WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Images

Pedaling Fool has advice I wish I had known 30 years ago. Exercise to prevent injury!

As a woman, you also need to do what you can to prevent or postpone osteoporesis. Talk to your doctor about this and read up on it. I have a friend who is 73 who has osteopenia and has broken several bones (hand, wrist, ankles). She still hikes and can go a good distance, but needs to be careful about falling. It might be worthwhile to get a bone density study. Hiking and weight exercises are good for preventing this.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by SueJhiker View Post
    Thanks for all the good advice everyone! I do get out and hike as much as possible everyday and up some pretty steep sections I might add. I just wasn't sure when AT hikers say a 'vertical climb' that they meant rappelling. I don't think I am ready for that yet! LOL.
    Vertical climb on the AT does not involve rappelling. On the steepest sections you just need to go slowly and carefully (or fast and carefully). The rocks in PA are probably one of the more hazardous parts of the trail. You can break and ankle as easily on rocks on level ground as on steeper terrain.

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

Seriously don't even worry about it. Give yourself plenty of time and don't worry about racing. If you have known medical issues, have a plan to manage them. Otherwise it's just one step at a time. Tortoise and the Hare...

I know there will be difficult parts. My hiking friend gets me through some tough sections by saying take it an inch at a time. And don't look down! That is another obstacle is fear of heights. I have not problem going up, it is going down that bothers me. But I can. And I will do this.

This is my philosophy exactly. I want to enjoy the experience.

Images

My wife, 62 attempted a thru hike, stress fractures on leg going down clingmans dome in the ice, put her off trail for 6 weeks, then a simple fall broke her wrist very badly and that finished her hike. So what I know is you need to get a bone density test to make sure your bones are OK to hike. Many women loose bone mass after 50. As far a training, put on a 40 lb pack and walk for 8 hours a day every chance you get, like every weekend if you are working, cardio on a stationary bike during the week. When you hit the trail with a ~~30lb pack you will do fine. You will already know what it is to hike 8 hours in the cold, wet, rain wind. ONLY now you will get to sleep outside in a tent or shelter.

I would say from my experience in 1997, set a reasonable pace and miles per day and then stick to it. I got so disheartened from hiking a few days with others I got to know (mostly younger), and when they pulled out ahead of me I tried to hike more miles to keep up. I would eventually have to Just let them go, but then it would happen again with the next group I hiked with. If I could only do it over again, I would limit myself to 12-14 miles per day, tops. This is just from my experience and you may be in better shape than I was to go the distance. I have about 1000 miles of the AT under my belt and don't expect to do any more. Good luck to you. You are definitely not old, but a good age to enjoy and appreciate the experience.

Why do you have to do a thru? What's wrong with long section hikes? Take breaks between each section. The trail will always be there.

When I retire in three years, this is my game plan. I probably don't have the mental fortitude to do an actual continuous thru hike. But I sure as heck want to do section hikes all up and down the trail at my leisure. I'll pick and choose what time of year and where I'll go. This will be my adventure after a lifetime of work. Now I just have to keep healthy. Enjoy your experiences on the trail.

"Start slow and taper off." Seen on a runner's t-shirt many moons ago. It works. After a few weeks your "Slow" will be faster than when you started. You will be stronger and hopefully injury free.
    Stay dry. Stay warm. Be safe. Have fun.

Wayne
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Images

I know there will be difficult parts. My hiking friend gets me through some tough sections by saying take it an inch at a time. And don't look down! That is another obstacle is fear of heights. I have not problem going up, it is going down that bothers me. But I can. And I will do this.
    That's the spirit! It is an amazing trail - When you feel yourself starting to be bothered, just look around at the beauty around you. That will (hopefully) help! One step at a time!

omg you guys are awesome with your words of encouragement!

Quote Originally Posted by Snowleopard View Post
    Vertical climb on the AT does not involve rappelling. On the steepest sections you just need to go slowly and carefully (or fast and carefully). The rocks in PA are probably one of the more hazardous parts of the trail. You can break and ankle as easily on rocks on level ground as on steeper terrain.
    Thank you for this information. I walked some of the AT in Vermont near Killington pretty much straight up a mountain. And that was something I could handle.

Images

Just making one more point, coming from a recent AT hike completer, who started his hike at age 57... There seems to be two dominant age categories along the trail, the 20-somethings (and some younger) being the most numerous, but us 50-somethings (and older) have some pretty big numbers out there. So you will find lots and lots of folks our age to hang with. Just a very wild guess, but probably 60% of the AT hikers (long distance hikers, that is) are less than 30, probably 25-30% over 50 and the rest (10-15%?) in their 30's and 40's, definitely this last category being the smallest. Just my own observation, not actually looking at any stats.

