WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default poncho tarp? problems?

been considering switching from my the ENO tarp I've been using (on the ground) to just using my rain poncho to save weight. the poncho I have is an old military poncho. anyone have any problems with this doing this?

did you inspect it? my old poncho is full of pin holes from pushing through brush

Depends. I often hike with just my poncho tarp as shelter and raingear in summer months down south here. This is when I plan on shelter-hopping. Not many people on the trail as compared to thru hiker season, so the chances of getting a spot are very high. I don't use a poncho tarp all the time, just on certain short section hikes. I use an MLD Pro Poncho. Your old military poncho may be as heavy or heavier than your tarp and may also be quite small.

When traveling on my own, my primary rain gear and shelter is my poncho. I carry a piece of Tyvek, a SOL heatsheet or other light piece of plastic as a ground sheet to use under my poncho. I am very fond of this simple and light and highly effective setup, even in spring and fall, except when I expect extremely inclement weather when I will take a larger tarp for a more expansive shelter and then use my poncho as just raingear.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

My suggestion would be for you to wait for the next rainy day where you are and then go out and set it up and see how it works for you.

Quote Originally Posted by Franco View Post
    My suggestion would be for you to wait for the next rainy day where you are and then go out and set it up and see how it works for you.
    And, it might take two or three rainy days/nights to get your pitch(s) and gear organization dialed in. You'll get damp. The trick is to stay dry enough, and not to think you'll ever be truly dry. If "dry enough" isn't good enough for you, a poncho tarp is not for you.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

++ New Posts ++