WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Bluebearee View Post
    http://appalachiantrail.com/20151016...-largay-found/

"No foul play" ?!!

I sent a follow-up e-mail to Corporal MacDonald asking if foul play was suspected. He replied, “Not suspected, thank you.”
    That is neither confirmation nor denial. You don't grammar much do you? Me giving you that answer can be taken two ways. I'm standing next to a body full of bullet holes, on a deserted island, smoking gun in hand, and foul is not SUSPECTED. Foul play is KNOWN. Or, as you're guessing, it is not suspected. Either way, the quote isn't a lie.

Now, what's with all the conspiracy talk? I'm not much into conspiracies. Some out I missed out on them all.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by vamelungeon View Post
    I'm so glad they found her, for her family's peace of mind. I can't imagine going through this with someone I love. As far as the cause, they may never figure it out but anyone can become disoriented for any number of reasons. Dehydration, heart problems, strokes, accidental injuries and so on. Let's see what the investigation reveals.
    The remains were called "skeletal". Given no soft tissue to analyze, I'd agree with you that the actual cause of death will likely not be determined unless evidence of a traumatic injury (broken bones leading to immobilization and exposure, or head or spinal injury) is present. [EDIT: Or skeletal remains show evidence of an underlying disease.] I anticipate there will be likely one of those "most probable cause" conclusions. RIP Inchworm.
    Last edited by 4eyedbuzzard; 10-16-2015 at 14:58.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Lost things (and people) are ALWAYS found in the LAST place they are looked for. If they were in the most likely, easy to find, places - they wouldn't be "lost" for very long. That's kind of how the whole "lost" thing works.
    They are always found in the last place looked BECAUSE YOU DON'T CONTINUE TO LOOK FOR THEM ONCE THEY ARE FOUND!!!

They are NOT always found in the least likely, most difficult, etc.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Brewerbob View Post
    They are always found in the last place looked BECAUSE YOU DON'T CONTINUE TO LOOK FOR THEM ONCE THEY ARE FOUND!!!

They are NOT always found in the least likely, most difficult, etc.
    Thanks for explaining that to me.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Redrowen View Post
    Press Conference Notes:
    - Persons discovering the remains was doing an environmental survey for the Navy.
    - Remains were found 3000 feet off the trail. (Someone correct me if I'm wrong)
    - Belongings found with the remains match with what she was carrying.
    - No foul play seems to be involved at this time.
    - Medical Examiner report pending.
    3,000 ft ain't very far.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine View Post
    Map here showing where she was found:

https://pbs.twimg.com/media/CRc_-3jXAAExhcA.jpg:large
    All downhill from the looks of it. Possibly a river?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    what I don't believe is a healthy person walked 3000 feet from the trail sat down and said I'm going to die here while people were actively looking for her

it's a given that there's more to the story
    Clearly true MuddyWaters. But right now I am thinking that this most likely involves a medical problem that caused Geraldine to become disorientated and/or impair her judgement. It will be interesting to see what the medical examiner determines.

No mention was made of notes, or messages. It does not sound like there is evidence she camped there for some time in survival mode. As you pointed out, an equipped hiker should have been able to last for some time. This would seem indicate impaired judgement and perhaps a rapidly escalating medical situation. Less likely, but still possible, is foul play.

I would very much like to know the condition of her equipment. Was her backpack on or off? The tent set up? Sleeping bag around her? This would tell us something.

I hope her family and friends can forgive all this speculation and discussion. It is human nature to try to make sense out of something like this.
    Last edited by imscotty; 10-16-2015 at 14:51.

Images

3,000 ft ain't very far.
    further from the trail than ive ever been (without being on a side trail) or would ever care to go in woods and terrain like that.

Images

All downhill from the looks of it. Possibly a river?
    how close to the "road" thats there is that?

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    The remains were called "skeletal". Given no soft tissue to analyze, I'd agree with you that the actual cause of death will likely not be determined unless evidence of a traumatic injury (broken bones leading to immobilization and exposure, or head or spinal injury) is present. I anticipate there will be likely one of those "most probable cause" conclusions. RIP Inchworm.
    Your foul play guys will also be limited. Unless there is a bullet/knife nick on a bone... strangle someone and the skeleton wouldn't show it.

