WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Tent vs Hammock

Journal Entries

Default Tent vs Hammock

I'm considering investing in a hammock system and I'm trying to gather opinions from other regarding the pros and cons of hammocks. I currently use a BA Copper Spur UL1 and have been looking at hammocks from various cottage shops. I'm planning a section hike for next spring and want to get set on my sleep system soon. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks

Try using a hammock before buying one to see if it's something you can swing

After years of tenting, I have been experimenting with hammocks for the last 2 years. It has pros/cons so I have not completely gotten rid of my tent and pad. Go to hammock forums. You can learn more than you ever thought possible by going to that site. If there is a get together nearby to you, you may get an opportunity to "test drive" one. Be a little careful when reading that site, some people are 'over the top" in their enthusiasm. I bought a hammock for my wife when I got mine and she never got adjusted to sleeping in a hammock so I sold hers.

It took me a good while (maybe 7-10 nights) to adjust to sleeping in one fwiw. If you are a stomach sleeper, I don't think you would like one. A back sleeper? Definitely would. You need good insulation under the hammock in addition to your sleeping bag to be comfortable, even on relatively warm evenings (60-65* F).I do like that I can quickly set up the hammock or tarp during the day as needed for a place to rest or a cooking shelter. Hope this helps.

Loved the idea and concept of hammock hanging. Tried it twice, including buying some top of the line stuff at the time (Warbonnet). I'm such a restless sleeper, I just couldn't hack it in the air. Plus there was a lot of fiddle factor in its setup, but that could have been since I was still a newbie.

I started out at Springer in 2014 with a tent and after 3 nights called my wife and told her to ship my hammock to Hiawassee. Slept great in it the rest of the hike. I got off the trail at the 393 mile mark. Never had any issues finding a place to hang. Found places where a tent would not have worked. Setup and take down can be easier than a tent.

I hammocked my entire thru in 2009. Never had a problem finding a place to hang. After a while set-up and take down were simple habit, just like setting up and striking a tent will be once you've done it a few times. Very soon I could walk into a campsite and the two "right" trees were self-evident at the merest glance.

For me the hammock is far more comfortable than a tent. It also gives me a place to sit and lounge while cooking and eating. And 2009 was a very wet year so it was nice to hang up above the soggy muddy ground.

The only down side I can see would be if you met that special someone on the trail, since a hammock is necessarily a solo abode. But I'm married and was hiking without my wife, so that wasn't a consideration for me.
    ~~
    Allen "Monkeywrench" Freeman
    NOBO 3-18-09 - 9-27-09
    blog.allenf.com
    [email protected]
    www.allenf.com

The fiddle factor must be experienced to be understood. With tents, not very many setup/take downs are required to get the hang of it. Then ground selection (drainage! rocks? roots?) is your main concern. With hammocks, a few inches more or less slack in your "hang" can make or break your comfort for the evening. And then you get to fiddle with insulation. See _The Ultimate Hang_ and as mentioned Hammock Forums, in particular look for the how-to videos by a guy named Shug. Whooo buddy!

Journal Entries

My husband and I hiked grandfather mountain a couple weekends ago. He is a hammocker and I have a tent. He is also a retired Army drill sergeant. He swears he loves his hammock and its the perfect set up and he is so comfortable and warm and yada, yada, yada. It was cold and windy on the mountain. He was sweaty from the hike. He didn't make it through the first night in the hammock. He climbed in the tent with me and didn't even attempt the hammock the 2nd night. It may be a great thing, but there are certain advantages to having your body on the ground.
    " Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt. "

Quote Originally Posted by jorge99s View Post
    I'm considering investing in a hammock system and I'm trying to gather opinions from other regarding the pros and cons of hammocks. I currently use a BA Copper Spur UL1 and have been looking at hammocks from various cottage shops. I'm planning a section hike for next spring and want to get set on my sleep system soon. Any advice would be helpful. Thanks
    Hammock Forum members are very active in the southeast- https://www.hammockforums.net/forum/.../113-Southeast

Get out and try them- the worst thing about a hammock is that unless you go with an overbuilt (too heavy to pack) monster- they are like shoes or clothes and very personal. If you can find a group hang or other demo you'll save a ton of time and frustration.

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Red Cinema View Post
    The fiddle factor must be experienced to be understood. With tents, not very many setup/take downs are required to get the hang of it. Then ground selection (drainage! rocks? roots?) is your main concern. With hammocks, a few inches more or less slack in your "hang" can make or break your comfort for the evening. And then you get to fiddle with insulation. See _The Ultimate Hang_ and as mentioned Hammock Forums, in particular look for the how-to videos by a guy named Shug. Whooo buddy!
    I spent two nights on Roan Mountain in my hammock. Low was 2 degrees and wind was over 30 mph. Snow was about 2 foot deep. I was warm, cozy and comfortable both nights.
    I am not young enough to know everything.

Springer to Elk Park, NC/Andover to Katahdin
    Images

Quote Originally Posted by Lnj View Post
    My husband and I hiked grandfather mountain a couple weekends ago. He is a hammocker and I have a tent. He is also a retired Army drill sergeant. He swears he loves his hammock and its the perfect set up and he is so comfortable and warm and yada, yada, yada. It was cold and windy on the mountain. He was sweaty from the hike. He didn't make it through the first night in the hammock. He climbed in the tent with me and didn't even attempt the hammock the 2nd night. It may be a great thing, but there are certain advantages to having your body on the ground.
    I quoted the wrong post:

I spent two nights on Roan Mountain in my hammock. Low was 2 degrees and wind was over 30 mph. Snow was about 2 foot deep. I was warm, cozy and comfortable both nights.