Most people I see that hike the trail are younger and fit. I am in relatively good shape for my age (54) but am a bit apprehensive about parts of the trail. Because of work, I will not be ready to thru hike for another couple years. For those that have actually experienced the AT, can you give me some advice? Are there alternative trails around some of the most difficult sections? And what exactly is a vertical climb on the AT? I have climbed up steep trails around here by pulling myself up by roots of trees, so is there alot of that? Also I will be doing a few shorter section hikes to prepare. Anyone with advice on that?
    54 isn't old. My wife was 62 before she discovered that she likes to hike. Since then, she has hiked to the bottom of the Grand Canyon 28 times. She is doing it again next month at age 72.

The issues we face as "older" hikers are:
    1. Body weight -- the less you weigh, the easier it is to hike.
    2. Knees -- keep your knees in good condition by walking a lot (minimum of 5 miles a day)
    3. Balance -- exercise daily and use hiking poles
    4. Pack Weight -- light weight gear is more expensive, but keeping your pack weight down is worth the extra cost.
    Shutterbug

Quote Originally Posted by Shutterbug View Post
    54 isn't old. My wife was 62 before she discovered that she likes to hike. Since then, she has hiked to the bottom of the Grand Canyon 28 times. She is doing it again next month at age 72.

The issues we face as "older" hikers are:
    1. Body weight -- the less you weigh, the easier it is to hike.
    2. Knees -- keep your knees in good condition by walking a lot (minimum of 5 miles a day)
    3. Balance -- exercise daily and use hiking poles
    4. Pack Weight -- light weight gear is more expensive, but keeping your pack weight down is worth the extra cost.
    Sometimes I have difficulty with balance. I was wondering if maybe yoga would help with that?

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    Just making one more point, coming from a recent AT hike completer, who started his hike at age 57... There seems to be two dominant age categories along the trail, the 20-somethings (and some younger) being the most numerous, but us 50-somethings (and older) have some pretty big numbers out there. So you will find lots and lots of folks our age to hang with. Just a very wild guess, but probably 60% of the AT hikers (long distance hikers, that is) are less than 30, probably 25-30% over 50 and the rest (10-15%?) in their 30's and 40's, definitely this last category being the smallest. Just my own observation, not actually looking at any stats.
    That makes sense. The youngest group are fresh out of college or high school and not established in a job and the older people are finishing with their careers and have the time and money.

Images

I don't know if you follow Trail Journals... There was a female hiker (Penguin) who completed the trail in September. From reading her journal, I think think she had a wonderful time out there. Oh, and she is 60yrs young! http://www.trailjournals.com/entry.cfm?id=467330

A few years ago I went looking for answers to why I was having a lot of foot pain. I didn't get an answer to that, but along the way I was diagnosed with a balance problem and prescribed a good amount of physical therapy. I was told that most insurance will cover this because remediating balance problems is a good way to save a lot of money in the long run.
    anyway the o exercises They had me doing basically came down to those that would develop better core strength and a tedious number of ankle exercises using therabands. your balance issues might be different and it's worth getting a good evaluation done. I ended up with about half an hour a days worth of exercises that really were effective. Nice to think about right now because I let it lapse in a I have to start doing them again.

yoga would probably help with the course strength issues. for me, the best thing was adult beginner ballet classes which can do amazing things for both balance and actual foot strength and flexibility.

You are still very much a youngster...I am 60 and hiked a while with a 70 YO gent this summer. I was just doing a 5 day 63 mile hike and he was doing a thru, had made it to PA already. Just enjoy the trail and take your own sweet time...your body will tell you how to move, listen to it!! I will be going for my thru (flip flop style) in a few years, just might see you on the trail.

Images

Sometimes I have difficulty with balance. I was wondering if maybe yoga would help with that?
    Yes. Anything that increases your range of motion, flexibility, strength, etc. will have a positive impact on balance. You lose your balance when you can't keep your weight over your center of gravity. The weaker and less flexible you are, the sooner this happens given any particular set of motions. I'd add that hiking poles can be an good balance aid as well. That said, there are a few places where due to the nature of the trail you have to stow them to be able to use your hands.
    "That's the thing about possum innards - they's just as good the second day." - Jed Clampett

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++