WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Getting to Georgia with dog

So I'm planning my 2017 thru and my genius mom asks me, "how you and Muppet getting to Georgia?"

lol I hadn't even thought of that yet. So -any advice on getting from Connecticut to Georgia with a little 42lb dog?
    ~CynJ

"The reward of a thing well done is to have done it." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Do you really want to torture your dog on the AT? Why?

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    He'll figure that out soon enough. You pretty much gotta talk mom into driving you down there or spend a lot of money. Okay, both.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

Last I checked I posted this question in the dog forum - you know the one with the sticky that says, "The purpose of the forum is not to debate the whole topic of dogs on the trail. If your aim is to do so, please go to The general forum or poll forum or something. Otherwise stay away from these threads."

~CynJ

Quote Originally Posted by CynJ View Post
    Last I checked I posted this question in the dog forum - you know the one with the sticky that says, "The purpose of the forum is not to debate the whole topic of dogs on the trail. If your aim is to do so, please go to The general forum or poll forum or something. Otherwise stay away from these threads."

Let the bashing begin...some arseholes don't read the sticky time and time again..don't listen to the negative bs....as long as your considerate and watch out for your dogs best interests don't sweat it!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Images

drive there, leave car and take the train back to get it later.
    I'm so confused, I'm not sure if I lost my horse or found a rope.

Images

You still have some time yet but I would rent a car or have a family member drop me off, Enjoy your hike with your dog - There is no greater hiking partner.

Well, you could walk. ; - )

Images

The good news is that you still have a little time to work on this "minor" detail.

Check around with friends and family to see if someone might be willing to help you out.
    Check with any local hiking clubs to see if anyone else is planning an AT hike in 2017 - Maybe they want to carpool?
    Start a 2017 NOBO AT thread and see if anyone from your area responds and doesn't mind helping you out.

One thing that might help is if you put a face to the pooch. The general description of "42lb dog" isn't too descriptive. However, posting a pic at the same time as you ask...that is far more likely to get you a ride. Well, unless your dog answers to the name "Cujo." People are far more likely to offer a ride if they can see your well-behaved and happy dog ahead of time.

Good luck and have an awesome time out there!

Quote Originally Posted by CynJ View Post
    So I'm planning my 2017 thru and my genius mom asks me, "how you and Muppet getting to Georgia?"

lol I hadn't even thought of that yet. So -any advice on getting from Connecticut to Georgia with a little 42lb dog?
    Rent a car.

thought the OP posted about logistics. I want to torture my dog on the AT because honestly i hate my dog and cant wait for her to die. Mostly just want to piss other thruhikers off.

It looks like doing a one-way car rental is gonna be the way to go. I scoped out Avis for Feb of 2016 and a rental picking up on the 15th and dropping off on the 18th (gives me lots of time to make the drive - maybe even too much) - I can do a small SUV for about $410 which would be perfect. Cheaper than trying to fly with her and far less stressful for both of us.

Buy a couple cheap blankets at Goodwill to keep the doghair off the seats (lol groan -I would own a white dog!) that I can pitch when I reach GA.

I can't imagine the prices being jacked up all that much by 2017.
    ~CynJ

Quote Originally Posted by Wooobie View Post
    Rent a car.

thought the OP posted about logistics. I want to torture my dog on the AT because honestly i hate my dog and cant wait for her to die. Mostly just want to piss other thruhikers off.
    At least you are being honest!!

Journal Entries

Say its a service dog, take greyhound.

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    Let the fun begin!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I would suggest you also bear in mind that you may need to send your dog home from the trail. Or at least let him rest for a while. Do you have friends or family near the AT who would be willing to keep your dog for a week or two while it rests and heals up sore feet? Although some dogs thrive when hiking every day, a lot need to take breaks either because of midsummer heat or Pennsylvania rocks or NH rock climbing. Dogs can also get both Giardia and Lyme. Make sure you have enough money to get your dog home if necessary and to pay for vet care.

Quote Originally Posted by Spirit Walker View Post
    I would suggest you also bear in mind that you may need to send your dog home from the trail. Or at least let him rest for a while. Do you have friends or family near the AT who would be willing to keep your dog for a week or two while it rests and heals up sore feet? Although some dogs thrive when hiking every day, a lot need to take breaks either because of midsummer heat or Pennsylvania rocks or NH rock climbing. Dogs can also get both Giardia and Lyme. Make sure you have enough money to get your dog home if necessary and to pay for vet care.
    Oh absolutely! I'm already working on contingencies for this. Especially money for emergency vet needs- that can eat up a hike nest egg in a heartbeat.

My dogs are family - and spoiled rotten. I think if I find that she can't continue I would get off the trail for a few days and do the car rental again to bring her home.

muppetandme.jpg
    ~CynJ

Renting a car would be the best option for cost, though you will have some local logistical problems once you get the car returned in GA. Cost varies between rental car agencies from $425 for a sub compact car to $550 for something slightly larger, for a three day trip. If you aren't 25, you'll need to do something else of course.

Claiming the dog is a service animal is low end and erodes the ability of those who need service animals from having them. Avoid that route.

You probably already know you will have to kennel your dog at GSMNP and/or have it shuttled around the park, and it cannot go into Baxter State park.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by AT Traveler View Post
    Renting a car would be the best option for cost, though you will have some local logistical problems once you get the car returned in GA. Cost varies between rental car agencies from $425 for a sub compact car to $550 for something slightly larger, for a three day trip. If you aren't 25, you'll need to do something else of course.

Claiming the dog is a service animal is low end and erodes the ability of those who need service animals from having them. Avoid that route.

You probably already know you will have to kennel your dog at GSMNP and/or have it shuttled around the park, and it cannot go into Baxter State park.

Good luck!
    lol twenty-five was long time ago No worries there - just have to remember to include a copy of my car insurance policy on my iPhone in case I need to rent down south.

I've been looking at the options for GSMNP and will probably make the decision on where to board her next year- a lot of businesses can change between now and then. And I'm actually considering leaving her home once I hit Connecticut (or have my husband pick her up at the MA/VT border before I get really far north).

I worked with people with disabilities for far too long to even think about trying to pull one over that she's a service dog. That is just SO disrespectful for the folks that actually *need* their dogs to have any independence. Muppet will have her Canine Good Citizen certification by then though, and will have a patch on her pack
    ~CynJ

Quote Originally Posted by MuddyWaters View Post
    I was waiting for that.
    I did not say it.
    Be honest, please.

Journal Entries

I was waiting for that.
    I did not say it.
    Be honest, please.
    It will only be through continued abuses that the stupid laws get changed to where people cant pretend anymore. Abusing the current laws will hasten this. I dont view it as bad, abuse is rampant already. It will hasten BETTER laws and certifications, which is what I think is needed.

So by all means, abuse the hell out of the current ridiculous system where businesses are afraid to ask. In the long run, it will be in everyones interest.
    ...except the people who like exploiting it to travel with pets.
    Last edited by MuddyWaters; 11-07-2015 at 02:35.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++