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    further from the trail than ive ever been (without being on a side trail) or would ever care to go in woods and terrain like that.
    There seems to be some disagreement in that footage from the press conference and the written statement by the MWS. The printed statement says 3,000 feet from the eastern shore of Redington Pond, which would put the discovery site about 100 or so yards from the AT. One of the two measurements is accurate, but either the briefer or the editor of the statement misspoke.

Journal Entries
    Images

I've not done a thru hike but I'm lost. The trail was right there a minute ago. Damn it. Well, downhill is easier than uphill. And if I've got to be lost, I'm going to be lost near water. Water is downhill not uphill. That's where I'm going.

All of that is said without knowing what the guide has to say about this particular section of the trail.

The map pic was kind of sketchy. Anyone know if there was a road crossing and/or stream there? There was what looked like a clear path in the trees.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by AT Traveler View Post
    There seems to be some disagreement in that footage from the press conference and the written statement by the MWS. The printed statement says 3,000 feet from the eastern shore of Redington Pond, which would put the discovery site about 100 or so yards from the AT. One of the two measurements is accurate, but either the briefer or the editor of the statement misspoke.
    if 100 yards from the AT in pretty much the precise stretch where one would have expected to find her and all those searches didnt turn her up then the idea of going in the woods and looking for a missing person is truly futile. its a wonder anyone is ever found.

Images

Your foul play guys will also be limited. Unless there is a bullet/knife nick on a bone... strangle someone and the skeleton wouldn't show it.
    True. However, any missing credit cards/cash, expensive gear might also tell a piece of the story. I am highly doubtful this will be the case. Just simply listing other signs of foul play.

The Maine Wardens (among others) have taken this case very personally, and remain taking this case personally... They have put a lot of effort into locating Gerry and I am highly doubtful they would just "dismiss" anything. If there is even a shred of evidence to say that foul play occurred, I am sure that will be followed.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Tipi Walter View Post
    Has this been posted yet on this thread??

Thx Walter.

Images

I've not done a thru hike but I'm lost. The trail was right there a minute ago. Damn it. Well, downhill is easier than uphill. And if I've got to be lost, I'm going to be lost near water. Water is downhill not uphill. That's where I'm going.

All of that is said without knowing what the guide has to say about this particular section of the trail.

The map pic was kind of sketchy. Anyone know if there was a road crossing and/or stream there? There was what looked like a clear path in the trees.
    oh im not saying at all that is unreasonable to think she wandered that far, but it is a long ways.

there is a road there, of sorts, along oberton stream. i wonder if she were closer to the road than to the AT.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Water Rat View Post
    True. However, any missing credit cards/cash, expensive gear might also tell a piece of the story. I am highly doubtful this will be the case. Just simply listing other signs of foul play.
    I doubt that'll be the case at all. If there was foul play, I'm thinking more like the random nutjob not robbery. Who the hell is going to rob a thru hiker? You've got maybe $50 on you and you're probably in better shape than me.

Images

I doubt that'll be the case at all. If there was foul play, I'm thinking more like the random nutjob not robbery. Who the hell is going to rob a thru hiker? You've got maybe $50 on you and you're probably in better shape than me.
    She wasn't the "normal" thru-hiker, but I do get your point. I was simply saying those would be possible signs to look for.

Journal Entries
    Images

i wonder if she were closer to the road than to the AT.
    From the attached, I'd say equal distance from the trail as the lake/stream/water. Any clue with the little box line missing trees is?

Following the ravine she was in downhill to the lake makes sense if lost. Makes sense with a broken leg/twisted ankle. I can't get back up that damn hill. Down, I can scoot on my butt. The lake makes it easier for someone to spot me from the air too.

She may have been thinking cleanly by this point if she was first confused and lost.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 5 of 18 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15 ... LastLast
++ New Posts ++