WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Cheap Chinese gear...

We've had a couple of discussions on some of this stuff...a $30 pack, a $6 stove...name brand options are $30 or more, and the other day someone mentioned getting a flint and steel for under $2...looking on Amazon, sure enough, you can get one shipped from mainland China for $1.78 including shipping, which is 3 to 5 times cheaper than what is offered at Walmart.

It got me to thinking...what else is out there? What other gear can be had so cheap from China?

Quote Originally Posted by Bronk View Post
    We've had a couple of discussions on some of this stuff...a $30 pack, a $6 stove...name brand options are $30 or more, and the other day someone mentioned getting a flint and steel for under $2...looking on Amazon, sure enough, you can get one shipped from mainland China for $1.78 including shipping, which is 3 to 5 times cheaper than what is offered at Walmart.

It got me to thinking...what else is out there? What other gear can be had so cheap from China?
    Vibram discontinued the FiveFinger Trek shoe -- my favorite. I just found a Chinese knockoff version of the shoe for 1/3 the price of the real Vibrams when they discontinued them. I ordered a pair expecting them to be trash. I was pleasantly surprised. They are not exactly the same, but they are close enough that one has to look closely to tell the difference. Because of some subtle changes, the knock offs are actually more comfortable than the real ones.
    Shutterbug

Part of what you're seeing is step 2 of us (USA) shipping off all our manufacturing to China...
    One day the guy who makes all the stuff for 1/4 of the sale price says, "Hey, I'll just sell this stuff direct on Amazon".

I'd like to say you get what you pay for, but somethings (stoves especially) are simply exactly what you'd pay for; but with a different or no name brand. Of course with a brand you get customer service, returns, faster shipping, and many intangibles that go beyond "Buy 'Merican"

Some of this stuff is much like GoLite- they sold their pack to REI for $100, REI sold it to you for $200. One day GoLite said- hey I'll sell it to you for $100 and we both win. Same stuff- half off. Course GoLite went out of biz too.

Some of this stuff is garbage... but at least the gambles are inexpensive if you want to take them.

It ain't like there's a Walton sitting around making anything- they just sell $4 stuff for $3. Hell, most likely some smart fella in China figured they'd sell to you for $2 instead of to Wally world for fifty cents or less and even the bottom of the american barrell can be undercut.

A great deal of what is made in China is a knock-off of something made initially in the US, in some cases a downright theft of someone's hard creative work. I've dealt with Chinese manufacturers who agree to an exclusive on making a product for a US company, then just turn right around and sell it out the back door to anyone who will buy it. Sadly, I think we are way beyond trying to avoid Chinese made products. It's the Chinese Century, to coin a phrase. But I still prefer to "Buy American" when I can. (As a side note, not long ago I had to forbid my children from using the derogatory sounding word 'merican, as if it were somehow ignorant or redneck to even speak of our country. They heard it in school, I gather.)

Rant off. I'm pretty sure the keyboard I'm typing this on was made in China....

The biggest difference is warranty. You buy good, quality, gear and you do pay more for it, but with most brands, if something goes wrong, even years later, they take care of you. Good luck getting any of that with a made in China item.

The other thing is resale value. I might pay more for quality items, but I can also sell them for a pretty small discount if I want to - and for popular items they'll literally sell in a couple days (if that - many items from cottage manufacturers who usually have a pretty long wait is sold the same day; no kidding).

That being said, I have a metric crapton of China made stuff. I use it where I'll not be 20+ miles from civilization; but there's not many things I would take with me out in the wilderness (or at least abide by the 'two is one, one is none' mantra).

I'd really appreciate a link to that five finger trek shoe from China.

Quote Originally Posted by LAZ View Post
    I'd really appreciate a link to that five finger trek shoe from China.
    Here is the link: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Hot-Mens-Spo...oK0_rOnK4qAn4Q

The same shoe is listed at 19.95, but shipping make the total price similar. As you can see from the picture, it looks identical to the Trek, The real Trek was made from kangaroo leather. This shoe is made from fabric that looks very similar to the leather.
    Shutterbug

Quote Originally Posted by donthaveoneyet View Post
    A great deal of what is made in China is a knock-off of something made initially in the US, in some cases a downright theft of someone's hard creative work. I've dealt with Chinese manufacturers who agree to an exclusive on making a product for a US company, then just turn right around and sell it out the back door to anyone who will buy it. Sadly, I think we are way beyond trying to avoid Chinese made products. It's the Chinese Century, to coin a phrase. But I still prefer to "Buy American" when I can. (As a side note, not long ago I had to forbid my children from using the derogatory sounding word 'merican, as if it were somehow ignorant or redneck to even speak of our country. They heard it in school, I gather.)
    I agree that we should by the real product when we can, but in the case I mentioned, the product was discontinued. I bought every pair that I could find before turning to the knock off.

Rant off. I'm pretty sure the keyboard I'm typing this on was made in China....
    Shutterbug

++ New Posts ++