WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Journal Entries

Nobody can tell by looking at me whether I've just stepped into the woods for the first time, or if I'm a veteran hiker. We can make some assumptions based on clothing and equipment, but that's all they are, assumptions. Furthermore, no matter how many miles I've walked, I don't know everything.

More than once we've had discussions about somebody doing something questionable or dangerous, maybe LNT violations, or starting a trail late in the day with no visible equipment (no flashlight?) and perhaps with children in the group. If a tragedy occurs, nobody gets scolded for giving unsolicited advice. Rather, the worry is that perhaps we didn't say enough.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post
    So, by this reasoning, when/if I walk by a family in summer type clothing with small kids KNOWING a cold front with associated stormage is coming in the next hour or so, I just keep walking and say nothing?

Granted – checking out the shoes BEFORE saying anything may have been patronizing, but I’m always happy to hear a warning about conditions ahead, regardless of how long I’ve been hiking.
    This.
    The angler/hiker was not giving advice about something irrelevant or unimportant. He said the shoe might not be the best option in the trail ahead. Especially if someone is hiking with a dog attached to him via a leash and any jerky movement of the dog can potentially lead to an accident on the bolders and rockd especially if the dog seemed not to be an experienced trail trained dog as it seemed the case in their encounter.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Old Hiker View Post
    So, by this reasoning, when/if I walk by a family in summer type clothing with small kids KNOWING a cold front with associated stormage is coming in the next hour or so, I just keep walking and say nothing?

Granted – checking out the shoes BEFORE saying anything may have been patronizing, but I’m always happy to hear a warning about conditions ahead, regardless of how long I’ve been hiking.
    And I don't necessarily disagree with you, especially about giving weather information. I guess making assumptions about complete strangers and their gear or abilities rubs me the wrong way.
    "You're a nearsighted, bitter old fool."

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    Anyone ever wonder why we refer sneakers as Tennis Shoes? Tennis isn't exactly a common sport here in the States, but a lot of people seem to refer to sneakers as Tennis shoes -- I've even done it, but I don't know why...
    Started in mid-late 1800 s when first rubber soled shoes were used to play tennis, among other things. They also were known as sneakers because were quiet.

Some are still old enough to remember when the only athletic shoes were rubber toed keds and their copies. It was pretty much this way from 1900 to 1970.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 10-22-2015 at 12:52.

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Started in mid-late 1800 s when first rubber soled shoes were used to play tennis, among other things. They also were known as sneakers because were quiet.

Some are still old enough to remember when the only athletic shoes were rubber toed keds and their copies. It was pretty much this way from 1900 to 1970.
    Ah Keds: Kid tested, Grandma Gatewood approved.
    Colorless green ideas sleep furiously.

A couple of years ago we were hiking south towards Jerry's Cabin with a group of scouts in the summer. We all were wearing Trail runners, and we ran into a local guy restocking Flint Mt. Shelter. He was wearing mid-calf high boots. He looked at our sneakers and told us to be careful with sneakers as snakes could get you. We laughed at that (after he left!). Later, just before Jerry's Cabin, there is a pretty big meadow with grass about armpit high. One of the adults almost stepped on a rattler about forearm thick!!!

Sometimes locals might know a thing or two...

Images

I think we could all take a lesson from this guy...You're never too old to learn something new.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hm3JodBR-vs

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

I find that the trail attracts many socially awkward folks, after all being alone in the woods is largely an introverts game. Very often when someone comes off as bossy or know-it-all, it's just because they are anxious about approaching people they don't know or lacking the sort of nuisance that you would expect in normal day to day conversations.

Generally if someone gives me advice I assume they have the best of intentions, I thank them for it and move on (even if I chuckle about it a little afterwards, according to many people my trail runners should have gotten me killed years ago )

As for giving unsolicited advice; I usually only say something if I think someone is risking their safety, otherwise I'll let them learn for themselves.

I also have a rule that when giving advice I phrase it by telling the person "this is what I do" not "this is what YOU should do."

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Sarcasm the elf View Post
    I find that the trail attracts many socially awkward folks, after all being alone in the woods is largely an introverts game. Very often when someone comes off as bossy or know-it-all, it's just because they are anxious about approaching people they don't know or lacking the sort of nuisance that you would expect in normal day to day conversations.

Generally if someone gives me advice I assume they have the best of intentions, I thank them for it and move on (even if I chuckle about it a little afterwards, according to many people my trail runners should have gotten me killed years ago )

As for giving unsolicited advice; I usually only say something if I think someone is risking their safety, otherwise I'll let them learn for themselves.

I also have a rule that when giving advice I phrase it by telling the person "this is what I do" not "this is what YOU should do."
    In this case, I see a difference in the friendly advise given before and after the person sharing it learned the OP had been up this trail several time before. Not a big deal in any event.

My personal dilemma is whether or not to alert hikers coming the other way to something cool -- like a pond moose. For the most part I can't keep my mouth shut, but I also realize coming upon your own find often makes the experience all the better.

So, do you think you would have developed a relationship with Mary Ellen? Of course that's after she latched on to you...

Wanna-be hiker trash
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    So, do you think you would have developed a relationship with Mary Ellen? Of course that's after she latched on to you...
    The operative phrase in my post was "thank them and move on."

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    My personal dilemma is whether or not to alert hikers coming the other way to something cool --
    I was north bound starting the climb up Bear Mountain when a south bound weekender stopped me to talk.

"You can see THE CITY from up there he proudly exclaims.

"What city" I replied.

You'd have thought I had stabbed him from the look on his face.

The trouble I have with campfires are the folks that carry a bottle in one hand and a Bible in the other.
    You never know which one is talking.

I like to say "Thanks, I'll keep that in mind." And then just keep on hiking. Sometimes people have been right and I think, damn should've listened! HYOH!

The operative phrase in my post was "thank them and move on."
    Yeah, like you could out-hike Mary Ellen

No doubt. When you have poor people skills to start, that get compounded by the fact that you've not seen or spoken to another person in three nights. I just listen and move along, most people have good intentions.

Sent from my LG-V495 using Tapatalk

2010 complete

I learned my lesson regarding hopping rocks at waterfalls wearing sneakers. I'll still wear my sneakers; but I'm staying off the wet rocks. It's possible the fisherman learned the hard way, as well.

oh Lone Wolf..

where are you when we need you

Quote Originally Posted by Praha4 View Post
    oh Lone Wolf..

where are you when we need you
    "...it's just hoppin"."

What really irks me is people who bring dogs with them everywhere they go.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
++ New Posts ++