WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Hiking with a mental disability

I have several questions and hope someone can help. My wife is on federal disability for mental reasons. She's diagnosed paranoid schizophrenic. She's been cleared by her shrink to hike the trail. I'm wondering if anyone has experience with the disability aspect of this. We called our local SSI office last week asking if hiking the trail would constitute fraud and of course the lady who answered the phone couldn't answer that. Her doctor cleared her but knows nothing about how the fed disability system works. Surely someone has experience with this. Has this been done and how did it work out?

You'll get a ton of opinions from the peanut gallery here, but do yourself and your wife a favor and consult an attorney that specializes in disability law. Asking a bunch of anonymous unqualified people for advice on a legal matter is not the way to go where there are potentially serious legal and financial consequences.

People with severe disabilities which genuinely prevent them from working are able to do all kinds of things. See a disability advocate group for how to deal with SSI. This should be doable.
    "It's fun to have fun, but you have to know how." ---Dr. Seuss

I'll echo what others have said about not really relying on a bunch of faceless internet people, but I'll put in something anyway. I met 2 people during my thru who confided in me they were diagnosed PS, I met both very early on and I know for a fact neither of them continued much farther. There could have been others that I never heard of that did much better, I don't know. Not trying to discourage you or your wife, but you asked for thoughts.
    There's no reward at the end for the most miserable thru-hiker.
    After gear you can do a thru for $2,000.
    No training is a substitute for just going and hiking the AT. You'll get in shape.

I wouldn't dream of taking my wife on the trail if she wasn't prepared mentally or physically. Its good insight to hear yalls opinions though. I do appreciate the time you guys took to respond. My wife has been on a great medication for the last three years that has greatly reduced the hallucinations she suffers from. We've gone on two extended camping trips this past year to test her ability to cope with seclusion. She's responded very well. Sell enough in fact that her doctors has reduced the mg of her meds. Speaking personally I can tell a difference in how she responds in the woods as opposed to environments such as WalMart or the mall. The difference is night and day. Because she has always loved nature, camping and hiking she relaxes in the wilderness where as in town in public places she at times will suffer from anxiety attacks and such. These are some of the reasons her phycologists thinks this will be very healthy for her. I had another WB member private message me who claims to be an attorney who said with her doctors approval there is no legal ramifications concerning her SSI benifits. I'm calling her tomorrow when she's in her office to obtain more information and some tips concerning paperwork. She wishes to remain anonymous in my thread but there are absolute steller people on this site. Thanks again guys with the positive responses. Blaze on!

I echo the sentiment of consulting an attorney who specializes in disability law as far as the benefits go. I would also recommend bringing a copy of your marriage license and/or a durable power of attorney just on the off chance that you might need them.

The other thing I would point out is something that happened with my bi-polar brother when he started hitting the gym religiously and working out with a personal trainer- his med levels (which had been previously rock steady) went a little wonky as his body went through some changes. I don't know if it can be the same for those with p.s. or not, but I would maybe talk to her doc about it and make some contingencies for if you need to have medication adjustments while on the trail.

The different schedule you're going to keep, the different foods you're going to eat, all the new people and places, the stress of making it to the end, not to mention the effect of the exercise itself can all impact someone with a mental illness. I think you both should be aware of that (especially you as may need to have a check in conversation with her to see where her head is at from time to time - I do this with my brother when I know stressful things are going on around him).

Best of luck!!
    ~CynJ

"The reward of a thing well done is to have done it." - Ralph Waldo Emerson

Images

Do you have a handicap sticker for your car? You never know, an AT thruhike could be therapeutic. Maybe, you could get it prescribed.

Lol her physician told her she should get one for premo parking spots but my wife laughed and admitted that its just wrong. She's physically fine. Admittedly though sometimes it's tempting to scoop one up but then when you see certain people who have handicapped parking permits literally skipping into the store you realize some people abuse it and ruin it for those who legitimately need those spots.

Images

So, IMHO and with zero medical/legal credentials, I don't know why there would be any legal problem with hiking the Trail. The disability isn't physical in nature. Like I said, I think the hike could be therapeutic.

To basically close this thread out, we had a meeting with my wife's case worker today and she was given the greenlight. So we are super excited. Thanks again for all the replys. See you on the trail!

There is a group called Hiking for Mental Health, google or facebook. They could be a good resource.
    "You don't have to think fast if you move slow" Red Green

One last bit of input is I know you said she doesn't do well in places like walmart and the mall, if this is because the amount of people def consider a sobo or a flip flop type hike to avoid the crowds. Getting into the nobo bubble might be to many people.

Quote Originally Posted by Lambo View Post
    One last bit of input is I know you said she doesn't do well in places like walmart and the mall, if this is because the amount of people def consider a sobo or a flip flop type hike to avoid the crowds. Getting into the nobo bubble might be to many people.
    I was just thinking this.... Even if you do not start with the bubble, you will want to have a contingency plan in place in case you end up with a sizeable group...

I would think, if you run into a crowded shelter campsite, you could remember that pretty spot you saw to return there for the night for camping and enjoying the sunset or the evening on your own, that or set up your tent away from the crowd.

I would think SOBO or starting in the middle would be better for avoiding the crowd.

Registered User dudeijuststarted's Avatar
    Images

I hiked for a few days with a gentleman who was on heavy medication for what I'm assuming was schizophrenia. He lost his medicine several times and things did not go well. He was concerning shelters full of people by saying very bizarre things and confusing other people for me. It's an open, understanding social environment but its still fragile and people need to feel safe out there. Most hikers have an objective and aren't likely to take on caring for others that aren't ready for the trail for a long-haul. If you're being treated for mental illness, you've really got to have your ducks in a row with keeping track of your medicine. Dedicated caregivers are equally responsible.

Thanks for all the input guys.

jdavis,

I don't understand why SS would even have to know you and your wife are hiking the AT, unless her renewal interview for disability is scheduled for the time of your hike. Why do they have to know? Seems to me this is something only to be shared among family and physician.

Your probably on your way to the AT now. I hope the two of you have a swell time.

I know I am late to this party, but in regards to your concern about SSI fraud, that should only be a factor in the case of a physical disability that qualified her for SSI/SSDI. Keep her on her meds, and keep an eye out for the things you know are signs of a relapse, and you should be good to go. Hope your hike went well.

Like others have said, having a disability doesn't mean you have to be a shut in for the rest of your life. People have all kinds of disabilities that prevent them from holding a regular job, but that doesn't mean they aren't capable of doing SOMETHING. I know someone who has been on disability for a very long time and he built a 10,000 square foot house all by himself. It took him 10 years to do it. Some people look at his house and say he shouldn't be on disability. But the fact is that no contractor would hire him. He has severe back and knee problems, so he might work for 10 or 15 minutes and then take a 20 minute break. But through persistence over a long period of time he has been able to get the house built.

Quote Originally Posted by Connie View Post
    . . . I would think SOBO or starting in the middle would be better for avoiding the crowd.
    Something to keep in mind hiking SOBO (or anyplace "against the flow") is that, although you avoid the crowds at the start and end, you will be passing the crowds in the middle and see way more people walking the trail than if you are hiking in the same direction as the crowd.

100 people on a stretch of trail all going the same direction at a similar speed can hike that stretch seeing almost nobody and feel very alone. Someone hiking the same stretch of trail at the same time with the same people on it, but hiking in the opposite direction will pass every one of those 100 people and feel like the trail is intolerably populated.
    I'm not lost. I'm exploring.

++ New Posts ++