WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast

The article about the SERE school is absurd. Please ignore that sort of foolishness if you can help it. They just don't understand. I find that sort of thing so frustrating, but there is not much you can do when folks get themselves that far gone.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by 4eyedbuzzard View Post
    Brewerbob, the Learjet accident, along with other incidents, actually led to the requirement for better ELT's in small commercial aircraft like the Learjet that crashed in NH. But, nothing is foolproof as witnessed in the search for hiker Kate Matrosova earlier this year, whose PLB signal directed rescuers to several errant locations. Add that such technology is expensive to purchase, install, maintain, and monitor, especially on a large geographic scale. None of this stuff will ever be foolproof. Batteries go dead, circuits fail, etc. In the end, we as a society agree that there is level of risk that we don't guard against because it's just too damned expensive to do so. And even the technology that's available has limitations http://www.sarsat.noaa.gov/emerbcns.html
    True but they should be the exception not the rule.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Emergency beacons dont activate until there is an event, and are picked up by satellites overhead.

You are talking continuous beacon broadcasting gps location to satellite network, tracked by authorities.doable, but with a host of its own problems im sure.
    Exactly what I'm talking. I'm not a fan of the "It costs too much" excuse. It's been used by every industry since the beginning of industries. We never learn. There's X number of people that have to get run over before a road is rerouted or a light is put up. If you quit being a cheap S.O.B. and do it right the first time....

Quote Originally Posted by TheCheek View Post
    Btw at 600 mph you travel 2.5 miles in 15 sec. Not 1/4 mile. at 200, it's just shy of 1 mile (5/6).
    Yeah, not sure how I divided 10 miles a minute by 15 seconds to get a 1/4 mile.

Quote Originally Posted by Another Kevin View Post
    I've gone bushwhacking looking for old plane crashes in the North Woods.

Even with GPS coordinates it can be a challenge. You can be fifty feet from the wreck and not see it. The spruce is that dense in the North Woods.

If there's a mile worth of uncertainty, I could easily see it taking years to find the thing, unless you can spot smoke rising or something.
    Ok to hell with the planes, I need to find these woods!!

The headline alone should start a good fight. Going to go back later and give it a read.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    The problem with the article is that it's basically making a case for conspiracy freaks, ...

If that were true than why was her stuff found in a way that was not hidden?
    That's my problem with most conspiracies anyway. The Navy has enough money, resources and now time to have made EVERYTHING disappear FOREVER.

Concur with you. The garbage on the www about what supposedly goes on there is worse than what we see in the Natl Enquirer. It's not a secretive facility and people are not tortued there.
    No one at SERE school had a thing to do with her disappearance.
    gister in the
    Quote Originally Posted by PD230SOI View Post
    The article about the SERE school is absurd. Please ignore that sort of foolishness if you can help it. They just don't understand. I find that sort of thing so frustrating, but there is not much you can do when folks get themselves that far gone.

Journal Entries
    Images

“This one has really got us all stumped,” Steve Mitman, a volunteer with Franklin County Search and Rescue, told the Lewiston Sun Journal after a week of fruitless searching. It’s “like a spacecraft popped down and picked her up,” he said.
    They should have searched Area 51 just to be sure it wasn't aliens.

Gerry hiked nearly 11 miles that day, over Saddleback Mountain, to the Poplar Ridge lean-to, where she met the two female hikers and bonded with them over dinner. By this point, she had completed almost 1,000 miles of the A.T.
    Or so they say. Maybe they ate her and left the bones in the tent to throw off suspicion.

When I asked Lt. Kevin Adam of the Maine Warden Service about this, he said, “We’re sure we know who made the phone call, but the verbiage was screwed up.” After I expressed surprise that they’d identified the caller, Lt. Adam backtracked a bit. “I believe we know who made the call,” he said. “A little got lost in translation.”
    A perfectly good reason why the CIA should record and listen to EVERY call made. I wonder how the author would feel about that.

Dogs, and horses, can catch the scent of bodies much better than we can. And they’re not the only animals capable of giving us clues.
    If only they had ridden the dogs and searched with the horses!!

Dave Field has been a member of the Appalachian Trail Club since 1955. He maintains the section of trail Largay was traveling when she vanished, and has done so for 48 years. I asked him what he thought of the possibility Largay was a victim of foul play.
    HE DID IT!!!

North of the trail, in Redington Township and Coplin Plantation, permanent residents are even harder to find. In 2010, the Census Bureau pegged the population of the latter, which covers an area of over 33 square miles, at 166 souls.
    162 souls, 166 bodies; there are 4 gingers.

The Washington Post picked up the story and it got some attention nationally, but, as usual, other news happened that year (Watergate, for example) and the public moved on to the next outrage.
    So that's what Nixon was up to. He knew there was going to be a coverup 40 yrs later BECAUSE HE STARTED IT ALL.

