WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default Older female hiker planning on a thru hike

Most people I see that hike the trail are younger and fit. I am in relatively good shape for my age (54) but am a bit apprehensive about parts of the trail. Because of work, I will not be ready to thru hike for another couple years. For those that have actually experienced the AT, can you give me some advice? Are there alternative trails around some of the most difficult sections? And what exactly is a vertical climb on the AT? I have climbed up steep trails around here by pulling myself up by roots of trees, so is there alot of that? Also I will be doing a few shorter section hikes to prepare. Anyone with advice on that?

There's some pretty steep climbs in NH and Maine which often involve using your hands to hold onto roots and rocks. In a few places there are "bad weather" by-passes if the official route is exposed and could be dangerous in heavy rain, ice or snow. Except in NH and Maine where your expected to be able to handle anything.

As for your age, not a problem so long as your reasonably fit and don't have any serious health issues. Quite a few woman of your age thru hike. Check out the trail journals (at www.trailjournals.com) and look for Airlock, Little Mermaid and Bonbon to name a few.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

I'm older than dirt. My general rule: The older I get, the lighter I have to make my pack. Sensible light.
    Good luck.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

You're 54? Please don't call yourself "older". You're just hitting your stride. I know this because I am 53 (as of today and I am ready to go-go-go!

Images

We're about your age, and it can be done. Yes, there are some strenuous parts, but just take it easy. There can be some steep climbs up north but they tend to be short.

For the sections, do you mean you want to hike AT sections? I'd go south, somewhere in Southwest Virginia, or Georgia/NC. That'll give you a good intro to the trail without being too difficult. Hiking in PA is tough but in a different way.
    Ken B
    'Big Cranky'
    Our Long Trail journal

Agree with everything. 54 is not old. Start out slow and low. Listen to your body. Take rest days often. When I retire at 60 and start doing longer distance hikes, this is my game plan.

54 is not old. Many folks far older than that have completed thru hikes.

Alternative trails... yes and no. No easy way to generalize on that score. In some places there are clear and obvious alternatives, in other places, not so much.

There are some very steep climbs here and there, particularly in New Hampshire and Maine. The mid-Atlantic portion of the trail, from (approx.) northern Virginia to southern New England, is the easier part of the trail.

My advice would be to sample the AT nearest to home and work your way up to the harder stuff. From PA you're in a great position to explore the trail. The trail in PA is generally considered easy, except for the rocks. There is one very steep section just north of Lehigh Gap (Palmerton) but it's a notorious outlier in that regard. Looks scary but really isn't that difficult.

Journal Entries

At the ALDHA gathering, I met a woman, 74 years young, who just completed an AT thru-hike the old fashioned way, using a tent or shelters, cooking food, etc. Go For It!
    Last edited by sfdoc; 10-18-2015 at 09:16. Reason: spelling

You should start a weight training regimen; not in lieu of hiking other trails, but as an additional preparation tool. It's a myth that hiking is the best way to prepare for hiking, but that's not to say you shouldn't do it, just that you need to do other things, especially for us older folk. Another myth is if you have an activity, such as hiking that provides much use of your legs than working out with weights is useless or redundant. Totally false. Activities such as hiking is very repetitious activity, meaning that certain muscles/connective tissues are getting a lot of work, but others not so much. Weightlifting will fill in the gaps.

This is a pretty good article on why runners should lift; however, you could just replace the word for runner with hiker and it's just as applicable, actually more so, since up in the area you want to prepare for also incorporates upper body requirements, i.e. rock scrambling. http://www.nwrunner.com/why-runners-...-need-busting/

One of the biggest advantages to lifting is injury prevention. It will not only give you the strength to do the lifting of the body, it will strengthen you bones and connective tissue.

Also, you can only spend so much time hiking, whereas you lifting can be done virtually anytime, including while watching television. To lift you don't need weights, at least in the beginning. http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fit...er-adults.aspx

If all you do is cardio (including walking, AKA, hiking), you will still lose muscle every year as you age, not to mention weakening of connective tissues and bones. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJoq5c4mPL8

Very good advice! After I did a pretty vertical section of a trail around here by using my hands to pull my body up the trail, I could really feel it the next day. It felt good, but I could see where upper body strength will definately help and give me more confidence.

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    You should start a weight training regimen; not in lieu of hiking other trails, but as an additional preparation tool. It's a myth that hiking is the best way to prepare for hiking, but that's not to say you shouldn't do it, just that you need to do other things, especially for us older folk. Another myth is if you have an activity, such as hiking that provides much use of your legs than working out with weights is useless or redundant. Totally false. Activities such as hiking is very repetitious activity, meaning that certain muscles/connective tissues are getting a lot of work, but others not so much. Weightlifting will fill in the gaps.

