WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Have to hike in June--what sections will be snow-free enough?

Hi, thanks in advance for your input! I'll have the month of June available--unfortunately can't do any later. While I'd love to do a complete thru-hike, I don't think that's in the cards at this junction of my life. What sections would be safe to plan on doing in June, approximately June 1-30 (could *maybe* push it one week later)? Maybe starting with Section 12? Or is there any sense in doing sections 1-5 then somehow getting to section 12+ or something?

FWIW, I'll be with a dog and a friend, and my goals are: ideally spend at least 20 days on the trail perhaps averaging 15ish miles per day, see spectacular scenery, have fun, challenge myself. Collegiate loop sounds great, but not long enough I think (can I add something on to it?), and perhaps the elevation is too high there for June as well.

Thanks for your help!

Getting out as much as I can..which is never enough. :) Mags's Avatar

Far too early to tell. May of 2015 was one of the wettest springs on record, for example. Even the lower sections were a sloppy mess for a while.

The first 3 segments might be good. After that???

At 15 MPD, you'll be 300 miles in on June 20th. You'll be at around 11k feet. People are still skiing then many seasons.

Generally speaking July 1st is the safest day for someone coming out of state. May want to think of a different trail to do.
    Last edited by Mags; 10-28-2015 at 16:40.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti
    http://pmags.com
    Twitter: @pmagsco
    Facebook: pmagsblog

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Thanks Mags! Not quite what I wanted to hear . I have been looking at other trails--Vermont Long Trail appeals to me, but looks icky in June too. Maybe Oregon Coast Trail, or some part of the PCT... I can also potentially be flexible and figure out where to head closer to the time. Thanks for your input!

CDT south of the deep snow line in Colorado into New Mexico. The Cumbres & Toltec train crosses CDT north of Chama, NM.

Wayne

Sent from somewhere around here.
    Eddie Valiant: "That lame-brain freeway idea could only be cooked up by a toon."
    https://wayne-ayearwithbigfootandbubba.blogspot.com
    FlickrMyBookTwitSpaceFace

Garlic
    Images

Consider the northern portion of the 800 mile Arizona Trail.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

Okay, thanks! Also now considering Virginia portion of AT. Or maybe I can push to July, would love to do CO someday!

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Mags View Post
    Far too early to tell. May of 2015 was one of the wettest springs on record, for example. Even the lower sections were a sloppy mess for a while.

The first 3 segments might be good. After that???

Generally speaking July 1st is the safest day for someone coming out of state. May want to think of a different trail to do.
    Yep. Early June is basically our favorite snow climbing season (couloirs). But every year can be quite different. I've had 2 separate friends in 2 separate years (one was 2013, one some years earlier) start on right about June 7th, and only had a bit of old snow to deal with.

BTW, the first 5 segments should be fine starting June 1. I personally thing mid-to-late June is the best time to start, though this year (2015) that was too early because of our epic May snow.

So, don't quite give up yet, wait and see how the snow builds up. In 2002, for example, one could probably hike the CT in May. Don't be offended if I say I hope we have another BIG snow year... really important out here for water (and skiing!).

Quote Originally Posted by colorado_rob View Post
    I personally thing mid-to-late June is the best time to start, though this year (2015) that was too early because of our epic May snow.

No doubt. But I think for people long term planning, esp out of state (coordination vacation time, air fare, possible pre-trip lodging), July 1st may be a safer date. Just for money reasons if anything.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

The true harvest of my life is intangible...a little stardust caught,a portion of the rainbow I have clutched -Thoreau

Images

No doubt. But I think for people long term planning, esp out of state (coordination vacation time, air fare, possible pre-trip lodging), July 1st may be a safer date. Just for money reasons if anything.
    Well, not sure what you mean by "safe". Dealing with a little bit of leftover ground snow might slow you down a tad starting earlier, but most years no biggie whatsoever. I gave many rides to folks this Epic-May-snow year, some of which were mid-June and a few of them made it all the way; they just dealt with the snow. If you get on the trail early enough in the morning you can many times just walk right on top of the packed-down stuff.

Plus, the weather is generally more stable in June than mid-late July, when the "typical" monsoon season starts. This reason alone makes it worthwhile to start a tad earlier, like mid-late June. Plus this maximizes daylight. Mid-June to mid-July is my favorite 4-5 weeks in Colorado for backpacking, hands down.

Well, not sure what you mean by "safe".

I think you answered your own question when you said "but most years no biggie whatsoever."

If you are out-of-state, and on a time crunch with limited vacation that must be planned out, (unlike a college student or a retiree), I personally would not want to count on what may or may not be optimal conditions for my hiking.

July 1st is a conservative date that will work all years esp for ones with typical three-season backpacking experience who may or may not be used to snow.

It is also what the Colorado Trail Foundation suggests.

That's my reasoning.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

Images

I think you answered your own question when you said "but most years no biggie whatsoever."

If you are out-of-state, and on a time crunch with limited vacation that must be planned out, (unlike a college student or a retiree), I personally would not want to count on what may or may not be optimal conditions for my hiking.

July 1st is a conservative date that will work all years esp for ones with typical three-season backpacking experience who may or may not be used to snow.

It is also what the Colorado Trail Foundation suggests.

That's my reasoning.
    Very typical, hyper-safe Whiteblaze thinking (and CT foundation thinking; I know a lot of those folks, nice folks, doing a great job, but always hyper-conservative on any advice). I thought you were more "adventurous" Mags. I guess not so much?