Morris wrote. “Nor do they have the resources to mount a program of systematic sensory deprivation and humiliation.”
    It's a known fact that rope and blindfolds are too expensive after the book(s) 50 Shades of Gray was written.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Majortrauma View Post
    Concur with you. The garbage on the www about what supposedly goes on there is worse than what we see in the Natl Enquirer. It's not a secretive facility and people are not tortured there.
    That would depend on your definition of "torture". If you know it's a class and it's only a week long, is it torture? I believe every "torture" described in the accounts happen and happen to this day. That's what SERE is for. If you want to ask nicely for your tormentors to stop in real life I'm sure they will comply if you've successfully completed a Miss Manner's certified training class.

I've been reading all the posts in this thread and feel such sadness for Inchworm. She seemed to have such a love of life, and had so many people that loved her. A huge loss for everyone in her life.

I'd like to see this thread get back to Inchworm, not airplanes, torture, conspiracy and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by biscotti View Post
    I've been reading all the posts in this thread and feel such sadness for Inchworm. She seemed to have such a love of life, and had so many people that loved her. A huge loss for everyone in her life.

I'd like to see this thread get back to Inchworm, not airplanes, torture, conspiracy and the like.
    Agree 100%.

Images

Agree 200%.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Majortrauma View Post
    Concur with you. The garbage on the www about what supposedly goes on there is worse than what we see in the Natl Enquirer. It's not a secretive facility and people are not tortued there.
    No one at SERE school had a thing to do with her disappearance.
    gister in the

heres the part i dont get. if it isnt a secret why isnt it on the hiking maps? that has been my biggest "huh?" about the whole thing since the article was published. its not even about saying what is there or anything, the maps omit what could be useful information about "roads" in that area, not on government property. why? why is the railroad bed shown as ending at the AT when in fact it continues north and is, truthfully, more passable and still usable as a route north instead of to the south? is it a "wild conspiracy theory" to entertain that maybe theres a 10% chance this in accuracy in the maps could cause someone to get lost? does someone really think making the maps accurate would cause AT hikers to go exploring where they shoudlnt? talk about paranoid conspiracy theories. the natural features such as the pond and the falls ARE listed and are likely to be much bigger points of curiosity. if anything the maps should maybe indicate that you arent allowed to venture back there in order to prevent people who otherwise would from doing so.

its just strange. theres plenty of other land along the AT corridor you arent allowed on. its my experience these things are generally shown on the map of the area.

Yeah, getting a little crazy. Will just have to wait for more information....

400% agreed !!!!

As a person who lost a loved one to an accident in the woods, I would add a couple thoughts. Those that knew and loved her have more information than we do.

Stop and let that fact sink in for a moment. STOP AND LET THAT FACT SINK IN FOR A MOMENT!!!! There are reasons for that. One reason we remain in the dark about some details is what is being said here is offensive.

I went through it with my step-father for years. People have no clue how offensive they are being. May God save those people from a similar fate. It is quite likely some will never grasp how ignorant these speculations are unless they suffer a similar loss. There are certainly many teachable moments in this story. In time, if we stop with the wild scenarios, those with a more complete picture might share with us. The authorities that interviewed me after my step-father died asked for permission to use his story to help others not die as he did. I agreed to allow it to happen. IT DID NOT HELP. People did not believe the truth. Fantasy is more important than reality to some scum. Hearing those fantasies hurt me and I am certain the crap being posted here does not help those that knew and loved InchWorm.

In short, to those that do not have the facts, SHUT YOUR PIEHOLE.

There are things that can be said. What profit is there in all this other crap? Until you have been there, you can't imagine how ANY... I repeat ANY scenario that does not line up with the facts that they have been provided hurts. WE don't need all the facts. We do need to be respectful. Is this an overly sensitive view? Absolutely. Trust me. You would be overly sensitive if it were your wife or daughter or mother or sister or cousin or good friend.
    In the end, it's not the years in your life that count. It's the life in your years. - Abraham Lincoln

Birdbrain FTW

Images

I want to thank both of you for your comments. Some of the stuff in this thread has been turning my stomach, but I've bitten my tongue because I wasn't sure it would help to say so. BirdBrain, you had the experience, so you are just the man to put it into words. Thank you especially.

Quote Originally Posted by BirdBrain View Post
    400% agreed !!!!

As a person who lost a loved one to an accident in the woods, I would add a couple thoughts. Those that knew and loved her have more information than we do.

Stop and let that fact sink in for a moment. STOP AND LET THAT FACT SINK IN FOR A MOMENT!!!! There are reasons for that. One reason we remain in the dark about some details is what is being said here is offensive.