I am not young enough to know everything.

Haven't slept in mine as of yet for lounging yeah worth it. I do dig how fast they are to setup compared to a tent yes I have both. Also doubtful I'll give up my tent either.
    "Life expectancy would grow by leaps and bounds if green vegetables smelled as good as bacon."

By Doug Larson

After two seasons of hammock camping, I have to say the biggest challenge for me is site selection. On a section hike where you can setup camp (for the most part) where ever in the forest you want it's not a problem. But if you more often camp in areas where you have to reserve a site in advance hammock camping can be the biggest pain ever. I don't know how many sites I booked where even when the crappy pictures ReserveAmerica.com shows you led me to believe there was suitable trees on the site - many times there just wasn't and I had to sleep in a tent.

Fiddle factor is also huge for me, even two seasons in. It still takes me literally 10 times longer to setup my hammock how I like it (basically to get the angle correct so I'm not falling towards one end of the hammock) vs. a tent. I still love my hammock, but with my new tent, sleeping pad, and pillow I've upgraded to in this last season sometimes it's just not worth it to bring the hammock (well, the hammock I sleep in at least - I always bring a very lightweight and small hammock to lounge around in regardless

Quote Originally Posted by jorge99s View Post

I'd try out hammocking with a cheap homemade hammock, using a poly tarp for shelter, and your sleeping bag and a closed foam pad for insulation. Sleep a couple of nights and decide if hammocking is for you. That's what I did, and I've been hammocking about 5 years (have upgraded the hammock and the tarp, though, still use sleeping bag and foam pad).

This is a good site to start:
    http://www.tothewoods.net/HomemadeHammock.html

Another is www.hammockforums.net
    Time is but the stream I go afishin' in.
    Thoreau

I was very curious about hammocks out on the trail and talked to everyone I could about their thoughts and theories. They sure look comfortable and every hammock user I talked to absolutely loved sleeping in em. Some of the drawbacks that I saw was that with a full kit including an under quilt (during cold weather) was a bit on the heavy side and there were complaints on cold nights of getting a cold butt. Also when it rained you were either in your hammock or you were in the shelter, this leaves you with not much room for getting dressed or getting out of wet cloths and getting dry. I suppose this is why I loved the tent so much, it was more than just a covered bed, it was your shelter and you could change cloths, get organized, even take a baby wipe bath and check for ticks in an easy comfortable sheltered space, something that to me would seem difficult to do in a hammock.

Quote Originally Posted by Hangfire View Post
    I was very curious about hammocks out on the trail and talked to everyone I could about their thoughts and theories. They sure look comfortable and every hammock user I talked to absolutely loved sleeping in em. Some of the drawbacks that I saw was that with a full kit including an under quilt (during cold weather) was a bit on the heavy side and there were complaints on cold nights of getting a cold butt. Also when it rained you were either in your hammock or you were in the shelter, this leaves you with not much room for getting dressed or getting out of wet cloths and getting dry. I suppose this is why I loved the tent so much, it was more than just a covered bed, it was your shelter and you could change cloths, get organized, even take a baby wipe bath and check for ticks in an easy comfortable sheltered space, something that to me would seem difficult to do in a hammock.
    Hangfire, with a proper hammock tarp with doors (which is what most people use when they want full rain/wind coverage), with the tarp doors closed, all that people can see of you from the outside is your ankles, maybe knees down. The rest of you is covered so there's plenty of privacy.

Also, if you're under 200 pounds or so you can easily get away with a regular (and lighter) single-layer hammock and the weight is either equal to or maybe ~6 ounces over something like a Tarp Tent + sleeping pad + sleeping bag. It's only when you're comparing something like a $600 ZPacks tent (or a simple plain tarp) where the tent setup will almost always come out lighter.

Images

Pros and cons and personal preference. I tented about a decade and now have hammocked about a decade. There's no looking back for me. Sure there's a learning curve to hammocking, but it's manageable.

Some "pros" to hammocking?
    Comfort, not only sleeping, but resting, and sitting.
    Can set up most anywhere tents can't go.
    Can set up/break down under your rainfly without getting wet.
    Easy to set up without deploying the rainfly (use snake skins), so can watch moon and stars.
    Cooler in the summer.
    Your dog can sleep under you, without messing up your tent.
    You're off the ground, away from critters.
    Easy to set up stove and cook while sitting in hammock.
    Plenty of options/flexibility with rainflies. Can change out for summer, winter, rain, good weather, bad weather.
    Can set up on ground if necessary.
    [I]ye shall not pollute the land wherein ye are: ... Defile not therefore the land which ye shall inhabit....[/I]. Numbers 35

[url]www.MeetUp.com/NashvilleBackpacker[/url]

In summary, you won't know until you try it for yourself. When you do, you will either like it or not. It's like everything else gear related. Other people's opinions don't really matter at the end of the day.

Quote Originally Posted by chknfngrs View Post
    Try using a hammock before buying one to see if it's something you can swing
    I see what you did there.

I would think if you are a restless sleeper, or, change sleeping position often, you may not be able to get restful sleep in a hammock. On the other hand, if you sleep like a log, just get on the diagonal for a flat lay position in a hammock.

Once you know that you sleep well in a hammock or sleep better on the ground, proceed with plans to get gear.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
++ New Posts ++