Default From Tahoe to Yosemite, the do and don'ts

Hello everyone, new to this forum and I guess new to hiking. I am in the planning stage of my first major hike, well major for me anyway. I am planning to hike the PCT from Tahoe down to Tuolumne Meadows and then from there picking up the JMT to Half Dome, Half Dome to visitor center. I am planning 10 to 14 days, and 15 to 20 miles a day. I need advise on equipment, the do's and don'ts and things to lookout for on the trail. I suppose I should tell you a little about myself because that may change the advise you give. I am 51 years old, I have some disabilities that limit my range of motion in my upper body and in pain pretty much all the time. I do work out and I am training daily for this hike, I hike 6 days a week now and am gradually increasing distance and intensity every few days, as of this moment I have no problem going 10 to 12 miles. At this point it would appear that this is going to be a solo trip as I can't talk my wife into joining me on this journey, but I do have her full support. I would welcome a hiking partner or partners to join me if any of you are so inclined but I am fully prepared to do this solo. I hope to someday walk the entire 2600 mile of the PCT, and is on the top of my bucket list. Its nice to be retired and finally have the freedom to pursue my love of the outdoors. Any advice on any aspect of this trip would be graciously accepted.

You should be telling us how to retire at 51 and go hiking.
    Buy quality gear once.
    Good luck!

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Well Venchka, I did 24 years in the military, retired almost two years ago. I was forced to retire for medical reasons, that and they deemed me all used up, they didn't have to push me too hard, I was ready. I always lived well within my means and saved saved saved, planed for retirement from the time I was 18, my wife is still working and is an executive in Silicon Valley, I think we have earned it. Thanks

Well done. We should all follow your model.
    I meant what I said about buying quality equipment once. I'm sure you know that.
    All the best to you. Thank you for your service.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

This book will help immensely in your planning. It covers the PCT from the Oregon Border to Tuolomne Meadows.

http://www.alibris.com/The-Pacific-C.../book/15215057

This is a more condensed smaller more trail appropriate version with main PCT data info. However, you could also cut out pages in the larger heavier Wilderness Press PCT Northern California book linked above and take only relevant pages on corresponding PCT sections by mailing these pages to you at resupply pts....possibly along with Halfmile's FREE printable PCT topographical maps that cover the PCT in much better detail. Halfmile's topos have some valuable notes printed on his maps too that shouldn't be overlooked.

http://www.alibris.com/Pacific-Crest...k/book/4948589
    http://www.pctmap.net/maps/

If you desire, and I personally would find it helpful with the BIGGER Yosemite NP picture, pick up the National Geographic Trail Illustrated #206 Yosemite NP Map. HalfMile's topos cover your entire route though as well INCLUDING the JMT from Tuolomne Meadows to Yosemite Valley, on California Section H.

http://shop.nationalgeographic.com/n...park-trail-map

Here's a teaser with more valuable info.

http://www.pcta.org/discover-the-tra...rn-california/

All I can say is.........Why stop at HD.....keep truckin and finish the JMT!!!.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    All I can say is.........Why stop at HD.....keep truckin and finish the JMT!!!.

I totally agree. It seems like you have the time. You should be in great shape by then. At least give yourself the option, maybe prepare a couple resupply boxes and call your wife if you decide to continue on, have her mail them to Tuolumne, Red's Meadow, etc. All I can say is if you are like me (and apparently saltysack and a lot of other people), you're not going to want to leave the Sierra.

Quote Originally Posted by jj442434 View Post
    I totally agree. It seems like you have the time. You should be in great shape by then. At least give yourself the option, maybe prepare a couple resupply boxes and call your wife if you decide to continue on, have her mail them to Tuolumne, Red's Meadow, etc. All I can say is if you are like me (and apparently saltysack and a lot of other people), you're not going to want to leave the Sierra.
    Since finishing up the JMT just over a month ago there hasn't been a day...hour...or even minute I haven't thought about my Sierra Nevada experience....drinking one as I type!. It's going to be tough to compare any hike to that one!!!

Well, you now have me re-thinking my plans.

I guess its better to re-think it now than later.

Quote Originally Posted by oldsoldier49 View Post
    Well, you now have me re-thinking my plans.

I guess its better to re-think it now than later.
    I can't say enough for having fluid plans. My JMT thru-hike, which was my first hike over a weeklong was meticulously planned. I was nervous and excited, and I wanted everything to be perfect, so I planned meticulously.

I've gotten more experience since then, and become way more comfortable, and actually spent this May-July hitchhiking up to Alaska and then canoeing/biking/hiking around there with not much of a plan to speak of. Most of my favorite memories were completely unplanned, and in fact only happened because I had no plan.

I say set yourself up to be able to do whatever you're feeling at the time. It opens all kinds of opportunities, takes stress out of planning, and is just more fun, IMHO

Yeah, I am still adjusting to civilian life, the military has pretty much made me OCD; I can't even go to the store without planning it. At this point I am going to do what you did and meticulously plan my trip.

I am excited even though its almost 11 month out, I wish I could leave tomorrow. I have been doing a lot of research on equipment, reading lots of personal experiences from people that have hiked that particular part of the trail.

I guess I am luckier than most newbies to this, I have the benefit of survival school and spending a better part of my life being prepared for the unknown and expecting the unexpected, I'm hoping that works to my advantage.

++ New Posts ++