I went through it with my step-father for years. People have no clue how offensive they are being. May God save those people from a similar fate. It is quite likely some will never grasp how ignorant these speculations are unless they suffer a similar loss. There are certainly many teachable moments in this story. In time, if we stop with the wild scenarios, those with a more complete picture might share with us. The authorities that interviewed me after my step-father died asked for permission to use his story to help others not die as he did. I agreed to allow it to happen. IT DID NOT HELP. People did not believe the truth. Fantasy is more important than reality to some scum. Hearing those fantasies hurt me and I am certain the crap being posted here does not help those that knew and loved InchWorm.

In short, to those that do not have the facts, SHUT YOUR PIEHOLE.

There are things that can be said. What profit is there in all this other crap? Until you have been there, you can't imagine how ANY... I repeat ANY scenario that does not line up with the facts that they have been provided hurts. WE don't need all the facts. We do need to be respectful. Is this an overly sensitive view? Absolutely. Trust me. You would be overly sensitive if it were your wife or daughter or mother or sister or cousin or good friend.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

Journal Entries
    Images

To my reading, not a single person participating in this thread has promoted any theories suggested in that article. At most, one person mentioned the article's existence.

Good for them pointing out one of the few on-line references to of the facility. Here is another, without all the drama:

http://bangordailynews.com/2015/07/2...-torture-camp/

Count me among the 100% of posters here on Whiteblaze that don't buy into conspiracy theories in this tragic incident.

That said, knowledge of this facility's existence is germane to the discussion and the authorities who conducted the search and are conducting their investigation would be derelict in their duties to ignore its existence. I feel certain that they are not.

As for offensive posts there have been a few -- but not in this thread. Those concerned comments on how the family was grieving and reacting to this tragic event and some speculation that was so patently disrespectful I won't go any further. Those people are the ones who should be ashamed -- they know who they are.

Images

Birdbrain hit the nail on the head.
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

Images

I appreciate that it is painful to some that others will discuss at length a tragedy such as this. However, I think most of the posts in this thread have been respectful. As always, there are a few that aren't, and there is some inevitable thread drift. That is the nature of long discussions - tangents are explored. I was the one who originally brought up the missing Learjet, but only because some people seemed to imply that S&R didn't do a very good job. I only brought it up as an example to point out the incredible difficulty of finding someone who is lost/missing. If anyone took it as offensive, it certainly wasn't intended to be so, nor do I think bringing it up in the context that existed was.

That all said, I'm going to throw this thought out there as well though. When the dust settles, whatever the ultimate finding of facts, one fact we already know that will stick out is that Gerry was hiking alone. And while many of us also do so for a myriad of reasons, there will always remain in many people's minds the possibility that this accident may have been avoided, or a more prompt rescue made, had she been hiking with a partner. Perhaps it would have made no difference, perhaps it would have - or we may never know. But the ME's report along with the investigation of the recovery scene may shed some light regarding whether or not hiking alone was a factor.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    heres the part i dont get. if it isnt a secret why isnt it on the hiking maps? that has been my biggest "huh?" about the whole thing since the article was published. its not even about saying what is there or anything, the maps omit what could be useful information about "roads" in that area, not on government property. why? why is the railroad bed shown as ending at the AT when in fact it continues north and is, truthfully, more passable and still usable as a route north instead of to the south? is it a "wild conspiracy theory" to entertain that maybe theres a 10% chance this in accuracy in the maps could cause someone to get lost? does someone really think making the maps accurate would cause AT hikers to go exploring where they shoudlnt? talk about paranoid conspiracy theories. the natural features such as the pond and the falls ARE listed and are likely to be much bigger points of curiosity. if anything the maps should maybe indicate that you arent allowed to venture back there in order to prevent people who otherwise would from doing so.

its just strange. theres plenty of other land along the AT corridor you arent allowed on. its my experience these things are generally shown on the map of the area.
    I haven't hiked the Maryland section in many years or purchased a new map. But back in the 80s Camp David wasn't on many of the maps. It used to be blurred out on Google but I noticed it is on the Google sat view now.

I think the fact the body was found points to the fact that there was no "spooky" element involved. I suspect hypothermia from what info seems to be available. A lot of speculation can be eliminated once the ME report comes out.

Quote Originally Posted by tdoczi View Post
    heres the part i dont get. if it isnt a secret why isnt it on the hiking maps?
    It's in all Delorme products, and clearly identified in the Wilderness Map Co's Rangeley map.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    For example, the article quotes that Dave Field (who one would think is beyond reproach)
    He is. I doubt he knew the product of his interview would be an anti-military conspiracy theory, though.
    Teej

"[ATers] represent three percent of our use and about twenty percent of our effort," retired Baxter Park Director Jensen Bissell.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Hey BirdBrain...

{21 Clap salute}

Page 14 of 18 FirstFirst ... 4 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17 18 LastLast
++ New Posts ++