WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Default Making Trail Signs

On my hike of the AT, I saw numerous signs along the trail that were wooden and appeared to have routed out lettering/numbering on the face. I was thinking of making something very similar as Christmas gifts and would like to know if anyone here knows what tools would be best to do the letters on the face of the wood. I was thinking router, router table or Dremel but perhaps there is a tried and true method?
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

Images

here's how the AMC does it........

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V1zcIl5SuzM

Man o man it pisses me off. To see Mr. Salisbury put such pride into his work and all the effort, and then some erragent ******* destroys it on the trail. Wanna punch those kinda people right in the face!

But it was a cool video
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

here's a video of the shop the signs are made in for the trail

Northwestern, VA (outside of Harper's Ferry)
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by TNhiker View Post
    here's how the AMC does it........

Loved the video and the jig but I'll be working more or less freehand. Still, that makes it look like the router is the way to go....so far. Any other techniques?
    2,000 miler. Still keepin' on keepin' on.

I've done some lettering freehand with a router, upper case letters are easier then lower case...go for it farmer, it's fun.

I should have siad a full size router, not a dremel, that may lend itself better to some lower case which just requires a little more finesse.

I made a last name/street number sign for the end of my driveway, trail sign style. Made it freehand with a Dremel. Came out okay. Layout the letters on the board first to trace with the router and make them fairly big. Don't try to cut them out in one pass and maybe do a V grove first.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Journal Entries

I like signs in yosemite. Rusty metal. I imagine they last a while and are resistant to morons carving name in them, or writing on with sharpie, or chewing of bears. Dont remember a single instance of defacing. On the AT, most signs today have graffitti by idiots. Doesnt appear to be cnc water jet either, more like freehand with a cutting torch.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 10-22-2015 at 22:48.

Images

I used to have a CNC router that would have made killer signs. I also cut stained glass with a water jet which would have made quick work of the metal signs as well. If I still had the CNC router I would have fired it up and knocked off a few signs.

Maybe the AMC would make a sign for you for a price?

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    I like signs in yosemite. Rusty metal. I imagine they last a while and are resistant to morons carving name in them, or writing on with sharpie, or chewing of bears. Dont remember a single instance of defacing. On the AT, most signs today have graffitti by idiots. Doesnt appear to be cnc water jet either, more like freehand with a cutting torch.

Agree the rough cut metal signs really look good and almost A$$hole proof as seen in picture. The big burnt wood sign is pretty amazing though...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A heavier dremel with a router base is easiest I think.
    We did some in scouts and I do some wood burning here and there too.
    http://www.amazon.com/Dremel-335-01-.../dp/B0000DEZK4

Like you can see in the video- you aren't going that deep or big so it's a bit overkill to wrestle with a bigger router IMO. Roughly an 1/8" bit does it for face to face stuff that size.

If you're going to weather them/stain a hunk of 2x12 doug fir looks cool.
    Otherwise for paint a hunk of poplar is probably easiest to work with.

On the burnt stuff- if you use pine...
    Get a cookie sheet and put in a hair's deep bit of water.
    After you got yer letters carved out then set the project face down in the water for a few minutes, just make sure the water is just barely enough to moisten the surface but not go into the letters themselves.
    Hold or clamp the project face side down so you can burn straight up into it but the steam isn't rising into yer face.

Use a plumbers torch (soldering) and torch each letter with the tip of the flame- resoak as needed.
    With a lighter touch and some practice you can also torch up the surface a bit when you're all done to improve the look.

Cedar is a good wood for that kinda project if you can get a decent piece.

Images

I have a friend who has made some signs using his router and this Sears Craftsman kit.

It is pretty hard to use a router without a template. The base kind of blocks your view. The Sears kit above looks good. And there are tons of others available at a pretty low cost. (different sizes/fonts)

Images

Phillip, at "Trailsigns," recommends using an adjustable straight-edge jig for cutting clean lines with a hand-held router.

He has a shop on Etsy for his signs and he is on Facebook (https://www.facebook.com/trailsigns). Facebook is where he has shared tips on making his signs.

For those who want replica signs made for them, or if you have an idea for a sign you want made (he also does custom work)... Here is a link to Phillip's work - https://www.etsy.com/shop/TrailSigns

Around here the national forest is replacing a lot of the old wooden signs with plastic ones...about the same size, shape and style, just replacing wood with plastic. I stopped in at the forest service office and asked what they were doing with the old signs and if/how I could get one. They said they were placing them in storage with no plans to do anything else with them. I wanted to hang one in my man cave.

These are the style signs I'm talking about:

http://www.fs.usda.gov/Internet/FSE_...rdb5274357.jpg

My daughter ordered one online, with a hiker, AT, and my trail name. Great gift,

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++