WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Chrome Dome integrated into shelter

Crazy?!? Probably. I was wanting to ask theoretically if and how a shelter could benefit from having an umbrella intergrated into its design similar to many tents that now have trekking poles integrated.

My initial thoughts were in using it at the apex so less fabric used but the savings would be minimal and there would be a bunch of issues regarding mounting and holding it in position. But what about using the umbrella for structure? Either collapsed or open it may solve the headroom/volume issue of trekking pole tents.

Thoughts, problems, solutions, crazy ideas....(please only helpful comments though .. if negative please add info to the conversation)
    AT (LASH) '04-'14

Images

I a way it is integrated into the shelter system without being so. I'm getting ready to get a Chrome dome equivalent and would use it to set up a shelter in the rain. That would be handy. the only further integration that I could think of would involve strapping it onto the pole that is near the opening to provide overhead protection as I was getting in and out. But I would rather have the umbrella off and with me vs. on the shelter when I got out so this doesn't even much appeal.

i do know hikers will use it with a flat tarp to provide protection on one of the ends. That would also work with a cat tarp as well.

I have seen photos of that umbrella stuck in front of those tents that don't have a rain cover over the door but just mesh.
    My opinion is that you still get drips and sprays inside and all you need is a gust of side winds to see your umbrella fly away.
    as for using it inside under the fly to prop them up you could have abrasion problems from the top knob and I would think the shaft will get in the way every time you try to move

Tarp users will stick an umbrella into the opening to keep spray out. Ray Jardine's UL book back in the 90's recommended that along with hiking with an umbrella for shade ( more a PCT thing than AT).

Bill Moss did it in the 1950s. Called a Pop Tent.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

You can still get "umbrella tents" right now but not the same thing as the OP is asking about .
    Those Bill Moss Pop Tents could not (reasonably) be used as an umbrella.
    They were around 15 lbs.

Seems like it would be very effective in a teepee type tent. Waterproof but ventilated.

"Seems like it would be very effective in a teepee type tent"
    If you are thinking as a cover for the top , to give an all around vent, keep in mind that wind is generally stronger the further you get from the ground.
    Wind conversion rate.gif

++ New Posts ++