WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Default How do you inflate your xtherm?

I've always just blown up my xlites by mouth as instructed by manufacturer...but recently bought a xtherm for winter. It comes with pump sac, I've seen the video of the guy using a compactor bag but never tried it. Thinking it might be beneficial to keep moisture out of the pad for cold weather use.
    Thx

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Try blowing through your bandana. There is resistance but it helps remove moisture. Move to a new spot every breath. Toilet paper, paper towel or anything like that will work. Use very deep and long slow breaths. Doesn't take hardly any longer and it eliminates all that fumbling around with bags and stuff. It works for me.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

Quote Originally Posted by atmilkman View Post
    Try blowing through your bandana. There is resistance but it helps remove moisture. Move to a new spot every breath. Toilet paper, paper towel or anything like that will work. Use very deep and long slow breaths. Doesn't take hardly any longer and it eliminates all that fumbling around with bags and stuff. It works for me.
    Thx I'll try my buff...

Quote Originally Posted by saltysack View Post
    .............I've seen the video of the guy using a compactor bag but never tried it.........Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Any garbage bag will do and as dorky as it looks, it works great and a lot easier. I found a 5/8" ID rubber grommet at the hardware store that works well. The bag and grommet together weigh about 1.5 ounces.

Phuff. Phuff. Phuff. ahhh. ahhh. ahhh. Phuff. Phuff. Phuff. ahhh. ahhh............. Then, stand up real fast and run around a tree.

I have the pump sack for my XLite. It works well, but it is a pain to try to keep air from leaking back out while trying to close the valve. I am working on a remedy for this. Just awaiting the arrival of some parts for my project.

I asked pretty much the same question about a year ago and got pretty the same answers.

There's this, for those of us who would rather pay to have such things made for us:
    http://www.themillair.com/
    you left to walk the appalachian trail
    you can feel your heart as smooth as a snail
    the mountains your darlings
    but better to love than have something to scale

-Girlyman, "Hold It All At Bay"

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

I wanted to keep moisture out of my pad because the reflective layer delaminated in my first NeoAir.

I tried the compacter bag method, but I just couldn't get a tight seal around the valve.

So instead, I took a light weight kitchen garbage bag, nipped a small hole in the corner, pushed the valve thru the hole and used a rubber band to hold it in place.
    However, I got tired of dealing with the rubber band and replaced it with the Therm-a-rest AirTap.

I already use a trash compactor bag as a pack liner, so at first I tried using the AirTap with the compactor bag... especially since the AirTap can be closed (allowing the compactor bag to remain water proof even with the AirTap attached). But that meant I had to dump everything out of my trash compactor bag to use it to inflate the pad, so I went back to a dedicated light weight kitchen garbage bag... still using the AirTap to replace rubber bands.

Images

I used to use a little pump but recently switched to just using my compacted bag. Worked surprisingly well.

Images

I use a Big Agnes Pumpsack, the design is soft and allows me to close the valve easily. Five years old and only one patch.

Quote Originally Posted by Malto View Post
    I used to use a little pump but recently switched to just using my compacted bag. Worked surprisingly well.
    I assume you fill bag then attach w rubber band?

I forgot to tell you that I have a self-inflating mattress and only have to do this when it's cold. You can leave a self-inflator laying open for hours in the cold and not a lick of air is gonna get in. You have to physically or manually inflate it somehow and naturally warm breath in cold weather is going to create extra moisture. All good methods above.
    "Hiking is as close to God as you can get without going to Church." - BobbyJo Sargent aka milkman Sometimes it's nice to take a long walk in THE FOG.

There is no such beast as a self inflating sleeping pad.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    (LOL) I got a Thermarest 40th Anniversary. It's like staying at a Holiday Inn Express. I've got a CS UL2. I want for nothing. (LOL)

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Dogwood View Post
    My original Therm-a-rest sleeping pads self inflate almost completely, even in cold weather. But they are heavy because the foam is solid.

Since I changed to Prolite pads where much of the foam has been cut out to save weight, the pads inflate by about 60-75% and require a few puffs of air to get fully inflated.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    My original Therm-a-rest sleeping pads self inflate almost completely, even in cold weather. But they are heavy because the foam is solid.

Since I changed to Prolite pads where much of the foam has been cut out to save weight, the pads inflate by about 60-75% and require a few puffs of air to get fully inflated.
    Yer lucky. Mine wont budge.

GSMNP 900 Miler
    Journal Entries
    Images

Yer lucky. Mine wont budge.
    Do you store them fully inflated?
    When I get home, I open the valves of the prolites (my kids use them while I'm on my NeoAir) and let them sit for a few days. Then puff them fully inflated and close the valve for storage.

If you store them rolled up, like a stuffed sleeping bag will lose its loft, the foam will lose some of it rebound.

Quote Originally Posted by HooKooDooKu View Post
    Do you store them fully inflated?
    When I get home, I open the valves of the prolites (my kids use them while I'm on my NeoAir) and let them sit for a few days. Then puff them fully inflated and close the valve for storage.

If you store them rolled up, like a stuffed sleeping bag will lose its loft, the foam will lose some of it rebound.
    Thought I was the only sorry dad!! I use the neoair and my kid has a zlite....

3oz battery operated blower
    Trail Miles: 4,980.5
    AT Map 1: Complete 2013-2021
    Sheltowee Trace: Complete 2020-2023
    Pinhoti Trail: Complete 2023-2024
    Foothills Trail: 47.9
    AT Map 2: 279.4
    BMT: 52.7
    CDT: 85.4

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
++ New Posts ++