trail......

apparently she leaned against a tree, the tree fell, and she fell with it injuring herself to the point of not being able to get up..........

Images

These silly conspiracy theorists are an embarrassment.
    Everything is in Walking Distance

Starfly so your very recent search found bones that were not related to this discovery?

Journal Entries

I believe a health event could occur.

what I don't believe is a healthy person walked 3000 feet from the trail sat down and said I'm going to die here while people were actively looking for her

it's a given that there's more to the story
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 10-16-2015 at 14:27.

Finally! 3500 ft from the pond and 3000 off trail. 100 yds in that kind of terrain is the other end of the world. Rest easy Inchworm!

Images

I'm so glad they found her, for her family's peace of mind. I can't imagine going through this with someone I love. As far as the cause, they may never figure it out but anyone can become disoriented for any number of reasons. Dehydration, heart problems, strokes, accidental injuries and so on. Let's see what the investigation reveals.
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

what I don't believe is a healthy person walked 3000 feet from the trail sat down and said I'm going to die here while people were actively looking for her

I agree with you Muddywaters.

Wardens are only saying thats where she was found along with what appeared to be her possessions. They need a little time to look through the things they found, possibly there was a journal entry that provides a clue or two. ME has the final word. Without evidence of foul play, it leaves the more simple possibilities in play. We may never know.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
    > not if it involves wandering for 20 miles off trail through the ME woods

Her body wasn't found 20 miles off The Trail.
    It was found 3000 feet from The Trail.
    A not unreasonable distance for someone disoriented, or even for someone who's had a mini-stroke.

i agree. the problem with YOUR statement is you ignore that the fact that i was willingly and knowingly just creating what ifs at a time in which we hadnt yet gotten all the facts. i wasnt ignoring things already known. not even close.

Page 4 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++