WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    Images

Wife used this for our 30-50 mile AT hikes with the Scouts in the summers: http://www.steepandcheap.com/gear-ca...le/ALM000A-COP
    She's 5'2" and it worked well for her. Too much like a coffin for me.

I used this for the Scouts and for my 500 mile attempt in 2012: http://www.amazon.com/ALPS-Mountaine...+zypher+1+tent
    Worked pretty well for me: 6'2", 210 down to 180 at the end of the attempt. Vestibule the right size for my pack with my boots on top. Good ventilation - very weather resistant AFTER seam sealing. Many, many miles and nights. Bought several when they were on sale on Steep and Cheap - loaned a couple out, gave a couple away, etc. Have 2 in the garage.

Upgraded to this 2 years ago: http://lightheartgear.com/index.php/...-solong6-tents with LHG tent poles, 2 doors, awning. Incredible FOR ME. Pound + off the back, larger, better tent overall in my opinion. I'd like to try the cuben fiber version, but finances forbid it. Plus, my medical insurance does NOT cover irate spouse caused injuries.

Have come a long, long way from my first "real" camping tent -North Face Big Frog - to my current setup. Good luck with your adventure !
    Old Hiker
    AT Hike 2012 - 497 Miles of 2184
    AT Thru Hiker - 29 FEB - 03 OCT 2016 2189.1 miles
    Just because my teeth are showing, does NOT mean I'm smiling.
    Hányszor lennél inkább máshol?

Thanks for all your responses!

Sent from my ALCATEL ONE TOUCH 4037T using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    Thank you so much! I have a couple of possible uses for a 2 person tent which may never happen. That's why I'm still on the fence about a tent just for me or a tent for 2 people.
    Decisions. Decisions.

Wayne
    I weighed the TT Double Moment last night and it came to 3.9 lbs. That is seam sealed with the 2 set up poles and the optional carbon crosspole, and the 2 stakes, all in the original stuff sack. This does not include any footprint.
    " Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. "

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    No such thing as best.

What is most important to you?

weight?
    ease of set up?
    bombproof?
    price?

You must decide for yourself. Everything is a compromise.

For many hikers, weight trumps all when it comes to laying down miles. This works when you have shelters to fall back on in severe weather, or when hiking in forgiving climates where bad weather is rare.
    Ditto what MW says. I opted for an ultralight Zpacks Hexamid Soloplus for most of the AT. Reason? I wanted something uber-light to carry since I planned on using shelters for the most part. When the threat of nastier weather came in VT & points north, I decided to pick up a single-person freestanding tent (EMS Velocity 1). I worked good but it was much heavier than I would have liked (2 lb 15.2 oz + 5.1 oz footprint; I wanted to buy a Copper Spur UL-1 but the EMS store didn't have any).

Note: 152 day thru-hike & I only slept in a tent 14 nights.
    2013 AT Thru-hike: 3/21 to 8/19
    Schedule: https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...t1M/edit#gid=0

I used the BA Copper Spur UL2 the whole way. Never leaked- not once- awesome wet either tent. The poles seem complicated but they put themselves together almost. It was super easy to set up and take down. The 2 allowed room for all of my gear inside, including my pack, and comfortably. The poles had a problem 1000 or so miles in and they sent loaners and fixed the originals for me. Terrific tent. That said- if I did another hike, I would go lighter. I would shed weight from every piece of gear I did my AT thru with. Loved that tent- and if anyone wants to buy it I'll sell it for $150.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Lnj View Post
    I weighed the TT Double Moment last night and it came to 3.9 lbs. That is seam sealed with the 2 set up poles and the optional carbon crosspole, and the 2 stakes, all in the original stuff sack. This does not include any footprint.
    I was afraid it might be heavier than I was hoping for. What would I save if I only carried the one pole? The catalog says 3 pounds 4 ounces. Is that close?
    Thank you for help.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

I never buy a shelter that requires custom fit or curved poles. I never hike solo with a shelter that requires 2 trekking poles. Single wall shelters such as the SMD Lunar Solo perform well if pitched correctly to allow for proper ventilation. I want my solo shelter big enough to fit EVERYTHING into (not just into the vestibules) if need be. The SMD Lunar Solo offers a lot of utility with low weight and single pole design. In my opinion, SMD offer the best value, all things considered. Compared to other manufacturers they offer more floor space + lower weight to cost ratio. People who think an extra pound of shelter isn't a big deal haven't hiked much, every ounce counts. SMD LS with Ground Hog stakes, guy lines, stuff sack and polycro footprint comes in around 31 ounces.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by BonBon View Post
    I used the BA Copper Spur UL2 the whole way. Never leaked- not once- awesome wet either tent. The poles seem complicated but they put themselves together almost. It was super easy to set up and take down. The 2 allowed room for all of my gear inside, including my pack, and comfortably. The poles had a problem 1000 or so miles in and they sent loaners and fixed the originals for me. Terrific tent. That said- if I did another hike, I would go lighter. I would shed weight from every piece of gear I did my AT thru with. Loved that tent- and if anyone wants to buy it I'll sell it for $150.

What kind of shape is that tent in?Any holes,repairs ,or leaks?send me a pm,I may be interested,,,thank you..

