WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Starchild View Post
    I have use them and they do mysteriously work very well. How that happens I have several explanations for but the following is the easiest for many people to understand:

Our sub-conscience perceives things that we don't in our conscience mind. Dowsing is a way to get the put the conscience mind off the the side and let our sub-conscience mind take primary control. The dowsing tool (no matter what it is) is the physical signaling device to our conscience mind that our sub-conscience mind has picked up on something. The idea is we do give off cues based on our sub-conscience, that can effect what we physically do, the dousing rod (or again whatever) is the notifier.

Now how we interpreter the meaning of what the dowsing device is doing is a learning process, to help us understand what our sub-conscience mind is perceiving. As we practice it more we get better understanding of what those signals mean and where to go and look. Or sub-conscience itself may also be learning better how to communicate what it wants to IDK.

Not that this is the only definition, as we can go into electromagnetic energy vibrations and the like, or ghosts or a angel pulling it, but the above potential explanation is one I know of that can help make sense of how it may work using what we do know.

But with that said, there are times that it moves so dramatically and consistently over an area that the alien with a personal cloaking device using a tractor beam seems like the only logical answer. So the only way to really find out if it works is simply try it for yourself, not try to understand why, for your understanding as to how something works does not change if it works.

Hope this helps.
    It sounds as though most of this edges into the world of the paranormal or supernatural. While I am a religious person, this stuff seems more closely aligned with the "dark side" (along with the Ouija board). Wikipedia defines it as a type of divination. Why would the remains of a person buried 100 or more years ago turn a rod? Would the rods turn for buried feces? For a dog or a beetle?

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    It sounds as though most of this edges into the world of the paranormal or supernatural. While I am a religious person, this stuff seems more closely aligned with the "dark side" (along with the Ouija board). Wikipedia defines it as a type of divination. Why would the remains of a person buried 100 or more years ago turn a rod? Would the rods turn for buried feces? For a dog or a beetle?
    The freedom I experience in my faith includes the ultimate level of protection afforded, which I believe I am suppose to use - as for that's why I was so gifted, not doing so allows darkness a foothold and is me squandering my gift so freely given to me. In that also the responsibility not to harm other's on their journey. If your faith does not allow it I would encourage you then not to do it.

To me the door to light and dark spring from the intent of the heart, not the act itself. As such nothing done in Love is ultimately dark, though one can certainly make mistakes (as we are all children after all). It is ultimately the intent of heart that matters and all that is ultimately seen, the heart's intention alone makes it light or dark and opens the door to either. I was given this freedom so I can spread the light side into the darkness, I feel the light side is suppose to participate, and not allow darkness a stronghold (OK off my soapbox now)

As for a natural explanation, when land is disturbed we can perceive it. It is a wilderness skill, some hikers can easily find old roads and other areas that the earth was moved (while for many others this may go totally unnoticed unless pointed out), it does not seem implausible that one could also tune into the location of a abandoned cemetery. That tuning in may be better done at the subconscious level, our conscience minds also takes a lot of shortcuts, filling in details from how we expect things to be, and leaving out things we are not used to.

This is the reason behind those 'Look' signs for motorcycles, they are not 'normal' on the road, our conscience mind tends to eliminate them from our vision. And The famous myth of the invisible ship (if it is true or not the point is the same) : http://www.northcoastjournal.com/hum...nt?oid=2129921
    Just perhaps our subconsciousness mind can perceive more then we can.

As for your question of what could be detected, turd, or whatever, IDK.

Quote Originally Posted by illabelle View Post
    I also am skeptical of the dowsing rods, simply because I've never heard a plausible explanation for how they work. In this case, our guide, Mike, had been to the cemetery previously, and was relying on GPS information given him by someone else, Pete, who had explored the area with a descendant back in the 70's. The descendant had knowledge of the cemetery passed down to him. I have to admit it was a little eerie to see the rods turn over the graves with no action on the part of the guy holding them.

A bit less believable was a second cemetery that our guide had not been able to find on a previous trip. He had GPS coordinates for it, and notes from Pete, who had done extensive work cataloging and documenting remnants of human habitation with the GSMNP, so he knew where to look. But these were not so clearly marked, and like the stones in the OP's photos, they were beside a stream. Still, the rods did turn here just like they did at the first cemetery. The side-by-side layout strongly suggested human involvement.
    I came across this book which was written by the late Elizabeth Lloyd Mayer, Ph.D.

