Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Default Hiking with Children

I am reaching out to the hiking Moms. I am fortyish and considering a thruhike. I have an older child who is somewhat interested in going with me.

I have most of the gear needed. None of the funds, but plenty of ambition. Child could stay home with Dad and go to school, or come with me on an epic journey, one a last year of homeschooling.

Those who have hiked with kids under 16, how did you plan it, and how much did the kids help with the planning? Or did you just hand them the pack and say,"Let's go for a walk."

I have a loose plan in mind, and still time to save some money. We will flipflop or leapfrog a bit, in order to avoid the busy nobo season.

Advice, stories, links, discussions and gentle opinions are all welcome!

Sent from my SGH-T399 using Tapatalk

Journal Entries

Not much to say directly except I met Buddy Backpacker (2013 AT thru - youngest on record - started at age 5 completed at age 6), and his parents on my thru hike. It was so inspiring that they would take this epic journey with their child and incredible to meet them. They were home schooling him along the way, and mostly likely the best education one can have. I heard towards the end he was more able to put in the miles then his parents.

The age of the child would also be important, teens have far different requirements then younger children.

I have a preteen. We would bring a tent or hammocks, but how do hikers react to families and younger teens in regards to social situations? I am the hermit, she is quite social.

Since you say you have none of the funds, why not do a long section hike of a few weeks to a month? That way you can find out if you should even try a thru hike or not, either alone or with your daughter. You won't need a lot of money to do that and you can do it during the summer with no disruptions to school and pick a relatively quiet section to hike.
    Follow slogoen on Instagram.

look at the trail journals for the hiker family as they did the thru hike this year with an 11 yr old I think.

Thanks, I am going to do some more research. And a section hike is a definite option for next spring or summer. We have started some overnight trips and I have a longer 40 miler planned. We currently homeschool, so that isn't an issue.

Journal Entries

Preteen is good, Buddy Backpacker seemed to be the star of the show, be prepared for some questions, you will get attention. Most were interested to know how such a hike is going. You may need to leave your hermit self at home, though your daughter may field them for you.

Even as an infant she forced me out of my shell! She would have no problem socializing, that's for sure. I told her she could bring a camera and make a documentary, she's all in now.

Any age is fine really (18 months to 4/5 is tough though).
    Sounds though like your's is older, older means opinions, so what is their opinion?

The hardest thing is accepting that you are the one accompanying them on their hike.

I'd get out as much as possible and find out what your child wants to do. Kids can do anything they want to, if they want to.
    For every "buddy backpacker" there are a million kids not cut out for that.

Our last trip my son had a hard time the first day, but it was a damp breezy 40's day and not much fun. He bumped along, had some fun, and rode in the pack for a bit. Not a bad day really, just a day.

The next day was a bit warmer... He took a while to get going, He didn't want to ride at all. He drew a 25' long "map" in the trail for 45 minutes detailing everything we did since leaving the house and how we would get home. Then he did a three mile stretch in well under an hour, and ran almost a mile straight while playing a shadow chasing game.

We did a 16/17 mile out and back overnighter in 28 hours and he turned 5 two days ago. It was a fun trip but he made all the calls and I was just there to hump his crap and feed him snacks. That seems to be the most successful formula thus far for me and my buddy.

I love solo hiking.
    I enjoy an occasional trip with a friend.
    Hiking with kids is neither, it's hiking their hike.
    I have a very good time hiking with my son, but it is vastly different. Not bad different, just very different.

Assuming that your child wants to hike, your question is if that is the hike you want to do.
    I think that a section, or shorter trail (under 500 miles) is a much better choice. Preceded of course by some weekends, week longs, and other tune-up trips or even crappy weather suckfests.

I'm all for bringing your kids out, but between my wife and a few other folks over the years- I've learned my lesson and shoot for the long term with my kiddos. I want them to be out the rest of their life, not for one trip.

I suppose the reason why I posted this in the women section is I was wondering if seasoned mom's had imput with dealing with long distant with a preteen or early teenage girl. My hopes are a longish trip will build self confidence and self reliance.

Our first outing, she went to the creek to the water, and I ended helping her get back up! Just the skills to be organized and to take care of pack, working together, adjusting our pace, it is such a great experience. I want to share at least a portion of the trail with her.

Short trips build self-confidence and self-reliance. Long trips demonstrate it.

It takes a unique person to get thrown into a long hike and thrive, having Mom show the way is a massive help... Just take it slow and your odds of things working the way you want will be vastly higher.

My son is 5, my daughter 18mo. This is a topic I have studied with personal interest- the one common thread I have seen in almost every successful hike is several seasons of car camping, day hiking, and other adventures taken that work up to the long hike. YMMV.

Jennifer Pharr Davis does many hikes with her daughter, though Charley is still much younger.

You can try shooting Farmer Chef a PM, he has a hiking family.

