Default water from fire tanks?

I wanted to do a little Sierra hiking, but missed that window for this year. So, started looking south and decided I might try the southern part of PCT -- Campo and maybe all the way to Warner Springs. I notice that sometimes the water supply comes from fire tanks. I'm not familiar with this, so couple of questions:
    1) I assume these just have faucets you can turn with just your hand, right? No wrenches needed, hopefully!
    2) Does this water need to be filtered?
    Thanks!

I never came across tanks that required special tools to operate. I did filter all the water coming from tanks. Check pctwater.com before deciding to rely on any tanks - hopefully the sobos going through have sent in water reports.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee:2016487
    I never came across tanks that required special tools to operate. I did filter all the water coming from tanks. Check pctwater.com before deciding to rely on any tanks - hopefully the sobos going through have sent in water reports.
    Thanks. Pctwater.com is where I got this info about the tanks. Great information there.

Many of the tanks, you open the lid and get water from the top. I remember one having a normal facet attached. Some times a rat gets in and drowns, so always treat it.

Quote Originally Posted by Miner:2016539
    Many of the tanks, you open the lid and get water from the top. I remember one having a normal facet attached. Some times a rat gets in and drowns, so always treat it.
    Dead rats? GREAT!! I'm getting sick already!
    But thanks. This sounds like a case for both filter and chemicals.

Sometimes it is better not to know. I think it was Willow Spring - I got water from it (very low in the cistern above the tank) and a few days later pulled up the water report to read that a dead bird that had been there for a while was pulled out after the date that I was there.

DSC07039.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by jefals View Post
    Dead rats? GREAT!! I'm getting sick already!
    But thanks. This sounds like a case for both filter and chemicals.
    By the sound of it you haven't done a hike in the west and mid west HAVING to obtain water from a cow pond, cow trough, Wildlife Guzzler or wildlife water retention pond or drink dank mineralized desert water from a source that has been stagnant for who knows when. Sometimes you have to swish away the dead/living insects, algae and slime floating on the water, avoid scooping up frogs, tadpoles, little fish, living insect larvae, while avoiding being latched onto by a snake, Gila monster, scorpion, mound of fire ants, wasps, etc.

Images

Sometimes it can be a bit of a challenge getting to the water. the tank just south of scissors crossing required tying a cord to my water bottle and dropping it in.

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    Sometimes it can be a bit of a challenge getting to the water. the tank just south of scissors crossing required tying a cord to my water bottle and dropping it in.
    Reminds me of some tank water sources on the PCT, CDT, GET, AZT, HDT, etc wondering what the heck was floating down there on the water's surface. Upon closer inspection it was other people bottles. Oops guess I didn't tie the bottle on well enough or should have used a reliable cord.

Pretty much every one of the "guzzlers" on the PCT in Southern California seem to have had reports of various issues with animals falling in, etc. At the end of the day you either accept less than pristine water (and treat it!) or face some very very long water carries. I will say that none of the water I drank *tasted* weird, but some of it did look less than ideal. I never got sick filtering with my Sawyer.

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee:2016662
    Pretty much every one of the "guzzlers" on the PCT in Southern California seem to have had reports of various issues with animals falling in, etc. At the end of the day you either accept less than pristine water (and treat it!) or face some very very long water carries. I will say that none of the water I drank *tasted* weird, but some of it did look less than ideal. I never got sick filtering with my Sawyer.
    Yes, I'm definitely filtering. Maybe add some drops or tablets, too

PCT 2013, most of AT 2011, rest of AT 2014

I never got sick despite not filtering or treating anything from the tanks, cisterns, guzzlers, etc. in Southern California, but YMMV. Every one of them was functioning as advertised in the water report.
    "Hahk your own hahk." - Ron Haven

"The world is a book, of which those who do not travel read only a page." - St. Augustine

http://www.scrubhiker.com/

Garlic
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    By the sound of it you haven't done a hike in the west and mid west HAVING to obtain water from a cow pond, cow trough, Wildlife Guzzler or wildlife water retention pond or drink dank mineralized desert water from a source that has been stagnant for who knows when. Sometimes you have to swish away the dead/living insects, algae and slime floating on the water, avoid scooping up frogs, tadpoles, little fish, living insect larvae, while avoiding being latched onto by a snake, Gila monster, scorpion, mound of fire ants, wasps, etc.
    You forgot to mention shouldering through a bull herd to get to the tank. Remove your red bandanna first.
    "Throw a loaf of bread and a pound of tea in an old sack and jump over the back fence." John Muir on expedition planning

++ New Posts ++