This is a pretty good article on why runners should lift; however, you could just replace the word for runner with hiker and it's just as applicable, actually more so, since up in the area you want to prepare for also incorporates upper body requirements, i.e. rock scrambling. http://www.nwrunner.com/why-runners-...-need-busting/

One of the biggest advantages to lifting is injury prevention. It will not only give you the strength to do the lifting of the body, it will strengthen you bones and connective tissue.

Also, you can only spend so much time hiking, whereas you lifting can be done virtually anytime, including while watching television. To lift you don't need weights, at least in the beginning. http://fitness.mercola.com/sites/fit...er-adults.aspx

If all you do is cardio (including walking, AKA, hiking), you will still lose muscle every year as you age, not to mention weakening of connective tissues and bones. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OJoq5c4mPL8
    Agree wholeheartedly. I find my climbing and descending power much improved as I have buffed up with weights. I am turning 51 and I am far from old. Waiting a few more more years for my daughter to hit her teens then I will begin my long distance hiking career.

As far as women thru hiking: I have met numerous female thru hikers on the AT in Maine who were ten or more years older than I am.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

You should be training - training - training! Find an outdoor "boot camp" style group and get in shape. There is absolutely NO excuse for people to not be in shape, unless they have some disability.

Lunges (initially unweighted, working up to dumbells or weight vest), run, pushups, step ups, --- the list is endless. Check out Meetup to find a group and get moving.

53 is not old. Check out the results of some half or full marathons and see how fast these 50 yr olds are.

Get your butt up and get in shape - you will be happier, fit, sleep better and enjoy hiking so much more when you are in good shape.

Images

Ah, you are a spring chicken and you are off to a great start! to White Blaze!!!

In addition to the training mentioned above, it might help to check out some very informative blogs by women who have either done the AT, or participate in long distance hiking in general. There is a little something to be gleaned in both of the blogs I will mention - Always some new tip/trick that can make life easier, or answer a question you might have.

http://ladyonarock.com/ - This is a link to Rockin's blog. While she has not done the AT, she is around your age and probably can offer some amazing tips (for backpacking in general) from when she started to where she is now.

http://www.walkingwithwired.com/p/home-page.html - This is a link to Wired's blog. She has done the AT, PCT, CDT, and other trails. Though younger, she has awesome tips and insight to share with all age groups. Her blog is also a daily account of her life on the trail. Wired loves to talk about hiking and generate interest in the trail, and comes across as someone who is stoked about other women hikers hitting the trail.

I think both women would be more than happy to answer your questions! My personal advice... Start with lower mileage and then increase with your comfort level. Make plans that work for you, not according to what works for others. Don't psych yourself out - Take it one step at a time. Any part of the trail can be intimidating if we let it be... Sometimes a section of trail is more intimidating when you look at it as a whole and is not nearly as bad when we break it down day by day. Most of all - YOU CAN DO IT!!!

Get out there and have an amazing hike!

Images

I met a gentleman in Connecticut this summer,he was 75 and told me this was his third thru hike.It was about 11 am and he said he just came from the last shelter and that was about 8 miles away.I asked his pack weight and he told me around 40 to 45 pounds.He left Georgia on feb.28th and this was the second week in july.

While you're resting between all of these workouts , get your gear sorted out and do some real world testing. Then start removing things that you don't use from your pack. Repeat until you have only what you need.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Re: training

If fitness "workouts" appall you, there are other options. The best training is the training you will actually do, regularly, and preferably one you will enjoy. Build it into your day. I have an uphill bike ride home from work that keeps me as fit as I was at 40. When the snows come, I'll walk home and cross country ski on weekends. Colin Fletcher was an avid tennis player. Other activities like gardening or painting you house also work. Find what works for you and have a nice walk.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

You are not old. I am 60 and will thru hike next year. I will turn 61 on the trail. I have done a number of shorter hikes on the AT and a 5 day and 7 day hike. I don't work out particularly hard and am in so-so shape. Last hike was with two guys, one 30 years younger and one about 15 years younger. I worried that I would hold them up but in the end I didn't. I intend to start slow at about the 8 mile a day pace for a while and then work up. What I noticed with the younger guys is they heal and get stronger faster. Make sure your footwear works for you and your pack is comfortable. Both of these can make very long days if not right.

Images

I second kdot. The body in most cases will do what the mind tells it.

Thanks for all the good advice everyone! I do get out and hike as much as possible everyday and up some pretty steep sections I might add. I just wasn't sure when AT hikers say a 'vertical climb' that they meant rappelling. I don't think I am ready for that yet! LOL.

Get (or stay) in shape, do a lot of hiking/backpacking before hand, & carry a light backpack (don't forget hiking poles). Just try to make it to the next town for resupply, town food, & getting clean. Then, aim for the next town. Keep repeating that & you'll eventually be a thru-hiker.

That being said, NH & ME are tough. No way to sugar-coat it. But, you keep plugging & you finish. Good luck on your hike!!
    2013 AT Thru-hike: 3/21 to 8/19
    Schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t1M/edit#gid=0

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++