Here is a full family (two girls, a boy- all preteen)- (if you have a BPL membership you can watch for free)- http://toesalad.com/beyond-our-bound...-video-series/

Otherwise, I hope you get some women to chime in and I'll leave you to it.

Thanks, I do appreciate your input! And really prefer the links. Earlier searches haven't got me very far.

I do have a BPL membership, I think I just haven't posted. I even took the online class, it was quite informative (I'm transitioning to tarps for when I want to go solo. My daughter prefers a tent still.

I do not mean to exclude men. But hope some other women chime in.

How does backpacking affect mood swings? Pms and such?

Here's the first episode for the Toe Salad thing-
    http://www.backpackinglight.com/cgi-...-1-tougas.html

They filmed a documentary in 20+ parts... the kids helped with that specifically too so it may prove to be of interest to both of you.

FWIW- Learning the SUL stuff is a big help when there isn't a second adult to help carry gear.
    On the tent... kids like having a "home" and with two people a sul tent is actually lighter anyway most of the time. My son and I cowboy camped and tarped a few times until I realized how much the skeeters love him.
    It seemed like a gimmick at first but I ended up getting the Mnt Glow version of the Copper Spur 2. It is only 2 oz more, which is about the same weight as a separate headlamp and having the lights made it easier to get to bed and play cards or games in the tent. They are dim enough to work as a night light too if needed.

My brain is a bit fried now. The article Toesalad did with Gossamer Gear was encouraging. Their videos are no longer free, just the first ones when they are getting ready. Although I will admit, I was accessing them from my phone, not my computer. I look forward to watching more later.

I wonder what the current numbers are for children under 15 hiking the trail each year. I suppose not everyone registers, but then again, the younger ones do draw a bit more attention.

I saw many youtubes of the hippie types, and have read stories of the parties. I'm not a prude, (well unless you ask my husband) but those days are far behind me. Family perspectives from the trail helps a lot!

Oh, I have seen the light up tents, neat idea.... We made a tiny travel checkers board and will pack a few games, and we share an ereader at night and read to each other. A bit of a splurge, but worth nice to have.

Images

Quote Originally Posted by trailhermit View Post
    Thanks, I am going to do some more research. And a section hike is a definite option for next spring or summer. We have started some overnight trips and I have a longer 40 miler planned. We currently homeschool, so that isn't an issue.
    Look at Jeff Alt's stuff heard him at trail days very good stuff for hiking with children http://jeffalt.com/

Journal Entries

I can't give any advice at all, as I am just now trying to get my kiddos outside and on the trail with me on day hikes on the weekends, but as a mother who didn't even start hiking at all until a year ago, I do want to offer you encouragement. I am a mom, so you said you wanted women to chime in... Chime! My children are 16 and 13. My daughter just turned 16 in August and my son turned 13 in July. What I have noticed, both to my absolute horror and just a tad to my delight, is that my kids, both, but especially my daughter, are subconsciously mimicking everything they see and hear me do. I am very overweight at 42 and am now trying to drop weight in a healthy way, and this hiking is a huge help in that. My daughter who has always scoffed at any from of exercise, is asking to go on my day hikes with me now. I feel horrible guilt for not getting them outside and active when they were little. This is why I see my daughter possibly having a weight issue when she gets older (Not now. She is just gorgeous right now). I should have trained them better. I should have shown them all the woods and nature have to offer. I didn't. I hate that. If I had it to do over, they would have been raised in the woods. I commend you on this effort with your girl. It will be hard and easy and fun and miserable and wonderful and maddening and it will change both of your lives forever. Its a memory that you both will take to the grave. It will so good for her and for you too and it will be wonderful for your relationship with her. You will earn respect for each other and you will learn who each other really is and you will never be the same. I am jealous. If I could get my daughter to go with me on a long hike I would do it in a heart beat. Maybe its coming in my future. She just likes baby steps. My son is already dying to go with us on our GA section in May. He will still be in school though. If we find a way around that, he is going.

I said ALL that to say this.... WAY TO GO Mom!!! No matter what, you are doing a wonderful thing and I commend you.
    " Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. "

Another issue I'ld be thinking about is kid sized gear. Sleeping bag, shoes, clothes, rain gear, pack.
    I wish I had had the chance to do similar stuff with my son. Enjoy.

She is just tall enough to fit adult stuff. But short enough the two of us fit in a single tent. I got her a synthetic bag which can handle her kid funk a bit better, and I have a tarp. Her backpack still needs tweeking, but by next spring or summer she may have a growth spurt so we'll see if different packing strategies workout.

Thanks Lnj for the encouragement. We've done a few trips, but honestly, I just realized ealier this year that she hasn't had nearly the opportunities I had to hike, fish, camp and just be outside. It was a real wake up call. We take dayhikes and set up hammocks and cook lunch outside on our camp stove, then race home so that I can get to work on time.

It's never too late to make positive lifestyle changes.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++