Anyway, I guess some folks have rigid schedules, some don't. One would generally know by April, maybe into May whether or not a CT hike starting in mid-June is reasonable (and I'd say 2/3rds of the years are for a mid-June start). Plenty of time to change things around for most folks. If you are hyper-rigid, then by all means, go for July 1.

As an aside, Southwest airlines, a major carrier in Denver, has zero change fees. I used them extensively doing my AT over the last couple of years, not knowing my return dates (or even sometimes, my start dates).

I don't think it's being hyper conservative Rob. It serves the most amount of people. You not being included in the "most. for you obviously seem advanced and experienced with snow travel, climbing, CO conditions, landscape familiarity, etc and have the luxury of greater spontaniety; not everyone is where you are at.

I'll agree with you about the WB crowd though.

Doing the Collegiate Loop in June would likely be adventurous.

An Oregon Coast Tr start in June would be money. Great hike. It's on my thru-hiking radar. Based on your daily goals and timeframe I don't think 20 days will suffice for a Oregon Coast Tr thru-hike.

AZT northern half for a similar start time would be very good too.

Do your PCT research. At that time of the yr in some yrs on some sections snow can linger into July. I'm not just talking about ankle deep patches either. It took me four separate attempts to do my missed PCT sections in northern Cali from Chester south to Truckee because of fires and snow in different yrs.

Heck, being in Davis CA ooh la la. Great location to look out in a 500-800 mile radius from with a slew of multi wk backpacking opps.

I thought you were more "adventurous" Mags. I guess not so much?

Anyway, I guess some folks have rigid schedules, some don't.

Rob,

Your second sentence answers the question much more fairly and is the reasoning for most people. Not for an experienced and retired person who lives in Colorado.

I know my friends with children have very strict schedules for example.

Since I live in Colorado, and I have no children, I otherwise agree with your sentiments and I am not questioning your logic or saying that you are wrong.

Thank you.

Paul
    Last edited by Mags; 11-05-2015 at 18:57.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

Images

Rob,

Your second sentence answers the question much more fairly and is the reasoning for most people. Not for an experienced and retired person who lives in Colorado.

I know my friends with children have very strict schedules for example.

Since I live in Colorado, and I have no children, I otherwise agree with your sentiments and I am not questioning your logic or saying that you are wrong.

Paul
    replying to both DW and Mags... I was talking about lesser-experienced people here, not myself. I teach all sorts of outdoor classes and deal with all levels of experience, from never hiked to wanna (and can) climb K2. We're really nit-picking here, and are probably mostly in agreement. If you are indeed completely rigid in schedule and cannot wait until late April or early May to make you plans, by all means, go with a July 1 start. Otherwise... even for relatively new hikers, mid-late June is a fantastic start time for most years.

So.... do you think kids' responsibility goes away when they are grown up and you're retired? Nope... my 4 kids and 3 grandkids keep me hopping more now than when I was working. Cest la vie!

BTW: now that the AT is complete, I do plan on a CT thru next June, starting as early as possible. But I hope for an Epic snow year nonetheless! Always trade-offs....

Very typical, hyper-safe Whiteblaze thinking (and CT foundation thinking; I know a lot of those folks, nice folks, doing a great job, but always hyper-conservative on any advice). I thought you were more "adventurous" Mags. I guess not so much?

Anyway, I guess some folks have rigid schedules, some don't. One would generally know by April, maybe into May whether or not a CT hike starting in mid-June is reasonable (and I'd say 2/3rds of the years are for a mid-June start). Plenty of time to change things around for most folks. If you are hyper-rigid, then by all means, go for July 1.

As an aside, Southwest airlines, a major carrier in Denver, has zero change fees. I used them extensively doing my AT over the last couple of years, not knowing my return dates (or even sometimes, my start dates).
    Southwest wanted a fortune to push back date for my JMT return flight out of Reno...that's why I humped the bigger mile days...I'm too cheap..you have to pay the difference in fares.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Journal Entries
    Images

From NH-Vt, line South. Your thought of Va. sounds good except the AT will be crowded. Maybe BMT?

Quote Originally Posted by lemon b View Post
    From NH-Vt, line South. Your thought of Va. sounds good except the AT will be crowded. Maybe BMT?
    Hi Lemon,

The OP was discussing The Colorado Trail.

Cheers!

Paul
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

Thanks everyone! I think Lemon was responding to me saying maybe I'd look into Virginia AT or elsewhere for June. I'd never heard of the BMT--looks gorgeous. Any idea if it's dog friendly? That wasn't obvious to me in my 1 minute search that I have time for right now

Regardless, I still think Colorado Trail is top of my list if I can make it happen. And I can potentially make some decisions in April when snowpack etc becomes more clear. I'm a *little* flexible. It's just that I'm graduating from vet school in May, and having already spent 4 years making minimal money, I feel like I should take the month to hike that I want, then get down to business. But I guess I have the rest of my life for that... so I'll see what job prospects are like and whatnot, and whether I can push to mid-June or later.

Anyway, thank you all so much for your thoughts, very helpful!

Ah..makes more sense. On a fairly regular basis, we get people who think we are discussing the Connecticut portion on the AT.

If you haven't already, I suggest joining both the Colorado Trail Foundation and the Colorado Trail Class of 2016 pages on Facebook. Bill Manning, director at The CTF, regularly posts there, and there is often great and updated info for snow travel. If you are not on Facebook, the main Colorado Trail page is open to the public (NO FB membership needed). The 2016 page is currently public, too. Great way to "meet" people too, get possible shuttle hook ups and so on.
    Last edited by Mags; 11-09-2015 at 17:42.
    Paul "Mags" Magnanti

Awesome advice Mags, thank you!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++