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Venchka View Post
    I was afraid it might be heavier than I was hoping for. What would I save if I only carried the one pole? The catalog says 3 pounds 4 ounces. Is that close?
    Thank you for help.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Yeah, without the optional crosspole for freestanding, I bet it could drop to very near that. It's 3.9 with the pole, and I seam sealed it myself, so not the most professional job ever done for sure. You can have TT do it before they ship it to you for $30. I missed that button when I ordered mine, but it was easy and fast for me to do myself, so no big deal.
    " Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. "

what's the condition?

total trail weight?

was it the 2013 version?

thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by BonBon View Post

Thunder

Most people on here will have a different idea of what the best tent for the AT is, you should browse some of these suggestions and find what works for you, a camping store will also have some displays set up that will help you figure out what your looking for in a tent to thru hike with, by showing you what height and width you want in the tent, any tent can work for you as long as your willing to carry it
    Last edited by salsi; 10-30-2015 at 03:06.
    "In every walk with nature one receives more than he seeks." -John Muir
    "Because in the end you won't remember the time you spent working in an office or mowing your lawn. Climb that ******* Mountain!" - Jack Kerouac

So that settles it then? Hammocks are best?

Images

Quote Originally Posted by onecamper View Post
    So that settles it then? Hammocks are best?
    For the Long Green Tunnel, I think so. Trees are everywhere on the AT. Apart from rhododendron or otherwise very dense forests -- and apart from the Smokies -- you can pretty much hang wherever.

Out west, due to higher elevations, greater precedence of grass, and differences in tree types, I prefer a ground shelter.

:banana

Quote Originally Posted by Rebeka View Post
    hello WBlazers, I'm looking for opinions on the best type of tent for hiking thru on the AT. What's your favorite and why? I come from a very dry climate and haven't ever experienced the eastern forests.
    tyvm!

Never Give Up
    I mean, sometimes if I just need to try something out and see if I like it I buy it from REI. I've bought, and returned many things from REI, as long as you return within a year it shouldn't be a problem, though you will sometimes get weird looks. I try not to do this often but sometimes you just don't know what you like until you use it.

That said, my boyfriend and I share a zpacks Triplex and I can't recommend enough. absolutely the best money I've spent on gear, and they are super helpful/good customer service.

Quote Originally Posted by swjohnsey View Post
    Big Agnes Fly Creek UL1 is good enough for me, under 2 lbs, not crazy expensive, double wall, almost free standing, quick to set up and take down. Downside, front entry.
    +1, except the front entry does not bother me. Room for pack as long as I turn it sideways.
    The road to glory cannot be followed with much baggage.
    Richard Ewell, CSA General

This is what i'm bringing starting next march...Six Moons Design Lunar Solo LE

Quote Originally Posted by donthaveoneyet View Post
    The pole configuration on that thing makes me dizzy just looking at it. Canoed the Allagash with a guy who had one of these, and he loved it, and seemed to have no problem setting it up and taking it down. But seriously, that has to be the most complicated pole arrangement of any tent ever designed....

My Rainbow has one pole. It runs thru the middle line of the tent. Period.
    Ironically I had both tents (Rainbow 2, Copper Spur UL 1) set up in my living room, trying to decide between the two. If I was still in California (lived in the Sierra Nevada) I might have gone with the Rainbow 2, it seemed like a great tent. Living in Colorado, I chose the Copper Spur UL 1 because I deal with a lot of hail and high winds. I've owned the Copper Spur UL 1 for years now, and it's never let me down. In the Rockies, I'm usually trying to get set up before the afternoon monsoons hit. I've had to set it up pretty quickly. The pole system is actually incredibly easy to set up. It's all connected, you just snap it all together and it's simple to get the tent set up. I'm actually very impressed with it.

I can honestly say that the only reason I'd not get a Copper Spur UL 1 is if I wanted to get under 2 lbs and use a trekking pole tent. It's 44 oz (includes 8 MSR stakes, pole repair piece, poles, etc.), but that's the OLD version. The new version is supposedly 8 ounces lighter! For quick 1-night trips, I'm seriously tempted to get a Lightheartgear Solo to lighten the load. But the Spur has taken a pounding over and over again (powerful wind storms above treeline, pouring hail in lighting storms at 13,000, multi-day snow storms in the Wind River Range, etc.) and come out unscathed. Plenty of room. Had to wait out a major storm in it for over 24 hours in Wyoming, never got claustrophobic. All of my gear fits inside, and I carry almost 10lbs of photography gear. I really love it.

Come to think of it, maybe I can sell my current one and put that towards the newer, lighter version. The difference in weight between that and a seam-sealed LH Solo isn't too far off.

I know there are a little lighter options out there with some of the Zpaks tarps, etc. but I have really liked my MSR Hubba. It sets up fast and easy. You can even use it as just a rainfly if you want to quasi cowboy camp.
    Whether you think you can, or think you can't--you're right--Henry Ford; The Journey Is The Destination

Images

These are all good choices and the theme here is to go with what works best for YOU. My go to for long hikes is my Big Agnes Copper Spur 1, super light, compact, easy to set up and break down, and just enough space to keep my backpack inside with me. The mesh will keep the bugs/mice out and the rain fly will keep you dry. It's not the cheapest option by far but if you can find a closeout deal like I did, it's easier on the wallet!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Slo-go'en View Post

As for set up, not too difficult. Getting the pole length right is the trick. The pole spreader on the SMD is a bit floppy on the ends where the poles tips insert and that can be a little annoying and the whole thing wants to twist until you get the second pole in place. The LH probably has similar problems.
    The ridge pole on the LightHeart tent is a solid piece, so it is much more stable than the SMD set up.- it's patented, so SMD can't copy it.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
++ New Posts ++