Her general concept of life was turned upside down in 1991 when her daughter's Harp was stolen...long story short she resorted (kind of as a joke) to a Dowser and basically he found it.

Very interesting read: Title: Extraordinary Knowing
    (Subtitle: Science, Skepticism and the Inexplicable Powers of the Human Mind)
    http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_1gofwyozyk_b

Here's a video of her talking about her experience, unfortunately the sound quality isn't the greatest... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AClVSWvNsWw

P.S. Not really an explanation of how dowsing rods work, I still maintain that I believe it's more about our incredible minds, but that's the best I can do. I also believe that there is probably no one that really understands this stuff, but that is getting us into a far deeper discussion... My only point in this is to share that there is something very special beyond the conventional.

It's really very simple. If you think dowsing rods are effective, you need only to do a scientifically valid experiment that supports your hypothesis, and then publish it in an accepted, peer reviewed journal, at which point you will become very famous. If you can't do that, then you are in good company, joining thousands of people who have also failed. You are nevertheless still free to believe in dowsing rods if you want to, but with no legitimate claim that they are scientifically valid.

Journal Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Pedaling Fool View Post
    Her general concept of life was turned upside down in 1991 when her daughter's Harp was stolen...long story short she resorted (kind of as a joke) to a Dowser and basically he found it.

Here's a video of her talking about her experience, unfortunately the sound quality isn't the greatest... https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AClVSWvNsWw
    Fascinating story, PF. It's difficult for people in this modern time to acknowledge that some things defy explanation and seem to contradict reality. If we can't understand it, it must not be so.
    Thanks for the followup and link.

Quote Originally Posted by Odd Man Out View Post
    It's really very simple. If you think dowsing rods are effective, you need only to do a scientifically valid experiment that supports your hypothesis, and then publish it in an accepted, peer reviewed journal, at which point you will become very famous. If you can't do that, then you are in good company, joining thousands of people who have also failed. You are nevertheless still free to believe in dowsing rods if you want to, but with no legitimate claim that they are scientifically valid.
    You should read the Foreword of the book, written by Freeman Dyson. http://www.amazon.com/s/?ie=UTF8&key...l_1gofwyozyk_b

I find myself in total agreement with his viewpoint on this and I'm ok with dowsing rods never being scientifically proven; however, I will emphasize, it's not about the dowsing rods, but that other stuff is also not scientifically valid

Dowsing is one of those things that kind of defies both science and religion. It cannot be demonstrated it works, until it does and is difficult to explain the mechanics of. Its a little like intuition, we all experience this (or most anyway) yet its difficult to demonstrate it works and difficult to explain.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by Spacelord View Post
    I'll buy into the thought that you may have found some graves... But dowsing rods have to be on step below Ouija boards on the list of tools I trust.
    I agree. Both being influence by the dark side, the adversary, satan, devil and any other name you can apply to that force ;-)

What may be far more important is that you Pedaling Fool, as one constantly pulling up older threads, PLEASE SHARE with all of us how you find these threads? HOW do you do your searches? Seems, LOTS of folks are constantly complaining about how they can't search or find information for themselves.

I didn't read the book cover to cover but did have it and liked wht I read and considered of it. I've seen the vid before and enjoyed it. Anyone open to a greater awareness and expanding established intellectual comfort zones by questioning the validity of commonly accepted norms, even if they be scientific norms, I enjoy.

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Around here we call the plain stones that mark graves Slave Stones. I have found old cemeteries in the woods with these stones, they are always evenly spaced and in line. The OP's picture seems to show the stones in a more random pattern.
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Journal Entries

i really was not happy at all with the water quality at lance creek on my 1015 attempt

GA-ME 2011
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by PegLegDave View Post
    i really was not happy at all with the water quality at lance creek on my 1015 attempt
    Well that was a thousand years ago
    "Chainsaw" GA-ME 2011

Journal Entries

I recall lance creek being pretty big with lots of water flowing rapidly and making a lot of noise.
    I prefer springs to surface water, but creeks like that usually at least LOOK good.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++