WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Unfortunate situation, but I would hope a single (possibly malicious) incident wouldn't color your impressions of the trail too negatively.

Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by ocourse View Post
    The reality is that hikers aren't more honest or more dishonest than any other group.
    I sincerely think they are more honest than most -- atleast around here.

Quote Originally Posted by rickb View Post
    I sincerely think they are more honest than most -- atleast around here.
    Thats always the impression that I always got. I once lost my headlamp while hiking in virginia. And another hiker let me borrow theirs because I wanted to do Damascus dash. I then left their lamp at Mt Rogers for them to pick up.

Could also have been a case of Larry thinking Moe left behind his poles and "I'll catch up with him tonight, boy wont he be glad I picked up his forgotten poles for him!". By the way, "where" did you leave these poles - you were kind of vague about that?
    Last edited by scrabbler; 11-11-2015 at 21:17.

Quote Originally Posted by PAFranklin View Post
    Not advice I would give to my daughter hiking the trail. Put your trail name on it. Maybe paint a bight band so you can ID at a distance. At that point if someone wants to steal it that's the way it goes.
    Fair enough. You're right. I did not think it through enough. I have blue and yellow tape on mine.

Quote Originally Posted by scrabbler View Post
    Could also have been a case of Larry thinking Moe left behind his poles and "I'll catch up with him tonight, boy wont he be glad I picked up his forgotten poles for him!". By the way, "where" did you leave these poles - you were kind of vague about that?
    They were propped up in the entrance of the shelter pretty much next to where I was laying down.

It's very possible that one person left with the wrong poles and their buddy picked em up. It's not quite a theory totally without blame (As the poles possibly could still be returned) but it's better than theft. I know of a few times this year I hauled someones poles back to em.

Let's not just assume theft. I doubt it's the most likely culprit.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

Call it, "Creative Acquisition"

I painted the top of one grip red finger nail polish the other blue. The straps are different so I know right from left. I also know they are my poles.

Registered User Different Socks's Avatar
    Images

If other hikers had no poles, and the others did, AND the others saw that all the poles were there in the in the beginning and there was one pair left when everyone else left, then my belief is your poles were absconded.

That's silly. Not everyone (Myself included) is paying attention to whose carrying poles or how many poles were there to begin with. If I see a friend's gear though, I'm bringing it to them. It doesn't mean anyone got their stuff jacked, it just means someone made a mistake.

Mix ups and mistakes are more common than theft. Theft is of course a possibility, but it's absurd to assume theft or even a high probability of a theft.

Quote Originally Posted by Frye View Post
    That's silly. Not everyone (Myself included) is paying attention to whose carrying poles or how many poles were there to begin with. If I see a friend's gear though, I'm bringing it to them. It doesn't mean anyone got their stuff jacked, it just means someone made a mistake.

Mix ups and mistakes are more common than theft. Theft is of course a possibility, but it's absurd to assume theft or even a high probability of a theft.

When you take gear to your friend and they say its not theirs, do you return it? If not, that would be the same thing as theft, albeit with different motivation.

Sometimes things just are what they are, regardless of how it occurred.

Quote Originally Posted by AT Traveler View Post
    When you take gear to your friend and they say its not theirs, do you return it? If not, that would be the same thing as theft, albeit with different motivation.

Sometimes things just are what they are, regardless of how it occurred.
    No, that's still not theft.

This fellows poles may have been stolen, but probably weren't. Focusing on the likely answers is typically more productive.

Quote Originally Posted by Frye View Post
    No, that's still not theft.

This fellows poles may have been stolen, but probably weren't. Focusing on the likely answers is typically more productive.
    Somebody stole them that is the most likely answer.

Quote Originally Posted by TexasBob View Post
    Somebody stole them that is the most likely answer.
    However the current possessor of the poles got them (even if it wasn't outright theft), by now he must surely realize they are not his, nor any of his buddies', and he is either too lazy or doesn't know how to go about finding the rightful owner, or he decided to keep them. Who these days doesn't know how to google and would not have come upon a "hit" on WB?

So it seems likely that it has evolved into a theft. Either way, it surely feels like theft to the victim.

But there are some viable alternatives. Perhaps the person who realized that they weren't his left them at a trail head and somebody else stole them, as one example.

Interesting stuff. Any leads on who the trail head culprit may have been?

It really doesn't matter. I just think assuming theft as being the likely cause to be jumping the gun a bit.

I just realized I lost my tent poles.
    Who's fault?
    My fault!!
    Buck up Bucko!!

If you tie an eagle fearther to each pole, We'll call you Eagle Feathers.

Quote Originally Posted by squeezebox View Post
    I just realized I lost my tent poles.
    Who's fault?
    My fault!!
    Buck up Bucko!!
    My car wasn't where I left it. Probably someone took it to their buddy because it looked like the one he drove.....

Journal Entries
    Images

The Shanendoahs can be a busy weekend hiker area. Unfortunately it sounds like a few thugs have taken advantage of you. Sorry this happened. When I'm out for a month or so, I can tell when the weekends are due to the flood of ppl. At this time I'm much more cautious than when camping with other lashers or thrus.
    Take Time to Watch the Trees Dance with The Wind........Then Join In........

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
++ New Posts ++