WhiteBlaze Pages 2024
A Complete Appalachian Trail Guidebook.
AVAILABLE NOW. $4 for interactive PDF(smartphone version)
Read more here WhiteBlaze Pages Store

Default Keen Targhee II Mid - for those who have worn it, are they breathable?

As mentioned in my other thread, I am looking at a few shoe options to consider as my current mids have only a limited amount of miles left in them and they were too stuffy anyways. I figured it might be better to make this a separate thread since it is about one shoe in particular. While searching the web for a lightweight breathable mid, the one that seems to be recommended the most and has a huge following is the Keen Targhee II Mid. Its supposed to be a waterproof shoe but there are also occasional comments about how well it breathes. So for those who have worn it, is it just "breathable" compared to a waterproof boot, comparable to a trail runner, or somewhere in between? Is it breathable in the sense that wind can blow through certain parts of the shoe, or does the moisture somehow work its way out of the material? And I guess the most important question is do you end up with relatively dry or soggy feet? Sorry for trying to be so specific - I just don't want to end up stuck with a shoe isn't what I expected. Thanks.

I started using Keen Targhees 5 or 6 years ago and I'm now on my 3rd pair. Absolutely love them. Started with the Targhee Mid and they weren't completely waterproof BECAUSE they were breathable with the vents around the tongue. (Even though technology is changing, in my opinion, you can't truly have both.) My feet sweat like crazy and I wanted something more breathable to keep them aired and the Targhee style seems to do just that. I moved from TN to south GA a few years ago and decided to switch to the low which had more venting and was definitely not waterproof. Here's the thing, at least for me, I've found that you don't want a completely waterproof shoe because then your feet can't breath and they'll get wet anyway from the pooled sweat. I have hiked in all 4 seasons now with the breathable Targhee lows and they work great. I also use sock liners under wool socks which helps keep the moisture away from my feet. I've hiked in rain and snow with the Targhee Lows and they have gotten wet but with the breathability and the heat generated while walking eventually my feet dry out. That being said, you have to consider more than the shoe. Does the wind blow through? Not really but in extreme cold you may feel it especially if you're not wearing warm socks and not moving.

So my suggestion: get a comfortable, breathable shoe like the Targhee Mid or Low; wear sock liners; keep moving; when you get to camp...change your socks.

Journal Entries

I have a pair of WP Targhee II shoes. They've worked well for me. Waterproof enough, and seem to vent enough. YMMV

Quote Originally Posted by Hiker9999 View Post
    As mentioned in my other thread, I am looking at a few shoe options to consider as my current mids have only a limited amount of miles left in them and they were too stuffy anyways. I figured it might be better to make this a separate thread since it is about one shoe in particular. While searching the web for a lightweight breathable mid, the one that seems to be recommended the most and has a huge following is the Keen Targhee II Mid. Its supposed to be a waterproof shoe but there are also occasional comments about how well it breathes. So for those who have worn it, is it just "breathable" compared to a waterproof boot, comparable to a trail runner, or somewhere in between? Is it breathable in the sense that wind can blow through certain parts of the shoe, or does the moisture somehow work its way out of the material? And I guess the most important question is do you end up with relatively dry or soggy feet? Sorry for trying to be so specific - I just don't want to end up stuck with a shoe isn't what I expected. Thanks.
    I had a pair and I loved them the waterproofing was top notch but, still excellent breathability. Too bad they got stolen fromantic the break room where I was working. I just got a pair of Ahnu boots and they are awsome as well

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

You could get the Keen Voyageur :

http://ecx.images-amazon.com/images/...cL._SY395_.jpg

Not waterproof, hence highly vented.

I just happen to have a brand new pair of size 13 for sale too. A total cost of $90 which includes shipping. PM if you are interested.

Thanks for the replies. This is looking like my next pair of general purpose hiking shoes - a little bit of ankle support, some protection from the cold, breathability, and fairly light weight.

JS - Thanks for the offer, however I wear 11.5's.

I don't use WP boots often as a LD hiker but the Targhee II mids are one that I go to in a mid cut if and when...that have served me well. I've only had two of the mid cuts but at least eight pr of the low cuts. I'll be getting a new Targhee II Mid Cut soon though just to have. The mids I want to protect my ankle bones(lateral/medial malleolus) in scree, rock, going over off trail rocky passes, light backpacking/mountaineering, off trail abrasive mixed conditions in light wetness and shallow snow( 4 inches or less). I use the low cuts in town and for work also when it's cold and wet. I'll use the low cuts with a Schoeller fabric shortie gaiter if the slop and slush is deeper for hiking at a moderate pace. Deeper still it might be the mids.

OGL says it for me. http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Hiking...Targhee-II-Mid

This is an OK review too. http://centavogear.blogspot.com/2012...ot-review.html

Marketing going on here but this says it well.http://blog.keenfootwear.com/2011/05...ting-water-in/

++ New Posts ++